Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration  (Read 12478 times)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 01:52:36 am »

I read that at one stage.

I think the best part was 4-5 moves in, medic sees friend in trouble, medic shoots at bad bug, hits friend in the chest so hard his ribs are visible.
Curses, runs towards friend and fires shotgun a second time, melts friends head.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 02:41:01 am »

Waitlist please.

Spoiler: Incognito (click to show/hide)

Just tell me if I need to change anything.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 02:41:16 am »

"Um, uh... Sorry Bradley. I don't know what came over me... uhhhh..." (Walks a couple steps away sheepishly)
Begin setting up Portable Shelters, Get Dimitri to make a quick sonar scan (if able) to get a better idea of the area. Also, search the cart for any pistol or short blade weapon just in case.

((I'm assuming that the cart has most or all of what we'd need for a temporary Base of Operations))
"Just remember to buy a girl dinner before trying to kiss her." she says jokey.

A quick patrol of the nearby area(keep the transport in view)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46:44 am »

Go through the kit in the transport to see what we've got.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 02:57:22 am »

I read that at one stage.

I think the best part was 4-5 moves in, medic sees friend in trouble, medic shoots at bad bug, hits friend in the chest so hard his ribs are visible.
Curses, runs towards friend and fires shotgun a second time, melts friends head.
Yeah, it was a lava centipede. The player getting chewed on threw his gun away in favour of trying to knife the thing. Would've been fine if he had gone for his open mouth, but he didn't, and the medic rolled a one (with a -1 because he was beyond extreme range, with a shotgun) and vapourised him. :P

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:14 am »

Well to be fair aiming for eyes is the best option, soft spot on the outer body, how was he to know it had no eyes :D.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:04 am »

((Can my AI's name be Tomoko? And for his accent, he's not an accomplished linguist, so...pronunciation of names can be tricky.))

Kamanashi bowed slightly, though it looked awkward in his suit. "My humblest apologies, Yev-gen-ie-san. I do not know what came over me." He stands back up fully, and examines the cart and its contents. "There should be little difficulty. If it is truly necessary to move the cart, we have the capability." He then paced to a glowing section of wall, and took out some sampling tools."Tomoko, analyze this please, and take an air sample. I must wonder if it's a biological contaminant that was able to penetrate the suits." ((italics denotes japanese)) Without turning to look at the rest of them, he spoke. "Clay-ir-kun, would you and Jair-edi-kun please scout the area? Oisha-san, Yev-gen-ie-san, and I can set up the port."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:53 am »

PTw
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »

T+00:00:01:21

Doc stammers an apology to Clair. "Um, uh... Sorry Bradley. I d-don't know, um, what came over me... uhhhh..."
"Just remember to buy a girl dinner before trying to kiss her," Clair humorously replies. Doc chuckles nervously before walking backwards a few steps and checking the kit. There are cots and sleeping bags, as well as a number of Instant Walls, which will be good for a few rooms. They didn't include a lot of sheltery things for obvious reasons, but they do have plenty of stuff. Food, water, reclaiming equipment, even a few AlGro machines. They have just about anything you'd need.

Dr. Zwerkov seems surprisingly unfazed about the embrace. "So that's one of those anomalies they have sent us to research, eh? Oh! Talking about that light. Anyone running a few scans on it to see if it is safe? Never hurts to be on the safe side, before it bites us. Called that one, just in case." He chuckles nervously, then adds, "Ah-lright, back to protocol. And by that i mean that we can't do much about the Cart at the moment--sure hope it won't disturb us setting up port. Which I really want to get started on soon, before the next wave of weird rolls in. Speaking of the port, I really could use your opinion if we find a good spot, Kamanashi. We really dont want to screw up that one." He watched the others work a bit.

Officer Bradley turned from Doc and patrolled the area. She noted as the odd feeling faded off, and sprayed a mark to note this. Continuing onward, she saw that one of the side tunnels ended swiftly in a new chamber, with a further passage out.. Heading into it slightly, Bradley is blinded!

Khan took an inventory of the critters. Mostly rodents, but a few cats, a dog, two little chimps and a few monkies, some octopi, and even canaries, as well as less interesting animals. There's also some critters ready-to-grow, in case you run out. The group was mostly intended for test subjects. They're all in various airtight containers, mostly sedated.

