Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration  (Read 11963 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of the Unknowable--A Game of Exploration
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »

Quote from: GWG
((We should have the following, I feel.
5 Solaire Photovoltaic Cell Arrays
No sunlight was expected--you're in an asteroid!
Well, yeah, but couldn't we set up a line to the outside? Less atmosphere to interfere with light reaching, after all.
...Why would the cells be brought into the asteroid, then?
Shush. I thought there would be at least some outer areas, particularly since this asteroid is either completely sealed in and internally heated, or about the size of pluto.
...Why do you say that?

2 Condenser Units
1 Heavy Duty Air Compressors
2 Portable Air Compressers
I'd imagined basic life-support built into your suits, but you can't live in them, now can you? Of course, it'll take more than air compression to get a breatheable atmosphere...but the Cart will have something of the sort when the next update rolls along.
Well of course it can't, but compressed air is useful for more than just breathing.
Were you thinking of things like the dart guns or am I missing stuff again?
I was thinking that with a highly combustible atmosphere, pneumatic devices are very important. That, and also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air ; It's very widely used.
How combustible can it be if it has about 40% as much oxygen as Earth?

3 GIT Industrial Vacuum and Multi-Terrain Construction Robots(v.20.16) (Red, Blue, Green) (Power: 45/45 Hours)
Construction? With what, and why on a temporary scout mission?
What is it you're imagining building?
A base of operations. I had imagined from the sound of it, that they might be needed to set up a port and do heavy lifting and the like for us, so we can get more supplies. I didn't realize we were a temp scout mission...If that's the case, why the 'Port?
So you can get back? And so more personnel can get down if needed. And so it's easier to send more missions down, although more Cargo Carts and such will still require the more expensive and difficult teleports.
In that case, we should still have at least one to help set up the 'Port.
Ther're not that complex; it's pretty small, and partly self-assembling.

2 Portable Food Reclamators(Processes foreign matter or grown food into easily edible and nutritious bars; Waste matter is disposed of.)
There's already something like this.
But it's not portable, now is it?
It isn't easily portable, but I can't think of any way to do it that would be.
The wonders of miniaturization.
How would you even "assemble" food?

3 Pressurized Rescue Balls
Not sure why I didn't think of something like that. Will be added.
Because you haven't been reading Orbital Vector enough.
Reading what?
This little beauty.
Thanks.

2 large motion sensors
Some sort of motion sensors will be added.
Cool. I think we should have some small ones too.
Why would they need to be large, anyways?
I interpret 'large' as meaning a a few inches across, rather than being a millimeter or so across. And they'd probably have a larger range, an identification system, very sensitive, etc.
Ah. All in the perspective.

500 meters of insulated light-duty wire, 200 meters insulated protected heavy duty wire and 20 Relay/Alternators/Transformers/Etc.))
Wire will be added, not quite sure what you mean by the last bit.
To be honest, neither was I. Some sort of all purpose seperator/relay.
Separator or relay for what?
Electricity. I just don't know much about energy transfer, so I couldn't say specific things, like # transformers, or anything like that.
Ah.

In your answers, bear in mind that you are on a short-term scouting/research mission, and that the managers wouldn't have given you gear for anything else without a good justification.
Well now, how's that fun? I thought we were hired by a government as the best of the best. Wouldn't they humor us a bit?
Probably, but just hiring you and getting all this stuff sent to the asteroid (especially since they're planning on the assumption that they're not getting any of the material back) isn't cheap.
True. But I think we're worth it.
Of course you would. And the management does, too, if you can justify it.

