Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to know which armor is the best?  (Read 3394 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to know which armor is the best?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »

If they had a Netherbark shield, would they attempt to block the breath attack? or just stand there and let their face melt like I fully expect them to...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »

Quote from:  "wiki re UBSTEP"
How many steps away from upper body the armor protects. Only present on torso armor. When counting steps, ignore any steps through upper or lower body parts(UBSTEP:0 items protect the upper and lower bodies as a result of this). Currently buggedBug:1821, high values of UBSTEP will result in the item protecting facial features, fingers, and toes, while leaving those parts that it can not protect unprotected (but still counting them as steps). Torso armor can not protect hands, feet, or heads (parts with [GRASP],[STANCE], or [HEAD] tokens respectively) regardless of the UBSTEP value. UBSTEP can also not protect parts that can be protected by LBSTEP. Example, torso armor with [UBSTEP:1] will protect upper arms, wings, non-[STANCE] tails, the torso, and lower body. However, a torso armor with [UBSTEP:4] or higher will also cover lower arms, fingers, facial features, and toes.

So ... standard clothes won't reach the facial features.  If you can make something with high or MAX UBSTEP you're good, like a runerobe?  I don't know if there's any domestic clothes with such high step.  (Likewise according to wiki: gloves and boots don't cover fingers/toes, possibly due to a bug within UPSTEP, so those digits strangely can only currently be covered with high UBSTEP torso and leg armor.)

regarding how closely Wolfram represents it's real world counterpart, I dunno, you'll have to have Meph and/or Putnam chime in.  I know in the past Meph has used real names for fantastic materials, but he might be getting away from that to reduce confusion (see: iridium replaced with orichalcum). 

I *think* that the MDFv3 wolfram is real wolfram, but that Welded wolfram of course is much heavier than any real world alloy would be.

edit:

Yeah, in fact skilled blockers can block dragonfire with even a non-firesafe shield, due to dwarf physics
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:02:12 pm by smakemupagus »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »

Good to know, thanks.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 03:58:28 pm »

Quote from:  "wiki re UBSTEP"
How many steps away from upper body the armor protects. Only present on torso armor. When counting steps, ignore any steps through upper or lower body parts(UBSTEP:0 items protect the upper and lower bodies as a result of this). Currently buggedBug:1821, high values of UBSTEP will result in the item protecting facial features, fingers, and toes, while leaving those parts that it can not protect unprotected (but still counting them as steps). Torso armor can not protect hands, feet, or heads (parts with [GRASP],[STANCE], or [HEAD] tokens respectively) regardless of the UBSTEP value. UBSTEP can also not protect parts that can be protected by LBSTEP. Example, torso armor with [UBSTEP:1] will protect upper arms, wings, non-[STANCE] tails, the torso, and lower body. However, a torso armor with [UBSTEP:4] or higher will also cover lower arms, fingers, facial features, and toes.

So ... standard clothes won't reach the facial features.  If you can make something with high or MAX UBSTEP you're good, like a runerobe?  I don't know if there's any domestic clothes with such high step.  (Likewise according to wiki: gloves and boots don't cover fingers/toes, possibly due to a bug within UPSTEP, so those digits strangely can only currently be covered with high UBSTEP torso and leg armor.)

Shirts and cloaks both have UBSTEP:MAX, so that's covered.  (I'm actually using cloaks and padded shirts on my military... since padded shirts are only UBSTEP:1, I guess the cloak will be providing the real protection.)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »

But you have no idea how that even works. The armor type doesnt do anything against sharp or blunt, the entire system doesnt even work like this.

Also: You really dont want a table with over 1000 entries anyway...

Derp.

My bad, I mixed up what I was trying to suggest.

I meant a table of basic armour types in order of general protectiveness. Like, does paladin armour  protect you more than standard steel armour? Do "Shields of faith" actually do anything special?

And the same for each type of weapon.

No need for an exhaustive list. Just the gist of it would be great.

Such as... what is a meteor hammer like compared to a warhammer? It's definitely not obvious right now. Masterwork adds a huge number of weapon types but I have absolutely no idea which are good and which are bad, so it's not clear what I should be using my rare metals for. At the moment I'm sticking to zweihanders mostly...

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 11:13:11 pm »

Do "Shields of faith" actually do anything special?
(clip)
Such as... what is a meteor hammer like compared to a warhammer? It's definitely not obvious right now. Masterwork adds a huge number of weapon types but I have absolutely no idea which are good and which are bad, so it's not clear what I should be using my rare metals for. At the moment I'm sticking to zweihanders mostly...

Shields of Faith have a 50% block chance which is equal to a shield of Armok.  If you’re using Windows OS, click the icon to “search programs and files” to quickly see the raws for any item.  Shield of Faith is in \raw\objects\item_shield_masterwork along with the other flavor shields.

Meteor hammer: yeah, that’s Meph’s sense of humor showing.  The picture in the manual is of a two-handed űbermaul.  But the description in the raws is, “Two weights chained to each other, allowing parries as well as an extremely powerful attack.”  Historically, it is an ancient Chinese weapon with its own Wiki page.  A single weight attached to a handle on a short chain is a Flail.  The “chain allowing parries” sounds longer (think Go-Go in the movie Kill Bill with her single-ball manriki-gusari; the girl was good!).  From the raws, the strongest blunt strike in the Masterwork mod is the meteor hammer, [ATTACK:BLUNT:30:10000:whirl around with outstretched arms and bash:whirls around with outstretched arms and bashes:massive head:5000]   

A meteor hammer made from welded wolfram with an adamantine rune would give the highest strike in the game.  Possibly an Improved or Legendary version can be made at the Weaponry smith; I haven’t tried.   

Smake’s DFMasterworkWiki page:Metals is a comprehensive table of the new metals’ description and qualities, and gives explanations of the metallurgical terms along with suggested uses for each.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 05:31:52 am »

Interesting, I had always though Meteor Hammers were just massive 2h Hammers, but I guess that would be more what the Maul is. I can see why they are rather effective now.
Pages: 1 [2]