Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta 2017 - To Many New Things For a Pun Title  (Read 56916 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta 2013
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 03:00:45 am »

I did two runs last year, a normal one that ended up with a Team No 750 team just by chance (knight, berserker, dragoon, ranger), and a hard team that ended up Team 750 (White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Summoner). Both were fun, but some mixing of the two might be nice and I might do berserker risk too.
I did something similar, though due to outside circumstances, I couldn't complete the tournament. Instead, i did several runs without repeating jobs. Certain jobs are FAR more powerful then most give them credit for. For example, bard. Weak, underarmed, underarmored, and it only has sing, really. But, sing is FAR more powerful then most realize. Vitality song = free battle long healing. Speed song is a non dispelable haste after long enough, and it keeps adding more faster until it maxes out. Magic, power, and Hero songs all boost straight up combat damage, and the remaining three are very useful in certain battles. For example, Omega will always be affected by the stop song, and Movers, the battle that gives 199 ap, are undead.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

Pre-Registration is up. If you want to roll with berserker risk, you have to register by the 17th.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:18:08 pm by bulborbish »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »

All signed up. I went for 750. Is that going to be much harder than normal?

Also, the new site is: http://fourjobfiesta.com/
If you use the one in the old post, some links will be broken!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:44:07 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »

Does pre-registration mean we can go ahead and start tweeting for jobs or no?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 04:23:10 pm »

I signed up for regrand.

I don't think you can start getting jobs yet - you aren't supposed to start yet! This is mainly to benefit the berserker risk players, I think, since there's a chance they'll get more berserkers the earlier they preregister.

Also it sounds like I might end up 'racing' this against a collection of my twitter contacts. I'll let you guys know what happens, though.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 05:04:58 pm »

Does pre-registration mean we can go ahead and start tweeting for jobs or no?

Nope. Everyone starts on the 17th of June, Midnight

Also, assuming your twitter account is ffschooler for listing.

Also, the new site is: http://fourjobfiesta.com/
If you use the one in the old post, some links will be broken!

Updating OP ... GO
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:28:16 pm by bulborbish »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 06:14:34 pm »

Signed up for BERSERKERRISK.  Remember to get your donations in before the fiesta starts, so we can have the most ‼FUN‼ with that.

All signed up. I went for 750. Is that going to be much harder than normal?
Have no worries.  750 is the easiest modifier.  Its jobs run from workable but not spectacular (dancer, geomancer), to outright godly (blue mage, chemist).

\/\/\/ It's possible to get abilities like white wind and mighty guard without a beastmaster if you use the dancing dirk (or any other method) to confuse enemies, and IIRC you can heal by casting flamethrower while wearing a fire ring/flame shield.  Even then, a blue mage has abilities like dark spark and the unblockable, immunity ignoring level x abilities that make bosses into complete jokes.  They're not going to solo Shinryu or Omega (so I probably shouldn't be putting them on the same level as chemists), but they're going to trivialize everything up to that point.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:12:48 pm by Microcline »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »

Its jobs run from workable but not spectacular (dancer, geomancer), to outright godly (blue mage, chemist).

Without beastmaster, blue mage is great in the early game and then worse in the late game. (e.g. it is debatable whether you will be able to get healing magic) Dancer on the other hand is pretty good throughout (dodgy melee fighter with special effects that can be substantially beefed up through items hell yes), but you'll probably only get it so late that a melee fighter will start to feel less valuable.

I dunno, just speaking from my experience with both blue mage and dancer last year.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »

I remember the game I did just last week (not done yet) I had a Blue Mage get White Wind, it was amazing. Super healing! Uses up MP insanely fast though. It seems like you have to farm a bit to learn skills though, which is kind of sad.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »

I'm doing a trial run of a normal game. Rules for me are basically the same, but I'm removing jobs I'd used in past four job runs so as to try out more.

Blue mage is great. Healing isn't THAT big of an issue. As in, I'm about to take the earth crystal jobs, and I've used one elixer. Why? Because I was lazy and just held rapid fire a and accelerate while on vampire fighting the Sol Cannon. Fun fact, a hit all attack that does 1/2 damage and HP leak vs an attack that recovers half your missing health and does that much in damage = 1 mage left out of mana with just one shot of vampire left to kill it. Also remember that most classes don't get anyway to heal effectively aside from Hi Potions, which you should have 99 of asap.

But, actually, yeah. Treat blue mages as a cross between time mage and black mage. More offensive stuff then time mage, but more buff then Black mage. The Lvl ? spells, death claw, Aquarake, dark shock. They're probably better then black mages, if only for the fact that they can use Aegis, Ice, and Flame shields, and all the rods, without using an !ability, which, I think, makes them the only class that can do that.