Also, could you explain the setting a bit more?
Science-fiction, presumably under some sort of hegemony of Earth but with colonies across the habitable worlds in the Solar System and several uninhabitable ones. The tech is fairly hard sci-fi, with some bending of the laws of reality. Of course, the anomalies are sci-fi softened almost to the point of goo, but no one has figured out how to harness the Anomalies yet. (In part because the ones up top are pretty minor.) Does that answer your questions?
Somewhat. What level of technology is there generally? How fast are ships, is there human teleportation, is there antimatter power? Things like that, though I know you'll just answer the questions I bring up specifically, so...
How many countries are there? I'd be surprised if Earth managed to get it's shit together and form one stable country without it being, like, a incorporation.
Are there rebellions going on for independence across the inhabitable worlds?
What are the general military firearms? Heavy weapons? Artillery?
What are the general civilian firearms?
What is typical ground transportation?
Exactly how advanced are the AIs, and what rules govern them?
Are AIs self-programming?
How long does it take to get to, say, the Moon from Earth?
What means are there for getting into orbit?
Are WMDs still a factor?
How are spaceships used? Are they military yet?
Have we found any evidence of alien life?
Are the oceans inhabited by humans now?
I can keep going...
It's pretty high. Spaceships can reach Luna within an hour and the asteroid belt within a few weeks, but that's expensive; more affordable transport takes several hours to reach Luna and weeks to get anywhere else. Yes. It's theoretical, given the issues of making antimatter without consuming more energy than you get out and making it economical.
I'm not sure.
Not major ones.
Some lasers and some kinetic; laser or explosive; plasma or explosive.
Kinetic.
Various advanced automobiles; hovercraft/"flying cars" exist, but they're impractical, due to such factors as expense and requiring a pilot's license to fly, not to mention that they're not much faster and can't go through skyscrapers.
AIs range from "no intellect" to "almost human-level," and rules which govern them vary, although they typically involve a reliance on listening to orders. Yours do so and will not harm human life unless requested to do so by the humans in question.
Not typically, but it's not impossible. Just inadviseable and often illegal.
See above.
Variations on old rockets are used in many areas, but there are also space elevators reaching from the tropics to orbit. Science is still working on antigravity.
Of course.
Mostly for transporting things or people from place to place, but some are used as full-time habitation (blurring the line between "space ship" and "orbital station" by basically being orbitals that can move between planets; these are often called station ships and usually include a centrifuge). There are a few pirates, and hence most ships have at least a little weaponry, but aside from those pirates there are no dedicated warships. In fact, most of the pirates' ships are basically normal ships with more weapons attached.
No. We haven't even left the Solar System. That Alpha Centauri ship is still being debated.
A little, but space is (ironically) more economical. Not much to do under the ocean except watch ships and oil derricks.

Does that mean our lasers will be useless?
Clair shot Doc, so it's not instantly explosive...but I would probably be careful.

And I like worldbuilding, even if it's on-the-spot. Fun fact: I made up the answers on-the-spot, and basically said what seemed best and most sensible.

Has everyone posted actions? I've been discussing the cargo so much that I haven't been paying attention. I think they have, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »

((hey scapheap, are you for or against a growing relationship between Doc and Bradley? And it all started with that first anomaly induced kiss  :P)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »

Yes, being shot with a laser is SO romantic...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:51 pm »

Yes, being shot with a laser is SO romantic...
Never question it!
[/quote]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2013, 10:23:56 pm »

Well, yeah, but couldn't we set up a line to the outside? Less atmosphere to interfere with light reaching, after all.
Shush. I thought there would be at least some outer areas, particularly since this asteroid is either completely sealed in and internally heated, or about the size of pluto.
...Why do you say that?
The fact that it has atmosphere, and the part where the oxygen isn't liquid. The atmosphere is quite thin, admittedly, but to have one even that large, it'd be a fuckin' huge asteroid or sealed.

2 Condenser Units
I'd imagined basic life-support built into your suits, but you can't live in them, now can you? Of course, it'll take more than air compression to get a breatheable atmosphere...but the Cart will have something of the sort when the next update rolls along.
Well of course it can't, but compressed air is useful for more than just breathing.
I was thinking that with a highly combustible atmosphere, pneumatic devices are very important. That, and also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air ; It's very widely used.
Uhm. You realize earth has around 20% oxygen, right? The asteroid has 15%. That, plus the high hydrogen content, make for very flammable air. Explosively so.

3 GIT Industrial Vacuum and Multi-Terrain Construction Robots(v.20.16) (Red, Blue, Green) (Power: 45/45 Hours)
A base of operations. I had imagined from the sound of it, that they might be needed to set up a port and do heavy lifting and the like for us, so we can get more supplies. I didn't realize we were a temp scout mission...If that's the case, why the 'Port?
So you can get back? And so more personnel can get down if needed. And so it's easier to send more missions down, although more Cargo Carts and such will still require the more expensive and difficult teleports.
Okay. But still. One, for heavy lifting and possible construction needs.

