Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta 2017 - To Many New Things For a Pun Title  (Read 56920 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta 2013
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 10:42:35 am »

Ooh I like the Team 750 rule. Those are all the jobs I like anyway!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:23 am »

Beserker Risk Natural Mode. On a blind run. With a shinryu and omega run goal
 Fortunately, It's not like I'm actually attempting this.

Yes. All of my yes. Although - on Natural mode, wouldn't that mean you can only get one Berserker?

That's the thing: Berserker Risk OVERWRITES options too. Could be a pain if it replaces a semi-decent base job in Water or Earth Crystals.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »

Alright, I'm gonna toss my hat into this. And I think write up a guide for it. Berserker risk doesn't sound too horrible, actually. Last years berserker challenge was all 4 characters as berserkers. Which seems boring. Grind for 5 days idly just walking back and forth, occasionally dropping potions on your party, then go to exdeath and kill him. Not much strategy involved. This years is much nicer.

Team 750 ruleset is WAY too easy. Black mage, red mage, blue mage, time mage, summoner. Yes please. Basically a given to get a form of healing, and also get xmagic. Red, blue, black, and time would be my preferred set. Yes please x cast meteo quick meteo meteo meteo meteo.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32:28 pm »

Red, blue, black, and time would be my preferred set.

Unfortunately, it seems that type of party is impossible. You can't have Blue and Black at the same time, nor can you have Red and Time. I also forsee that in a 750 challenge that the fire crystal is pretty worthless, though the Earth crystal could land you a Chemist to make up for it (again, I predict that 750 is more of a Mage/Magic Support only run)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 03:26:52 pm »

But what Earth crystal job snags you rods? I didn't think there were any? Actually, chemist can't use rods either. So, it would pick from blue/black for first job, blue/black/time/summoner/red for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Unless you keep/get given freelancers for it. Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules of the challenge.

Another tip for this run. Mage masher daggers. Buy them, keep them. Every class EXCEPT the one that has other means of producing mute can use it, and there is at least one fight where mute is almost required.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:09:18 pm »

But what Earth crystal job snags you rods? I didn't think there were any? Actually, chemist can't use rods either. So, it would pick from blue/black for first job, blue/black/time/summoner/red for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Unless you keep/get given freelancers for it. Unless I'm misunderstanding the rules of the challenge.

The Runner of the Fiesta has said that the only method of getting duplicate jobs is from the Berserker Risk, so I assume that while the theme of the Team 750 is breaking based, they expanded it into magic classes in general to get the required amount.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 07:57:02 pm »

The Runner of the Fiesta has said that the only method of getting duplicate jobs is from the Berserker Risk, so I assume that while the theme of the Team 750 is breaking based, they expanded it into magic classes in general to get the required amount.
So, it'd either be additional jobs to fill in from the last two crystals, or it would select from the 5 available, without repeating, for the final 3 crystals. So, REALLY good chance of black + blue, minimal chance of time + summoner+red.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 08:15:12 pm »

So, it'd either be additional jobs to fill in from the last two crystals, or it would select from the 5 available, without repeating, for the final 3 crystals. So, REALLY good chance of black + blue, minimal chance of time + summoner+red.

Digging around, I give you this as my proof that it is not exclusively rod breakers (the icons below the rule for classes)

... Guess I will put that in the OP

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 08:53:47 pm »

Looks like the teams will be

750: White, black, blue, time, summoner, red, geomancer, bard, chemist, dancer.
no750: thief, monk, knight, mystic knight, berserker, dragoon, beastmaster, samurai, ninja, ranger.

Both are very viable choices. I like them both.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:36 am »

To note, as always, you only get four of the ten on each list.

Also, from the OP(did nobody read it during that mini-debate-thing?)
  Team 750: Only Rod Breaking Jobs and similar

It includes Dancer, Chemist and Geomancer, like Beorn said yesterday. Those lists are correct.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:45 am »

To note, as always, you only get four of the ten on each list.

Also, from the OP(did nobody read it during that mini-debate-thing?)
  Team 750: Only Rod Breaking Jobs and similar

It includes Dancer, Chemist and Geomancer, like Beorn said yesterday. Those lists are correct.
I didn't. But yes, four out of 10 on either list is good. Limiting choices to physical or magical for each crystal means more chances for synergy. Though, magic classes don't need synergy, and limiting the final choice to chemist or dancer makes it very tempting. Samurai and dragoon are the far inferior choices there.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:11 am »

Looks interesting, and I'd be tempted to give it a try, but I'd probably need a demonstration of the rules in action. Maybe it's just my sleep-addled brain being slow but I couldn't comprehend them at all, let alone all the extra ones.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 05:37:11 am »

Looks interesting, and I'd be tempted to give it a try, but I'd probably need a demonstration of the rules in action. Maybe it's just my sleep-addled brain being slow but I couldn't comprehend them at all, let alone all the extra ones.
The basic rules are simple, and the additional rules are just refinements of the way the basic rules work.

Rule 1. Each crystal, you ask Gilgabot for a new job. Thus, after the 1st crystal, you have access to 1 job, and after the fourth and final crystal, you'll have access to 4 jobs.

Rule 2. Each time you get access to a new set of jobs, Gilgabot selects from that set. So, for the first crystal, it selects between monk, knight, thief, black mage, white mage, and blue mage. 2nd crystal is summoner, red mage, mystic knight, time mage, and berserker. 3rd crystal is Bard, ninja, ranger, geomancer, and beast master. If bard or ranger is choosen, you have to wait till you get access to them in a little bit to switch. 4th crystal is Samurai, Dragoon, CHEMIST, and dancer.

Rule 3. You can switch any character to any of the jobs you have. At least one person needs to be each job, so, after the 2nd crystal, you can have 3 of 1 job, 1 of the other, 2 and 2, or 1 and 3. 3rd crystal you will have 2 doubled up, and 1 of the other two, and the fourth crystal will have one person as each job. You can freely switch it up, and it is encouraged to, so you can find synergies between skills and abilities of the four jobs you have access to. For example, if your 1st job is black mage, and your second is red mage, it would make sense to train your final blackmage up to max level in redmage to give it xmagic, for doublecasting purposes.

Rule 4. Have fun.

The other rules are merely alternate rulesets that modify the list of rules. For example, Hard Mode puts ALL the jobs open in the pot to select from, though it will never double up, except under the berserker risk ruleset. So, for a quick example, first crystal you have the 6 jobs available, then 2nd crystal you have 10 jobs, the 5 remaining from the first crystal, and the 5 new ones. Third crystal is 13, 5 new ones, and the 7 that were left. Finally, you have the last set of jobs, 16, 4 from the final set, and 12 left selected. The reason it is hardmode is that you can very easily end up with a party of white mage, black mage, berserker, and monk, where as the normal selection assures at least a decent cross selection. Also, a VERY minimal chance of getting a chemist.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 10:55:53 am »

Completed last year on a hard run with a final team of black mage, red mage, geomancer, and archer.  Was a fun run and I was a bit underleveled by the time I got to exdeath(And I abused the hell out of the vulnerabilities to death/stone.  Though I died several times before I got lucky enough)

Looking to add berserker risk this year.  This is a really fun event.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »

I did two runs last year, a normal one that ended up with a Team No 750 team just by chance (knight, berserker, dragoon, ranger), and a hard team that ended up Team 750 (White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Summoner). Both were fun, but some mixing of the two might be nice and I might do berserker risk too.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26