Dancer feels nice to me, but its pretty much a straight up fighter. Though, it is better then the thief for the Chicken Knife, at least for the purposes of this challenge.

Alright, Random Tip time.
Tip 1. Elf Capes and Guardian daggers. Keep the capes on everyone unless there is a clear reason to use a different accessory, and keep the daggers on everyone who doesn't use a weapon. The miss chances stack, and that can save a LOT of health in the long run, especially for squishy mages.
Tip 2. When in the forest that catches fire, take the chest before going down into the hole. Aegis Shield is a FAR better choice then Flame shield. 33% chance of ignoring magical attacks, yes please.
Tip 3. Do not grind. This may seem counter intuitive, but it isn't. With only 4 jobs, you will keep your abilities up to where they should be, and most bosses will be EASIER without grinding, as most of their power comes from percentage based attacks. Remember Sol Cannon? Its a lot easier to beat when one potion recovers half the damage, as opposed to needing a high potion. In fact, in that situation, even being at level 99 with 9999 health doesn't help much, as the first shot does 5000 damage. However, if you don't panic, the next shot will only do 2500 damage, so you aren't in bad shape there, but there are other bosses that do higher percents.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »

I'm doing a trial run of a normal game. Rules for me are basically the same, but I'm removing jobs I'd used in past four job runs so as to try out more.

Yeah, I'm running a trial of a Random Natural game. Some tips:

1. Once you retrieve the Dragon (the one which Lenna poisons herself on flowers, not eating grass), return to Tempest Castle to get the Bell and Sword there. It's a very cheap way to get power quickly, which you'll probably need to make killing Garuda sane.

2. You need to keep the top gear for entire party, as you can't take advantage of the Freelancer's other talents

Of course, I had the fortune of rolling a Berserker, so I can try them out too, but overall it's fun at the moment. If I have the time, I'll try to figure out how to simulate Berserker risk ( and if that doesn't work, a 2 Berserker Game will just take it's place).

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:42 pm »

1. Once you retrieve the Dragon (the one which Lenna poisons herself on flowers, not eating grass), return to Tempest Castle to get the Bell and Sword there. It's a very cheap way to get power quickly, which you'll probably need to make killing Garuda sane.
Are you talking about the Elephant thing before the water crystal? Galura? No party should have any issue with it, it'll just take forever. The only class I see having an issue is thief. Low damage, no healing aside from potions. But yeah. Pretty much EVERY boss in this game has a trick. Galura's is that it uses counter attacks. A lot of them, 2/3 chance of 2, and 1/3 chance of one of those being a nasty specialty. If you just spam attack, yes you're going to die. However, with a bunch of potions, you can easily heal up between attacks, as, aside from countering, it's a very slow critter. Oh, and white mages are going to take FOREVER to kill it, but have it easiest, as they'll have Armor and Cure.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 10:20:30 pm »

Are you talking about the Elephant thing before the water crystal? Galura? No party should have any issue with it, it'll just take forever. The only class I see having an issue is thief. Low damage, no healing aside from potions. But yeah. Pretty much EVERY boss in this game has a trick. Galura's is that it uses counter attacks. A lot of them, 2/3 chance of 2, and 1/3 chance of one of those being a nasty specialty. If you just spam attack, yes you're going to die. However, with a bunch of potions, you can easily heal up between attacks, as, aside from countering, it's a very slow critter. Oh, and white mages are going to take FOREVER to kill it, but have it easiest, as they'll have Armor and Cure.

I was referring to the freelancers, which tend to just die without the more advanced class support due to their lower stats in general.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 10:48:39 pm »

I was referring to the freelancers, which tend to just die without the more advanced class support due to their lower stats in general.
Unless you're playing a natural game, everyone is supposed to have a job at all times. Otherwise, freelancer + 1 jobbed person would be WAY too easy. Yes, stats are lower, but, one lancer with healing staff, two with the best weapon available, and 1 jobbed. Shields + massive damage + healing staff in any party = beat galura.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 11:24:23 pm »

Unless you're playing a natural game, everyone is supposed to have a job at all times. Otherwise, freelancer + 1 jobbed person would be WAY too easy. Yes, stats are lower, but, one lancer with healing staff, two with the best weapon available, and 1 jobbed. Shields + massive damage + healing staff in any party = beat galura.

Which is why I gave that tip, seeing as you get all of these weapons at the Castle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26