Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to know which armor is the best?  (Read 3393 times)

snakesoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to know which armor is the best?
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:02:26 am »

I found steel greaves, steel plate greaves, steel paladin armor, steel winged helm...

How to know wich material or type is the best?

I guess steel paladin >>> steel plate > steel, and winged/crusaders helm is just cooler than simple helm lol
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:05:02 am by snakesoul »

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to know which armor is the best?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:31:14 am »

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. I mean I heard somewhere that "the cooler the name the better the item" but I'm not entirely convinced.

Paladin armour might just be human type armour. Plate is definitely better than standard armour though.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:38 am »

Original post seems to think "steel paladin" is a material?  it's not so, all those items are made from steel.

paladin armor, like a lot of stuff made specially for invaders, covers as much of the body (UBSTEP) as possible so that invaders can try to get away without extra gear.  it also is a bit less layer size than a breastplate so you can layer more stuff with it.

platemail is similar but not exactly the same.

in both cases the "rule of cool" should correctly indicate that they are better than regular breastplates.

>> I have been wondering exactly the same thing.

It's very easy to find (using find-in-files or grep, if you don't know what file it's in yet) anything in the raws when you want more nitty gritty details.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:13:56 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:15:45 am »

I wonder if the time this question has been asked could be lowered, if I lower the amount of flavor items in the game.

On the other hand, the problem will solve itself once all races are playable and have their own manual  :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »

Couldn't you just make a table showing the armour types with basic arbitrary defense ratings against sharp and blunt attacks?

Two tables. One listing them in order of "vs sharp" and the other of "vs blunt".

It wouldn't be perfect. but it would make it a LOT easier to pick what to forge/wear.

It sure would be simpler than trying to understand RAW files.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »

But you have no idea how that even works. The armor type doesnt do anything against sharp or blunt, the entire system doesnt even work like this.

Also: You really dont want a table with over 1000 entries anyway...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:21 am »

Most of the flavor armor seems to be roughly identical to dwarven plate of the same material.  Perhaps a list of general armor categories with a list of synonyms for each category would be in order.

Is there any difference between UBSTEP 5 and UBSTEP MAX for any of the existing races?  Dwarven plate has UBSTEP MAX while most flavor armor has UBSTEP 5 - I'm curious as to whether it would ever matter.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 03:06:36 am »

I believe 5 is equivalent to max for humanoids.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:17 am »

I usually stick with self forged steel plate (assuming I can make it), avoiding most of the Human/Drow stuff both because I'm uncertain like the OP and the spiked Drow armor seems to not like anything going over it (sorta understandable).

At least until I start throwing excess into the temple and some cool sounding stuff pops out that is probably far less protecting, while far better looking. I figure they will at least die in good spirits with their awesome Nightmare armor.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:10 pm »

I've been using welded mithril and wolfram plate.  Is there any disadvantage to welded wolfram armor other than the weight?  The Masterwork:Metals page on the wiki implies that wolfram is bad for shear and mithril is good, but wolfram's shear numbers are crazy good (between volcanic and bifrost).  The comment in the raws is a bit more consistent... "super hard, super dense, heat immune. This stuff rocks."

I plan to max out my soldiers' Armor User skill and deck them out in full welded wolfram plate.  Then layer on some Netherwood and open the circus, I guess...
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:58 am »

Will the Netherwood keep them from burning for a few more seconds? I broke into the 3rd cavern layer at my last fort, while searching for the magma sea, and my soil layers became the land of never ending netherwood supply. I know that it doesn't burn, but didn't know if that would protect my military from fire.

I usually make a few sets of decent armor/weapons to stash away in case I feel like running through Adventure mode, so that might be good for that too. For some reason I tend to run into Warlocks with the habit of either lighting me on fire, or melting my nether regions. So maybe Netherbark trousers would help...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:39 am »

I've been using welded mithril and wolfram plate.  Is there any disadvantage to welded wolfram armor other than the weight?  The Masterwork:Metals page on the wiki implies that wolfram is bad for shear and mithril is good, but wolfram's shear numbers are crazy good (between volcanic and bifrost).  The comment in the raws is a bit more consistent... "super hard, super dense, heat immune. This stuff rocks."

I plan to max out my soldiers' Armor User skill and deck them out in full welded wolfram plate.  Then layer on some Netherwood and open the circus, I guess...

Meph changed the stats on wolfram in v3 and I missed one of the two comments when I updated the wiki page.  It used to have 100 times poorer shear modulus, iirc.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »

Will the Netherwood keep them from burning for a few more seconds? I broke into the 3rd cavern layer at my last fort, while searching for the magma sea, and my soil layers became the land of never ending netherwood supply. I know that it doesn't burn, but didn't know if that would protect my military from fire.

I usually make a few sets of decent armor/weapons to stash away in case I feel like running through Adventure mode, so that might be good for that too. For some reason I tend to run into Warlocks with the habit of either lighting me on fire, or melting my nether regions. So maybe Netherbark trousers would help...

I'm pretty sure a full Netherbark covering (hood, gloves, shirt, trousers, boots) will render your military immune to all forms of heat, up to and including dragonfire.  Haven't actually tested it yet, though.  I suppose dragonfire might still destroy their armor, if they have it on over their netherbark...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »

it's worth testing; i'm afraid there are a few exposed body parts outside even a full set of armor (like nose and ears)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:37:19 pm by smakemupagus »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 12:37:54 pm »

it's worth testing; i'm afraid there are a few exposed body parts outside even a full set of armor

I thought UBSTEP covered that.  Which body parts are those?

Is wolfram based on tungsten?  The material properties don't appear to have any close relationship to those of tungsten, but the name's related.
Pages: [1] 2