Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The RNG is a harsh mistress  (Read 477 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The RNG is a harsh mistress
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

I just had a Dragon show up (first time ever! woo!)... a goblin siege arrive... and a mason get a strange mood... all within a 5 second span. (I have no military to speak of.)

I think the RNG hates me!

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: The RNG is a harsh mistress
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »

Well, at least you didn't play for a year in a fort before realising that you forgot to name it and the RNG named it Agakkamut. Its the most disturbing name I've seen yet... it translates into "Anusrippers"
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

Hmm. I never really bother naming mine, but if it gives names like that, maybe I should...

Yeah, ended up losing that fort... The dragon (or, rather, its fire) directly killed about 4/5 of my dwarves. Lost another half of what was left from wounds shortly after the dragon went down. The last 8 or so I just flung at the goblins  :D

Too bad, it was a great location: Iron, flux, magma, flowing water that only froze for about 2 game weeks, easy to reach trees, a chasm (looked like an arm bent at the elbow; I even think it had 5 "fingers" at the end) with a ton of spider silk, a narrow valley to start in (only gives traders 2 locations to enter the map). About the only thing it was missing was sand and giant cave spiders.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>Well, at least you didn't play for a year in a fort before realising that you forgot to name it and the RNG named it Agakkamut. Its the most disturbing name I've seen yet... it translates into "Anusrippers"</STRONG>

Is your dwarf civ named Goatsee the Image of Horrors?

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]