2 Portable Food Reclamators(Processes foreign matter or grown food into easily edible and nutritious bars; Waste matter is disposed of.)
Microbots. Or something. Biological sieve, maybe. There's ansibles, it shouldn't be that hard to make a food processor.

3 Pressurized Rescue Balls
Not sure why I didn't think of something like that. Will be added.
Because you haven't been reading Orbital Vector enough.
Reading what?
This little beauty.
Thanks.
:D Where do you think I've been getting so many of my ideas from? Though, he's sadly stopped updating it. I wonder what happened to him.

2 large motion sensors
Some sort of motion sensors will be added.
Cool. I think we should have some small ones too.
Why would they need to be large, anyways?
I interpret 'large' as meaning a a few inches across, rather than being a millimeter or so across. And they'd probably have a larger range, an identification system, very sensitive, etc.
Ah. All in the perspective.
Yup. Although that's probably not what he was thinking of.

In your answers, bear in mind that you are on a short-term scouting/research mission, and that the managers wouldn't have given you gear for anything else without a good justification.
Well now, how's that fun? I thought we were hired by a government as the best of the best. Wouldn't they humor us a bit?
Probably, but just hiring you and getting all this stuff sent to the asteroid (especially since they're planning on the assumption that they're not getting any of the material back) isn't cheap.
True. But I think we're worth it.
Of course you would. And the management does, too, if you can justify it.
Justification is my specialty. Or is it judgification?

Some more questions then. As for kinetic, is it gunpowder/solid propellant, gyrojets/micro-rockets, ElectroThermal Chemical(ETC)(they work like a car engine, but shootier), or electromagnetic?
Are there particle beams? They sound incredibly advanced, but they're basically lasers that work through rain and dust. But not in space. Usually. A little bit more advanced than lasers, certainly, but if there's plasma weaponry at all...
Are tactical nukes in common use for 'explosive'?
For transport, what about faster, smaller, quieter(just sound-wise) helicopters? Not common maybe, but like a sports car, perhaps.
Are there launch rails being used?
Are zeppelins or other types of airships being used?(they aren't impractical, trust me. For some things)
How many countries are there, as an estimate? Just a few super-powers? Most moderate sized? Lots of fractious groups?
How big of a role do corporations play?
What's the typical method of government?
What's our government's method of government?
What's our country's name?
What's the general standard of living?
How are power supplies, in general? Very efficient, still a shortage, a bigger shortage?
Where the hell are we in the Solar System?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:24 pm »

...Why do you say that?
The fact that it has atmosphere, and the part where the oxygen isn't liquid. The atmosphere is quite thin, admittedly, but to have one even that large, it'd be a fuckin' huge asteroid or sealed.
Sealed.

2 Condenser Units
Uhm. You realize earth has around 20% oxygen, right? The asteroid has 15%. That, plus the high hydrogen content, make for very flammable air. Explosively so.
You missed the low air pressure. Actually, that's just over 40% of Earth's, so closer to 30% if my calculations aren't off.

Okay. But still. One, for heavy lifting and possible construction needs.
You'll get something.

Microbots. Or something. Biological sieve, maybe. There's ansibles, it shouldn't be that hard to make a food processor.
Something that makes waste products directly into food would probably be pretty difficult, especially if using some sort of algae or fungus or something as an intermediate step was easier.

