Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 125669 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2013, 09:23:12 am »

Double post because solution:

Code: [Select]
unit.relations.birth_time=-1
This single line of code will change a dwarf's birthday and cure them of the aging bug. Probably works for animals too (needs crowdsourced testing).

Do we have to hunt and peck through each dwarf and creature to add this, and keep checking new ones?

I'd prefer that you use a script with a multiple of 10, like Kurik's. Less chance of weird age-related problems.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:33 am »

Incredible work, everyone!  I've updated the thread and the mantis entry :D.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »

From the bug report:

Quote from: Quietust
In summary, it appears that unit growth is intended to be recalculated once per day (and offset by the time of day the creature was born), but there's a further restriction that it only does that check once every 10 ticks, so if the creature's birth time is not a multiple of 10 ticks, its size does not properly get updated.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »

Ah, so THAT explains why a small subset of native dwarves and animals were growing just fine!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:48 pm »

Oh man, that sounds like what I was having trouble with a while back with all my dogs being tiny!  I assumed at the time that I must have garbled my raws. 

That seems like a pretty big issue to have been overlooked this long. 
where is up?

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2013, 07:35:28 pm »

Oh man, that sounds like what I was having trouble with a while back with all my dogs being tiny!  I assumed at the time that I must have garbled my raws. 

It seems like we all saw the effects of the bug and simply assumed that animals were supposed to be weak.  Since the chances of a player running a fort for 12+ years and only setting up their military from those dwarven children instead of the hundreds of semi-useless migrants coming in are also fairly slim, I'm not super shocked that this wasn't observed right away.  We've been staring at this bug and griping about useless war animals the entire time assuming that was the intended behavior.

Hell, Verdant only found it because he was paying an abnormal amount of attention to a single dwarf for RP reasons!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

It seems like we all saw the effects of the bug and simply assumed that animals were supposed to be weak.  Since the chances of a player running a fort for 12+ years and only setting up their military from those dwarven children instead of the hundreds of semi-useless migrants coming in are also fairly slim, I'm not super shocked that this wasn't observed right away.  We've been staring at this bug and griping about useless war animals the entire time assuming that was the intended behavior.

Hell, Verdant only found it because he was paying an abnormal amount of attention to a single dwarf for RP reasons!

So now people need to try war animals again and see if they become awesome with the fix.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:17 pm »

Trufax.  Edem II is going to get a power-up, like an anime transformation sequence!  AND I'm going to give him back a hammer :D.  I'm just holding off until more testing can be done and the side effects of the cure, if any, can be observed.

So now people need to try war animals again and see if they become awesome with the fix.

The goblins shall face the wrath of full grown grizzlies after decades of slaughtering mere cubs!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:51:35 pm by VerdantSF »

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:17 am »

I have updated my ruby version of the fix with this post

As for side effects.  The only one I have seen is that the babies and children that are born overlarge will shrink to a normal size for their age and then grow from there. 

Not a side effect but could be considered a separate but related bug is that the game doesn't consider missing body parts in the size calculation such that a reanimated arm is the same size as the full body it was separated from.  A reanimated skin is also the size of the full body rather than just the size of the skin layer.  A dwarf that looses a limb will have the same size.

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2013, 10:46:08 am »

Would anyone be decent enough to inform a noob how to fix this in their df? I've tried DFMM, couldn't get it to work :(

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

ajg1j12 - Looks like PeridexisErrant's latest version of the Lazy Newb Pack already has Kurik's script installed.

If you want to apply it to an existing installation, rather than switching over your saves, follow these steps:

Spoiler: Step by Step Guide (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:25:31 pm by Okami No Rei »
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Deltaway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »

You guys are all awesome! :D

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »

For some reason, the newest version of the LNP causes the Legends viewer to malfunction with my current fort, so thank you for the guide, Okami.  I gave it a try and followed the instructions, but I'm getting an error message in DFHack that "fix/growthbug is not a recognized command."

*Edit* Just realized my version of DFHack doesn't have the ruby interpreter.  I suppose I'll give the update LNP another try.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:14:40 pm by VerdantSF »

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:33 pm »

If LNP doesn't work for you, Putnam's lua script should.  Same steps.  Different filename.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »

Where r14 failed with Legends mode, r17 had no problems :D.  You guys are the best!  Edem II is now a full-sized dwarf and is able to use war hammers effectively!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23