Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124503 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unluckiest hammerdwarf?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:02 am »

Dang, and I had just set up a blog to chronicle a natural-reproduction fort, and played out the first year. This is a pretty serious bug.

I bet the natural born dwarves haul rocks slower, too.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:00 am »

Is this one (plus the fort-born animals issue) in the bug tracker? I'm terrible at using that thing.

Would be nice to have this one knocked out in the next release.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

Hmm, it might explain the less than stellar performance of large squads of war animals - if you have many, most of them will be born in the fort, and with the lack of growth, they'd remain cub/pup-sized forever. And size is the main factor in determining an animal's combat efficiency.
Good point!  I stopped making new war grizzlies after seeing how poorly they did in combat.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2013, 11:26:01 am »

Is this one (plus the fort-born animals issue) in the bug tracker? I'm terrible at using that thing.

Would be nice to have this one knocked out in the next release.

I... don't think it is, actually. Could someone post it with a save and instructions on how to check via dfhack?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Make a new user, post a new issue. It will give you all the options.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2013, 11:40:32 am »

I just added this to the bug tracker, but I don't have the blood_max script for DFHack.  Anyone know where I can get that?  I searched the DFHack depository at https://github.com/peterix/dfhack, but couldn't find it.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2013, 11:46:08 am »

Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51:49 am »

<3 Bay12 community.

This explains why my Giant Dingo defense pack kept getting absolutely mauled in my last fort.

Guess I'll keep my natural-reproduction fort going, and just give the the mini-warriors edged weapons and hope for the best. This opens the question of how I'll deal with the necromancer sieges...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2013, 11:54:55 am »

Here's the bugtracker entry
Oops, I meant to post the link.  Heheh, thanks.  I need some caffeine this morning!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »

Here's the bugtracker entry
Oops, I meant to post the link.  Heheh, thanks.  I need some caffeine this morning!

No problem. I'm here drinking caffeine (TEA FOR THE TEA GOD!) and it's Friday, so forum distractions are totally motivating me to work :P

By the way, for midget warriors, I strongly suggest spears. I love spears, and always equip my military with them. This explains why my military is more effective than most...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »

By the way, for midget warriors, I strongly suggest spears. I love spears, and always equip my military with them. This explains why my military is more effective than most...
Don't they get a to-hit penalty if the weapon is multigrasp for them?  The minimum size for wielding spears 1-handed is larger than my mini-dwarves :(.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:35 pm »

Don't they get a to-hit penalty if the weapon is multigrasp for them?  The minimum size for wielding spears 1-handed is larger than my mini-dwarves :(.

Maybe, I actually don't know. Short Swords are only a bit smaller than other weapons (300 vs 400) but don't have the awesome reliable insta-kill that spears can do.
That might explain why my previously mentioned reliable militia doesn't hit as often :P To be honest though, I don't usually have a fort that lasts long enough for a second generation of dwarves. (I get bored, and start a new one)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Wow, I just caught up with this thread, and... just, wow.  This is an amazing find.  It's incredible that this hasn't been found before.

Also super amazing is that a thread about some unlucky sod not killing as efficiently as you'd like turns out finding a bug that has major effects on core gameplay.  Do love B12!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 01:02:00 pm »

People, please examine your own savegames/forts to see if this is a widespread bug. We appear to have a case of Dwarfism.
How? I don't understand how you got dwarves to be butchered, and what is this "blood_max" script? It doesn't seem to be part of DFHack.

EDIT: After a bit of searching, I've come to the conclusion that blood_max is NOT a script, it is an actual attribute of each unit in the game. I guess Urist Da Vinci either wrote a script to check it, or is somehow digging around in the actual save files.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:13:36 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »

That means fortress-born dwarfs are pretty much useless for military?
I'm still testing, but it looks like Edem II can keep up with the big dwarves when he's using a short sword.  He still gets the odd bruise here and there with the blade of the sword, where the other swordsdwarves only bruise when they pommel strike.  Other than that, he's able to sever arteries and chop off limbs without too much trouble.  Certainly better than when he was using blunt weapons.  On a side note, Edem II is rocketing up the levels in each new weapon he trains with.  I don't use danger rooms, but I think the combination of his student skill and the fortress commander's teaching skill are making the levels a breeze.  Once he hits 20 in short swords, I'll switch him over to spears and monitor his progress with those.  He's on track to be the first dwarf in my fort to reach legendary in all native weapon skills :).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:35 pm »

That means fortress-born dwarfs are pretty much useless for military?
I'm still testing, but it looks like Edem II can keep up with the big dwarves when he's using a short sword.  He still gets the odd bruise here and there with the blade of the sword, where the other swordsdwarves only bruise when they pommel strike.  Other than that, he's able to sever arteries and chop off limbs without too much trouble.  Certainly better than when he was using blunt weapons.  On a side note, Edem II is rocketing up the levels in each new weapon he trains with.  I don't use danger rooms, but I think the combination of his student skill and the fortress commander's teaching skill are making the levels a breeze.  Once he hits 20 in short swords, I'll switch him over to spears and monitor his progress with those.  He's on track to be the first dwarf in my fort to reach legendary in all native weapon skills :).

May I suggest a platinum-studded (to make it yours, as opposed to important) large iron dagger? :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23