Some more questions then. As for kinetic, is it gunpowder/solid propellant, gyrojets/micro-rockets, ElectroThermal Chemical(ETC)(they work like a car engine, but shootier), or electromagnetic?
Are there particle beams? They sound incredibly advanced, but they're basically lasers that work through rain and dust. But not in space. Usually. A little bit more advanced than lasers, certainly, but if there's plasma weaponry at all...
Are tactical nukes in common use for 'explosive'?
For transport, what about faster, smaller, quieter(just sound-wise) helicopters? Not common maybe, but like a sports car, perhaps.
Are there launch rails being used?
Are zeppelins or other types of airships being used?(they aren't impractical, trust me. For some things)
How many countries are there, as an estimate? Just a few super-powers? Most moderate sized? Lots of fractious groups?
How big of a role do corporations play?
What's the typical method of government?
What's our government's method of government?
What's our country's name?
What's the general standard of living?
How are power supplies, in general? Very efficient, still a shortage, a bigger shortage?
Where the hell are we in the Solar System?
Gunpowder and the like is still cheapest and therefore most common most of the time, but electromagnetic and gyrojet are preferred in some cases by those who can afford it.
Probably.
No, that's against various old laws. Besides, you'd likely need pretty small nukes and/or long ranges to avoid being in the blast radius.
Some, yes; not necessarily rotorcraft, but craft with that kind of capability exist.
You mean, like the "catapults" in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Hm...not often, but when there's large and common off-planet shipments that can't take the Space Elevator and that can be handled roughly, sure. Obviously, more in use in the far north and Australia (southern South America and Africa lacking the resources and large mountains which would make such things economical).
Not much.
There are a few superpowers like the EU, US, New China, The Empire of the Rising Sun, etc, as well as a number of weaker nations, and of course the Hegemony which rules over them all.
They lack extraterritoriality and direct political influnece like in Shadowrun, if that's what you mean, but the free market and under-the-table dealings gives them power nonetheless. However, while the power of the greatest corporations has increased (although they're still well below the level of superpowers), so has the number, and they get along about as well as spiders.
Most nations, especially major ones, have some form of republic. They vary from the United States (more or less the same as today) to the European Union (which has a single High Minister, re-elected annually, and an adviser from each member nation) and New China (which has a number of elected Chairmen, who have a lifelong term).
The Hegemony's government is primarily composed of the World Senate, which is similar to the US Congress in structure and slightly more powerful than a parliament, and a Hegemon, who is similar to a Prime Minister, President, or a weak King. The Hegemon is elected by the Senate but cannot be a member (although a member of the Senate resigning from his seat and "coincidentally" being elected Hegemon shortly thereafter isn't unheard of or even looked down on), with re-elections occurring each decade, while the Senate itself is mainly supposed to draft laws to support the Hegemon's policies, and Senators are re-elected every four years. Senators are based in part on population and in part on existing as a nation, with one Senator for every dozen million citizens plus two per nation. The Hegemony has nominal control and minimal successfully exerted power over the colonies; a semi-formal Solar Council convenes about once each Terran year to coordinate the Hegemony and colonies so all have their say.
You are agents of the Hegemony.
Depends on world, nation, and of course social class. It's a bit like modern times, but with less abject poverty, a few more comforts, and more advanced medicine and such.
Energy and food are always in a shortage; whenever energy or food production increases, the energy consumption or population grows to accommodate it. That said, this Malthusian cycle has been slowed a bit by worldwide cooperation, so it's less of a problem than it once was.
Who, you personally? An asteroid.
Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2013, 11:01:46 pm »

For a minute there, I forgot GWG was the GM. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »

For a minute there, I forgot GWG was the GM. :P
...Is that good or bad?
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »

GWG: Inspiration = Ender's game correct?
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:23 pm »

For the government? In large part.
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »

i loved Ender's game... never did get into the sequels though. I should go do that sometime.
[/quote]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2013, 11:48:15 pm »

-snip-
You missed the low air pressure. Actually, that's just over 40% of Earth's, so closer to 30% if my calculations aren't off.
No, I got the low air pressure. What that really means, though, is that the whole asteroid won't explode. Instead, we'll be torched, like a fuel-air bomb, rather than an HE bomb. Low pressure slows down a reaction; it doesn't prevent it, especially with how much hydrogen there is(in just enough quantities to create a reaction very nicely, too).

-snip-.
Something that makes waste products directly into food would probably be pretty difficult, especially if using some sort of algae or fungus or something as an intermediate step was easier.
What I meant was that it turned, say, moss I found on the floor along with some water and this bread crust into what amounts to a granola bar, but better. Though that's oversimplifying it, of course.

What year is it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:52:46 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2013, 11:50:49 pm »

Please stop Rolep. I just want to play. XC

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »

NEED MOAR INFURMASHUN!

I'm just about done, don't worry.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 01:22:42 am »

((hey scapheap, are you for or against a growing relationship between Doc and Bradley? And it all started with that first anomaly induced kiss  :P)
Why not? It make RP more fun and maybe we will get support bonuses(not likely).
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7