Dr. Kamanashi bowed and began talking. "My humblest apologies, Yev-gen-ie-san. I do not know what came over me...There should be little difficulty. If it is truly necessary to move the cart, we likely have the capability. Tomoko, analyze this please, and take an air sample. I must wonder if it's a biological contaminant that was able to penetrate the suits." He pauses a moment before his AI, designated Alice but accepting "her" nickname, considered the question. "It seems that the air is sterile, at least of any known varieties of life. Pressure approximately 6.14 PSI or 42.3 kPa or 0.417 atm, all approx. ±0.06% of value. Gas composition: 42% Hydrogen, 22% Helium, 15% Oxygen, 7% Nitrogen, 5% Neon, 3% Carbon Dioxide, 4% Trace Chemicals, 2% Unidentified Gases, approx. ±0.3%. Recommendation: Do not inhale, due to low oxygen content and potential for dangerous chemicals." AIs are so helpful, their advice slightly less so. In any case, Dr. Kamanashi was about to request that Bradley scout when he noticed that she was doing so. "Jair-edi-kun, would you please join Clay-ir-kun in scouting the area? Oisha-san, Yev-gen-ie-san, and I can set up the port."

T+00:00:02:18
Spoiler: Base (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Anomalies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clair Bradley (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Otozomi Kamanashi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jared Khan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Doc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yevgeniy Zwerkov (click to show/hide)

I'm serious. If there's anything you think you or the base should have, speak up. I'm willing to be pretty flexible for now, but the more time passes the less I'm going to be.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:48 pm »

Spoiler: Slightly belated map: (click to show/hide)
Pay no attention to the lower right corner.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

Back up till I can see.

(Most armies have knifes. Can Clair have at least a melee weapon. Even if she does have infince ammo, you need something closer. I'm aware of the Machetes, but combat knife?)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 04:25:43 pm »

((We should have the following, I feel.
5 Solaire Photovoltaic Cell Arrays
2 Condenser Units
1 Heavy Duty Air Compressors
2 Portable Air Compressers
3 GIT Industrial Vacuum and Multi-Terrain Construction Robots(v.20.16) (Red, Blue, Green) (Power: 45/45 Hours)
1 Drill Sampler
2 Shovels
2 Laser Torches
2 Picks
2 Portable Food Reclamators(Processes foreign matter or grown food into easily edible and nutritious bars; Waste matter is disposed of.)
5 Inflatable Pressure Tents (Air supply, Pressurized, Come with an 'airlock' door) (3 meters by 3 meters)
3 Pressure Tents (Air supply, needs to be set up and sealed, then pressurizes itself, no airlock door) (5 meters by 5 meters)
10 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Compact Modules (3 meters by 3 meters by 2.5 meters, pressurized)
4 Self-Constructing Multi-Purpose Standard Modules (8 meters by 8 meters by 3 meters pressurized, multiple rooms)
1 Self-Constructing All-Purpose Jumbo Module (15 meters by 25 meters by 10 meters, pressurized, multiple stories, multiple rooms)
Segmented Pressure Tubes (200 meters) (can connect pressurized environments)
3 Pressurized Rescue Balls
5 Large Knives
10 Small Knives
20 GlowOrb Aerial Illuminators (Power: 5/5 hours)))

The technical officer frowned. Extremely flammable, this air was. Unsafe to breathe, too, with the high carbon dioxide content. The plants should grow fine, at least those that didn't need the pressure. "No one fire laser," He said, before going to the cart. "Do we have any drilling supplies or other sampling equipment to collect a piece of the glowing rock?" Finally, Kamanashi walked around a bit, noticing Bradley making a mark, and tries to find the boundaries of the effect. He decides that, as the Technical Officer, he has a duty to name this first Anomaly. Asking Tomoko to document it, he records its apparent effects, boundaries, and a hypothetical cause(unidentified gases, with some sort of corrosive intoxicant or other such chemical that could penetrate the suit) and names it Onjō.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:35:00 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »

Include some backup solar generators if we have access to sunlight. Some explosives would be nice, as well as some kind of special or heavy weapon, like a turret or cannon, for defending the base or demolishing large obstacles. Drilling equipment as well as a geo-sampling kit, if we don't already have that capability, and some sort of sonar mapping device with relay pylons that we can plant as we go.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I think Rolep covered pretty much everything I had to say. :/

EDIT:EDIT: 1 Laser Drill :3
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 04:36:24 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »

I believe we should have:

an echo-map sensor
2 large motion sensors
Space to ground position beacon

Run over to Bradley but stay 3 paces from were she stopped moving. Check her eyes for anything odd and monitor her pulse while leading her back to the cart. If she's fine once she backs away from the chamber, just check her eyes and warn her to be careful when exploring. Set up the echo sensor and get dimitri working on it to locate a large chamber we could use as our official port.

Edit: Ninja'd by Gun on the sensors.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »

Ninja central. Xl