Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124479 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unluckiest hammerdwarf?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 11:22:54 am »

So he can hit, but he can't kill? I actually may have a solution for you.

Give him a sword! I believe it's faster, and it can cut AND hurt.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

But the question is why.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:32 am »

But the question is why.

Good point. I want to peek at the save after work, and see if I can divine it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:07 pm »

But the question is why.

Especially when he exchanges weapons with a weaker dwarf and the weaker one goes on a bone shattering spree.  The macedwarf did so well with his steel hammer, she named it.  I don't know whether to smile or frown.   

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 02:25:41 pm »

Wow, I see what you mean. A huge ambush of elves (still not all dead), so far he has 1 kill, still working on another. The macedwarf on the other hand managed I think 10 kills. This is after modifying his personality.

Personality before:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that the sympathy was actually raised.

I then modified his sympathy to 1 and had him alone target a separate squad by himself. I have a full page of "bashes head / bruising muscle through the rope reed hood"

So far, change in sympathy is showing no better results.
EDIT: In fact, that elf escaped...

EDIT:
I made him legendary in all skills, no improvement.

EDIT:
I improved all mental traits to 2600, no improvement.

Edit:
I improved all physical traits to 2600, no improvement.

EDIT:
I improved all physical traits to 4000. He can finally kill an elf.
This is with his named steel mace.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:52:21 pm by BoredVirulence »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

Wow, I see what you mean. A huge ambush of elves (still not all dead), so far he has 1 kill, still working on another. The macedwarf on the other hand managed I think 10 kills. This is after modifying his personality.

Yup, this morning Urist McLuckynot was in the middle of a 100+ elf pile-up.  Meanwhile, the macedwarf gained steadily on the axedwarf commander's lead for #1 total kills, which is nuts, since he's an axe-wielder.

So far, change in sympathy is showing no better results.
EDIT: In fact, that elf escaped...
EDIT:I made him legendary in all skills, no improvement.

The mystery deepens.  I'm starting to wonder if this is actually related to the fact that he causes Legends Viewer to crash.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:49:25 pm by VerdantSF »

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »

My best guess so far, is that his previous injuries dampen is strength. While his strength was stored as 2300(?) that injury might have caused his (observable) strength to be lower.

Seriously. He was headshoting an unconscious elf with a steel mace, and couldn't do anything other than bruise through a rope reed hood!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:46 pm »

I believe the conclusion is now obvious: this "unlucky" "dwarf" is actually an elf spy! Using a near-perfect disguise (ie. he grew a beard and wore a hat over his ears), he has infiltrated your military, and is plotting the downfall of your fortress!!! ...through trees!! ...or something. But his weakness and sympathy for other living things has given him away!

The only way to know for sure is to put him through the test of MAGMA!!!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:45 pm »

I believe the conclusion is now obvious: this "unlucky" "dwarf" is actually an elf spy! Using a near-perfect disguise (ie. he grew a beard and wore a hat over his ears), he has infiltrated your military, and is plotting the downfall of your fortress!!! ...through trees!! ...or something. But his weakness and sympathy for other living things has given him away!

The only way to know for sure is to put him through the test of MAGMA!!!
The thing is, I gave him attributes that should have made extremely formidible. It took near godlike physical attributes just for him to kill an elf! If I had made the same modifications to another dwarf, he might be punching through bronze collusi's abdomens and ripping dragons heads off with his teeth!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:19 pm »

Without actual look at the events, my only guess is that maybe the game assigns "lucky" or "unlucky" rolls to dwarves at random. This guy, he drew the short straw. Could also explain the occassional super-dwarf.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »

Any mods I should be aware of?

Nope, or at least none that should matter.  I edited the raws so that the gender of certain beasts was immediately apparent, like grizzly sow, leopardess, etc.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »

I made a dwarf in the arena, that is very much a super dwarf. I made him legendary in all aspects, armed in full steel, and made all mental traits and physical traits 2600 and I made sure their personality were the same. When Edem II had these traits he failed to kill elves.

The arena dwarf fought 5 elves at once (well, they were grand master skill, I wanted to make sure they were at least as strong as those Edem II fought), and rope reed hoods offered no protection. Just fought another 8 elves at once, and again all died.

Physically speaking, these 2 dwarfs should be identical. When Edem II had these traits he could maim, but not kill. The arena dwarf is a killing machine. Edem II would have had an advantage with masterwork steel items.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »

My best guess so far, is that his previous injuries dampen is strength. While his strength was stored as 2300(?) that injury might have caused his (observable) strength to be lower.

Perhaps the wounds are technically still there, but aren't being displayed, thus giving Edem II a massive, but hidden negative modifier to strength.  That might explain why, when maxed out, his performance improves, but still remains far below his arena clone.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »

Perhaps the wounds are technically still there, but aren't being displayed, thus giving him a massive, but hidden negative modifier to strength.  That might explain why, when maxed out, his performance improves, but still remains far below his arena clone.
That's the best I can think of. Maybe someone else will come up with something better.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:25 pm »

have you all ruled out the personality values as a factor?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23