Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124478 times)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unluckiest hammerdwarf?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 04:15:33 pm »

have you all ruled out the personality values as a factor?
Pretty much, yeah.

My clone of Edem II had an identical personality. At least, identical to his post modding personality. And modding his personality didn't make a difference.

Also ruled out mental traits, such as spatial sense, kinesthetic sense, etc.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

Their body sizes are the same, as are the weapon skills.
The newer versions of splinterz' branch don't read body size, displaying all dwarves as 60000. You can find an older version, or use DFHack's getbloodcount function and then multiply the result by 10 for true body size.

Alternatively, give Edem a pick or axe plus no shield and see if he multigrasps it or not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 09:49:59 pm »

Aha!  Thank you, Sutremaine!  I just assumed splinterz DT's display was correct and variable sizes had all been normalized to 60000.  When I switched the legendaries in question to picks as weapons with no shields, guess who had to multigrasp ;)?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

According to the min sizes for wielding picks 1- & 2-handed, 42500 ≤ Edem II's size < 47500.  Meanwhile, the other hammer legendaries (1 of the hammerdwarves recently died of old age) & the macedwarf are all > 47500.  Edem II is still large enough to avoid the to-hit penalty for wielding maces and hammers, but I think there's a compelling case for his size affecting his damage output.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:53:56 pm by VerdantSF »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

so size affects preformance...

we have to do more tests.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »

Downloaded save. Used DFHack.

Edem has a blood_max of 435. Other dwarves in your fort typically have around 4000 to 6000.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 10:19:27 pm »

Ah, thanks for the info!  I couldn't find the blood_max script in the DFHack repository at github.com.  Where is it located?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 11:29:38 pm »

Edem's corpse weighs 10, whereas Dishmab's corpse weighs 138.

Edem has 4 bones and 7 meat as butchering results, whereas Dishmab has 23 bones and 21 meat.

Edem is too small to have brain, kidneys, spleen, sweetbread, tripe, liver, heart, or lungs as butchering results, unlike Dishmab. This is indicative of a small body size, and shows that the loss of size can't be caused by the old wounds.

I am suspicious that dwarves who are born at a fort are not growing up properly.

FAKEEDIT:

ALL of the dwarves that were born at your fort (and not any of the migrants) also have this problem of low body size. They are all about the same size that they were when they were younger children (based on your actual young children), despite being in their 20's! Olon II has a blood_max of 324!

People, please examine your own savegames/forts to see if this is a widespread bug. We appear to have a case of Dwarfism.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 02:14:45 am »

Good find, Urist!  It looks like this bug is even more widespread, affecting all creatures in the fort.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4284557#msg4284557

The crashes in Legends Viewer are most likely related.  I thought it was only Edem II, but it turns out that any dwarf born in the fort causes the same error.

In the meantime, I've given Lil' Edem II a short sword.  Even though he's only level 6 with short swords, and it's exceptional, not masterful, he did far better in combat than ever before!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

26 weapon strikes split b/w 5 deflections, 5 bruises, and 16 serious wounds (61%)

With blunt weapons, his percentage of serious wounds was 0-8%.  Quite an improvement!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:45:06 am by VerdantSF »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:44 am »

Wow, that's interesting stuff. I did notice that smaller-sized poultry (guineafowl mostly) never seemed to produce butchery returns and there seemed to be no consistent difference between the returns from lambs and 'grown' rams and ewes, but i had no idea it was that bad.

Hmm, it might explain the less than stellar performance of large squads of war animals - if you have many, most of them will be born in the fort, and with the lack of growth, they'd remain cub/pup-sized forever. And size is the main factor in determining an animal's combat efficiency.

And for a little mindfuck - dwarfs born in your fort can marry and have children. With the lack of growth, that should mean the baby and the mother are roughly the same size...

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 04:35:09 am »

That means fortress-born dwarfs are pretty much useless for military?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 08:02:28 am »

Guineafowl never give butchering returns, they're just too small.

From my experiments in egg hatching and butchering, newborn peafowl and geese are newborn size for about 3 seconds, then they jump to a random size with a maximum slightly less than adult.  Bottom end runs about 20% of max.

This means that adult breeders raised in the fort could squeeze out a baby that is 5 times larger than their mom.
Man, I wish Goombageek was here to draw this.

Turkeys and chickens jump to a much smaller size, less than half of adult size.  Too small, in fact, to butcher for anything.  So there is some correlation between growth rate and final size.  Perhaps turkeys, chickens, geese, peafowl, dogs, and cats all jump to a size based on their [BODY_SIZE:1:0:XXXXX] tags, the size they should be after 1 year.

I am terribly curious to find out how big baby cave dragons are.  And I am running dfhack, so I'm curious if this can be reproduced in vanilla.  But it's not going to be me doing the testing.  Been wrestling with this bug all week.  I am scienced out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:09:04 am by kingubu »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 08:14:29 am »

Its kind of funny that dwarf fortress is such an abstract game that we cannot answer basic questions like "how big is it?" through normal means.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:02 am »

Glad to see this get answered. I never even thought about body size.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2013, 09:27:30 am »

Edem is too small to have brain, kidneys, spleen, sweetbread, tripe, liver, heart, or lungs
I think I see the problem.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 10:20:54 am »

Dang, and I had just set up a blog to chronicle a natural-reproduction fort, and played out the first year. This is a pretty serious bug.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23