Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 126098 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

I just took a quick census of my roc hatchery, as they are the only animals I have in the fort that were born there. Unfortunately, there were no chicks for a blood count comparison, but the lowest blood count I could find was 35356, on a two year old roc, whereas the highest count, not including the adults, was a tie between two war rocs with a count of 569642. With an exception to the three fully grown rocs that had invaded me, all rocs are between one and two years of age, and I am currently looking at a maximum of 10 more rocs within the next few seasons, assuming nothing happens to the eggs.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »

Is this something that can be edited? Could we run a dfhack script to find dwarves born in the fort and change their body size?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »

Picks are great for tiny dwarves!  With one equipped, Edem II rocked like never before.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

7 weapon strikes, 100% serious wounds, Edem II's first flawless weapon log!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »

*Starts pumping out candy picks.*

Snow White themed death squad, here I come!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »

I have nothing constructive to add.

All I will add, is that fortress-born children tend to become mayors.  This is because they have no job and they follow their mother around stand around the dining hall because they're orphans.  They do no work, and just loiter and chat with the other dwarves, quickly ranking social and friends, easily becoming mayor.

This means, on average, your mayor is the size of a cat as he goes around charismatically pointing at people, shaking hands, and making the ladydwarves swoon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:03 pm »

Anyone else notice that we just proved the superiority of edged weapons over blunt weapons, given the improvement in combat ability of a marginal soldier. Some dwarves can kill effectively with any weapon, but other dwarves need a good pick/axe/sword before they can really cause damage.

Is this something that can be edited? Could we run a dfhack script to find dwarves born in the fort and change their body size?

Read these three posts from the DFHack thread in order:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4285060#msg4285060
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4285633#msg4285633
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4286965#msg4286965

We could probably change some numbers to increase a dwarf's size, but I don't know all the implications of the change. It would be awesome if someone like Quietust could figure out why the growth isn't happening, and come up with a binary patch.

I wonder if there is some kind of flag on the creature that allows it to grow which isn't being set in new births? It might make sense for growth checks to be surpressed on some creatures as a CPU saving measure, similar to how wild elephants don't starve to death.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2013, 11:53:35 pm »

This means, on average, your mayor is the size of a cat as he goes around charismatically pointing at people, shaking hands, and making the ladydwarves swoon.

Lol!

Anyone else notice that we just proved the superiority of edged weapons over blunt weapons, given the improvement in combat ability of a marginal soldier. Some dwarves can kill effectively with any weapon, but other dwarves need a good pick/axe/sword before they can really cause damage.

Well, we proved the superiority of edged weapons for tiny soldiers, for sure.  For full-sized dwarves, blunt weapons are still great.  The #2 in total kills in my fort is Dishmab, the macedwarf who switched weapons with Edem II for a while.  She has 207 kills vs. 223 for the axedwarf champion who had a 3-year headstart on her ;).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4285060#msg4285060
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4285633#msg4285633
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4286965#msg4286965

That is some serious !!Science!!  *Raises a mug of dwarven ale*
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:59:08 pm by VerdantSF »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:13 am »

Thing is, blunt weapons depend on size.  Small creatures can't swing them as well, and they do less damage to large creatures, but more damage to similar or smaller creatures.

Which confirms the old ideas, that spears are good for hunting dragons.  Larger creature -> Blunt doesn't work as well, because you are now 'smaller' and edged weapons still work.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2013, 12:22:42 am »

Larger creature -> Blunt doesn't work as well, because you are now 'smaller' and edged weapons still work.

Ah, I didn't think about that!  I went back to an old combat log where a hammerdwarf of mine soloed a dragon.  Good point regarding size.  There were a lot more bruises, which makes sense, since larger creatures have more tissue to pad the shots.  She got in some good hits on the spine, knocking the dragon down, but a speardwarf would likely have finished it off faster.  I still like blunt weapons for the flavor, though :).  Shattering bones and crushing goblin skulls is just so satisfying.

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2013, 08:46:14 am »

Having just snagged a breeding pair of alligators and birthed my first hatchlings, this thread makes me very very sad. :(

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2013, 10:45:49 am »

I just pictured a tiny, cat-sized dwarf trying to beat someone to death with a hammer bigger than he is! :P
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2013, 11:10:58 am »

Having just snagged a breeding pair of alligators and birthed my first hatchlings, this thread makes me very very sad. :(

While the !science! continues, I've returned to training war grizzlies.  My civ is now Knowledgeable regarding them, which is 2 steps from domestication.  If full domestication is actually possible, I plan to order full-sized grizzlies from the Mountainhome :D.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:17:26 am by VerdantSF »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »

Has anyone checked whether this applies to migrant children... i.e. do they remain at the size they were when they immigrated?  Or do they grow into adults normally?  I read the thread but not all in one go, so I may have missed it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »

Well I got a few migrant kids who showed up, let's see...
Code: [Select]
Born in 191 - Maxblood 5700
Born in 183 - Maxblood 6240
Born in 187 - Maxblood 6060
Born in 196 - Maxblood 5760
Born in 197 - Maxblood 5880
Born in 197 - Maxblood 5940
Born in 199 - Maxblood 6060

These dorfs are currently from 18 to 25 in age, and judging by the older dorfs around, they seem to be of appropriate body size. In comparison, here's the fort's only kids right now, 4 of 'em.

Code: [Select]
Born in 212(23rd of Timber) - Maxblood 2162
Born in 212(3rd of Galena) - Maxblood 2480
Born in 212(4th of Malachite) - Maxblood 843
Born in 212(6th of Granite) - Maxblood 761

All of 'em are 3 years old right now, and two of 'em are apparently still baby sized. Since the Wiki says kids reach the proper child size at, what, 1 year and 168 days/6 months, there is definitely something that's keeping fort children from reaching their appropriate size.

I'll change the adult age tags a bit, and see if this causes the kids to grow up or not.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »

Has anyone considered exploiting this yet?
Several ways have been developed to decrease death caused by fortress justice, but if you had a squad of native-born, crossbow wielding-dwarves, they might just be worthless for killing your other dwarves.

Edit:
I just ran through with the maxblood script with a migrant child who just matured. I'm not sure what to make of it.
New Peasant:               blood 3180(she's muscular)
Another Migrant Child:  blood 3980(very thin)
Expedition Leader:        blood 5880(two more had the same count a third -60)
Last Migrant Child:        blood 5571(he was skinny!?!)

Mind, I'm using a modded race, but the birthday girl is still child sized.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:35:17 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23