Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: ~You are Trapped~ *Magic!* *Adventure!*  (Read 42667 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
~You are Trapped~ *Magic!* *Adventure!*
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:35:00 am »

You are Trapped

OOC Thread
You open your eyes. The room is dim, though a bright shaft of light shines from somewhere high up above your head. A small white square is set into the ceiling, much too far for you to reach it from here. You rise from the pile of straw that serves as your bedding, your bare feet quickly growing numb against the cold reality presented by the roughly cut stone of the cell floor. You strain against the chains wrapped around your ankles and waist, tugging at the links experimentally, and look up at the faraway light once again, wondering who would have brought you to such a godforsaken place, and why they saw fit to leave you stranded at the bottom of this pit. To rot. To go mad. To suffer. You shake the thought from your head. No. You resolve. I'm going to make it out of here. I'm going to kill the bastard who threw me into this hole. And I'm going to laugh while I do it.

---

Avoid the horrors that await you in the labyrinth or face them head on, and journey to defeat the master of the dungeon. Come together with your fellow prisoners, or face a swift death. This is a high-fantasy game, but expect me to do my best to create macabre or twisted descriptions of any creatures you may have once loved. You start in your cell, and the first thing you need to do is get out.

Name: Nothing silly I hope.
Race: Human, Elf, Orc, Dwarf
Appearance: No perfect or silly characters.
Profession: What did you do before you were imprisoned? No wealthy characters (knights, merchants, nobles) unless you've been out of that job for a long time.
Skills: Choose three skills to be Proficient in or one to be an Expert in. Make them fairly specific. Ex. Axe using, small shield using, light armour using, bomb-making, leather working. Ask for what you want and I'll work with you to figure out what will be the most fair while still being useful.
Item: Optional. Choose one item that the guards wouldn't have found on you. No need to mention how it was hidden, but it has to be small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. It doesn't have to be useful, it could be a mere trinket.
Magical Potential: Choose yes or no. Magic is an invisible natural force around us that is a source of all that is material, including and especially life. It can be harnessed to varying degrees by all living things, including humans, elves, orcs, and dwarves, whether they know it or not. Having magical potential makes you aware of the magical forces surrounding you, allowing you to sense magical creatures or beings when they are near. This also makes you much more vulnerable to the effects of magicks, as well as granting you the ability to use these same magicks yourself.
Spell: If you have magical potential, choose one basic ability to start off with. I will downgrade it myself to a satisfactory level. Ex. If you choose fireball, you'll be able to create sparks with your fingers. It should be more of an ability than an actual spell, such as being able to move things without touching them, or making a rock change colour. Just like with anything else in life, experience with magic will allow you to become much better at controlling it. So perhaps after snapping your fingers for a while, you'll eventually be able to create a steady flame, then suspend the flame, and make it larger and more intense, and so on. Using magic will fatigue you, though you can grow used to it over time. As your initial ability becomes more advanced, you will be able to branch out, and become more versatile, creating three fireballs at once, or turning it into a jet of flame.

You can influence anything with magic, but doing so is extremely hard. Your initial ability will be the easiest to use, and influencing things associated with it will be much less difficult.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:14:00 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: You are Trapped: A Horror RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:36:54 am »

Players (6): Ross Vernal, Dwarmin, Zako, Xantolos, Tiruin, Xanmyral
Waitlist: gman8181, killerhellhound, Urist MacNoob, Cheesecake

Waitlisters will join immediately whenever a player finds himself dead.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:41:36 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:08 am »

I'm in too many games but meh. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tell me if I need to change anything or if anything's too OP.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 03:00:50 am »

Sounds good to me, except for the spell. Not very basic though its a good goal, and I'm having difficulty thinking of how you would scale an ability like that one down.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:02:17 am »

I don't suppose I can convince you to accept this guy, can I?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:26 am »

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:05:35 am »

I don't suppose I can convince you to accept this guy, can I?

I don't see anything wrong with him, though he is rather dull. Your character can be special without being perfect. I just meant no pristine hero types really, and having all the PCs be dregs will be more fun to write anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:10:05 am »

My intent was "He is reasonable at killing one person at a time while in situations where they are equal or he has an advantage, with specific weapons", not "He is Altair from Assassin's Creed."  (I think, I haven't played that game, but I understand that universe has assassins who are basically walking armies/ninjas?)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:13:16 am by Ross Vernal »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:47 am »

My intent was "He is reasonable at killing one person at a time while in situations where they are equal or he has an advantage", not "He is Altair from Assassin's Creed."  (I think, I haven't played that game, but I understand that universe has assassins who are basically walking armies/ninjas?)
*shrugs* Sounds like I got the right impression.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:38 am »

What about the spell be something like making him punch harder? It would only make a slight difference at first, but would get better the more he punches stuff.

Question: What kind of horrors? Ghosts and Undead? Nightmare monsters? H.P Lovecraft monsters?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 03:19:17 am »

Name: Tali Bluestone
Race: Dwarf
Appearance: A somewhat shorter than usual, but well muscled Dwarven woman stands before you, with dark black hair done up fashionably and tucked into a single long ponytail. Piercing copper eyes radiate cunning and a cold intellect, and are framed by long, emotive eyebrows that give her a slightly unsettling demeanor. At least that's what she looked like before being imprisoned.
Profession: Explorerdwarf
Skills: Navigation (underground), Spear Use, Herbology
Item: A Lucky Coin (plump helmets on one side, bauxite on the other)

Magical Potential: No

Spell:  N/a
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:21:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:20:01 am »

What about the spell be something like making him punch harder? It would only make a slight difference at first, but would get better the more he punches stuff.

Question: What kind of horrors? Ghosts and Undead? Nightmare monsters? H.P Lovecraft monsters?
How about allowing you to change yourself into things you touch (fist=stone)?

You'll see. Along the lines of nightmares.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:04:49 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:41:08 am »

Need one more player to start.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:52 am »

Ah hell, I'm in.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:11:23 am by Zako »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 11:05:19 am »

Cheesecake, are you going to change your spell?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43