Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More than 7 starting dwarfs? (Megaproject needs minions)  (Read 8026 times)

Wynflaed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More than 7 starting dwarfs? (Megaproject needs minions)
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying a "dry run" of a megaproject, and as such, I don't really want to build my fortress up from scratch like usual.  I've already fixed the embark points so I can start off with the gear I need, but I can't seem to get more than 7 dwarfs.  I need more like 75.

I've tried using dfusion, but the darn thing doesn't give me the same screen it seems to give other people.  It gives me three options, and the first one (Run Save Script) doesn't work.  Neither of the other two have any options for modifying the embark.  And I can't quite figure out why the first option doesn't work.
This is the error I get:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm running dfusion as soon as I start DF, from the main menu screen.  DFHack seems to start up just fine. 
I saw something on the forums about modifying a "common.lua" file, but it doesn't seem to exist in my folders.  ???

So then I tried editing the raws to add the (DOMESTIC_COMMON) tag to dwarfs.  Figured peasants were better than nothing.

No dice.  Not sure if it doesn't work in this version, or if Armok just hates me.
I added it right after the (ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT) tag, if it matters.

I haven't tried with the current vanilla.  (Actually, I haven't run DF2012 vanilla at all.)  The reason I haven't is that I'm relying on the Masterwork DF workshops for my megaproject, so...

Please help me, I've googled and googled for two days now and am no closer to my goal. 

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: More than 7 starting dwarfs? (Megaproject needs minions)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:53 am »

You can't change the starting dwarves, it's hard coded at 7, But if you create a huge chunk of valuables or construction It's likely your first migration wave will be 40 or more dwarves.
As a stop gap you can mod your dwarves to move much faster by changing their speed to 0 in the entity file, I'm not 100% sure where that line is but it's quite commonly done for large megaprojects.
Also note this will work fine with an already generated world, theres no need to restart.
Edit: I may be wrong about the starting 7 being unchangable though, as i have never used df fusion, but i remember being told this when i asked a while ago.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:28:53 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:03 am »

You can have more the seven dwarves on embark, their was a mod that did it once the only problem is finding the three numbers in toadies code that did the the amount.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:42:03 am »

load an older version of dwarf fortress and copy the concubine caste since you could literately embark with 100s of them =)

add this text to creature standard in  dwarf fortress /  raw / objects / creature standard
ctrl f - search for caste. put it at the top. is where i put the following 51 dwarfbucks per servant to build large forts quickly =)

YESCONCUBINE[CASTE:CONCUBINE]
      YESCONCUBINE[CASTE_NAME:concubine:concubines:dwarven]
      YESCONCUBINE[FEMALE]
YESCONCUBINE[SELECT_CASTE:CONCUBINE]
      YESCONCUBINE[FEMALE]YESCONCUBINE[PET][CREATURE_CLASS:PET_HEALING]
YESCONCUBINE[PETVALUE:100]YESCONCUBINE[COMMON_DOMESTIC]
      YESCONCUBINE[DESCRIPTION:A companion that can be bought with hard coin. Unused to hard labor they will not help in daily fortress work. These dwarvish women certainly dont require to be married to have some fun. This will lead to more children of course. Very sick minds might even use them as decoration, put them in cages, and in some gruesome tales people even suggested using them as food. Whoever might butcher such beautiful creatures is very sick indeed.]
      YESCONCUBINE[POP_RATIO:1]
      YESCONCUBINE[NATURAL_SKILL:LYING:6]
   YESCONCUBINE[CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:STANDARD:concubine:concubines]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:37:23 am by Fairin »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:05 am »

er: "they will not help in daily fortress work" Does that mean what i think it means?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:27 am »

Spam the Force migrants command at the start until you have all the people you want.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:24 am »

Put the concubine thing up, but set them to butcherable (or stick them in a cage) and set gestation time to minimum and the growth time for dwarves to the minimum. Bam, instant workforce.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:17:16 am »

er: "they will not help in daily fortress work" Does that mean what i think it means?

that was the original intent. but they can be assigned labors via therapist =)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:38 am »

Yes, there is also a cheating option included in the therapist to let you assign labor to dwarven kids.

Easiest way for you to get a bigger workforce would be to increase litter size and set time to grow up to 1 day or so. Littersize is the tag you want, make it 10, every time you'd normally get a kid you get 10 adults.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 07:33:23 am »

Yeesh, them Dwarven women are hardy.

Azagthic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »

Hi, I am one of these "Long time reader, first time poster", and not a native english speaker. Now to the Topic...

Its possible and relatively simple.

1. Make a Backup of you Dwarf Fortress.exe
2. Open Dwarf Fortress.exe in a hex editor
3. Search for "24 18 07 00 00 00 8B" (Line 0x60D880)
4. Replace "07" with the amount of Dwarfes you want. (Dont forget, its Hexadecimal 10=17, 0A=10)
5. Save and start as usually

You dont need to gen a new World and if you want to embark with the standart 7, just replace the edited .exe with your Backup.

I have been searching for this, too, but the last Threads with the Addresses are for 0.31.21... Then after some trial and error i figured out the Address for 0.34.11
In case you just cant get it to work, PM me, I can do it for you.

Am I allowed, to upload some edited .exe at DFFD? Someone did upload a .rar for 0.31 but its offline now.
If yes, maybe for 15/20/50/100 Dwarfes, what do you think?

Wynflaed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »

Hi, I am one of these "Long time reader, first time poster", and not a native english speaker. Now to the Topic...

Its possible and relatively simple.

1. Make a Backup of you Dwarf Fortress.exe
2. Open Dwarf Fortress.exe in a hex editor
3. Search for "24 18 07 00 00 00 8B" (Line 0x60D880)
4. Replace "07" with the amount of Dwarfes you want. (Dont forget, its Hexadecimal 10=17, 0A=10)
5. Save and start as usually

You dont need to gen a new World and if you want to embark with the standart 7, just replace the edited .exe with your Backup.

I have been searching for this, too, but the last Threads with the Addresses are for 0.31.21... Then after some trial and error i figured out the Address for 0.34.11
In case you just cant get it to work, PM me, I can do it for you.

Am I allowed, to upload some edited .exe at DFFD? Someone did upload a .rar for 0.31 but its offline now.
If yes, maybe for 15/20/50/100 Dwarfes, what do you think?

*facepalm*
I read that elsewhere, but assumed it wouldn't work because I was using Masterwork instead of Vanilla.  THANK YOU for enlightening me.

I think it would be really useful for you to upload a 15/20/50/70/100 Dwarfs version of the .exe (I added 70 because it seemed like too big a jump from 50 to 100).  It would help derpy newbs like me.

Or, somebody should write about this on the modding/cheating page of the wiki.  Maybe?  Or would it be against the rules?

Anyways, this worked just fine.  Thank you!  I'm much happier being able to set my dwarfs skills at embark, rather than having to train up useless migrants/concubines.  :)
(Although the "force migrants" option was my second choice)

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »

Yes the above stuff is right on.
Another note that i have never seen anywhere, if drawven kids have a natural skill (high enough?) ..they will do those labors of that skill. Maybe it would also work with the concubines..what could be more sexy (to a drawf) than a concubine that gets her beard dusty with all her work in say masonry (for a megaproject)

Note: if you edit masterwork files...then turn around and change options..you get FUN!!..ie watch yourself.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »

There is also a simple ruby script for DFHack which let's you change that number of starting dwarves. It's way easier IMHO:)

Just put a file in the hack/script directory and name startingdwarves.txt then open it and put this in ti:

# patch start dwarf count

nr = $script_args[0].to_i

raise 'too low' if nr < 7

addr = df.get_global_address('start_dwarf_count')
df.memory_patch(addr, [nr].pack('L'))

And then change its extension from ".txt" to ".rb"

Should be started at ambarking (when you search for the place).