Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124468 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

*entitled rage about goats or something*

It's Toady's and Threetoe's hobby that they happen to let other people share. If you want a game, you can find plenty here:
http://www.ea.com/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:37:52 am by Raphite1 »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2013, 11:46:49 am »

Although to Toady's defense, we don't know how long this bug has been in, because it only now got noticed. Maybe it's been years, maybe it's been in since the last update.

Although I guess that's easy to check, just DL older versions and use DFhack in 'em to check maxblood on kids.

I have been reflecting on this, and I don't believe this affected the time period when people set up merpeople farms.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:27 am »

This is definitely NOT something that don't you want to hear about when your a newb who finally has a decent fortress, which happens to have have about 30 children/babies running around. Now I'm left with the bleak prospect of running a eugenics program to weed out the the dwarf Dwarfs in order to increase my survivability.

My fort is almost 40 years old, and even with tiny dwarves in the military, it's been fine.  I don't use danger rooms and traps are rare.  The entrance to my fortress is almost always open so that diplomats and traders can immediately start to path, instead of waiting around for the inevitable ambush.  Despite this, here's how my dwarves have fared over the years:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10 deaths for 762 total kills isn't too shabby.  Edem II, formerly the unluckiest hammerdwarf, now wields a pick.  It is THE best weapon for tiny dwarves, since it only has 1 attack, rather than the alternative pommel strikes, shaft bashes, and flat of the blade slaps of the other edged/piercing weapons.  Every single hit of his these days is a serious wound and combined with his dodge and shield skills, he doesn't get hit in combat.  For flavor reasons, Edem II is currently my only pick-wielder, but if you're worried about military efficacy, just turn all your tiny terrors into goblinite miners :D.

I have been reflecting on this, and I don't believe this affected the time period when people set up merpeople farms.

You're probably right.  People were going over butchering results with a fine-toothed comb back then.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:49:57 am by VerdantSF »

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »

It seems, we can compensate for dwarf dwarf attack weakness via avoiding blunt weapons. Armor, shield and dodging/parrying should in theory compensate for the defense weakness (as I understand it, not being hit in the first place is the main defensive strategy). What about the effect this potentially has on dwarven justice? If relative size difference between combatants is so important to blunt damage (and punching is blunt damage), then choosing the correct dwarf for law enforcement could decide the fate of your fort.

Also, paint your elite wrestler dwarf dwarves (is this becoming a meme?) blue with dimple dye. +10 points if you rename the commander 'Rob Anybody'.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2013, 12:06:02 pm »

Wow, This is pretty bad. No wonder my war dog army sucked so much at everything. I hope this becomes #1 on the bug fixing list once the next release is pushed out, because jeeez.

I recall a similar story somewhere where the old versions of DF had massive lag from dwarven eyelashes growing too long. Maybe it's time to start giving us a little more info on individual creatures and their traits if just to prevent stuff like this from happening again.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »

My fort is almost 40 years old,
10 deaths for 762 total kills isn't too shabby.

Does that include accidents?  my [INVADERS:NO] fort is only 7-8 years old and i've still had like 3 dozen deaths.  Although I did have invaders on for a few seasons by accident and a few ambushes that I wasn't too worried about took a few lives.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:55 pm »

Spoiler: !!USELESS RANT!! (click to show/hide)

Now back on topic: It went unnoticed for unknown time, because we don't know squat about the inner workings of the software. There are always quirks here and there, but THERE'S NO WAY to know what is going on, and you can always blame it on the RNG. Granted, that's part of the FUN. You don't know how many parts of the world this bug affects, and what it doesn't, and you won't be able to tell, because nobody except Toady knows. I have a feeling, that even he will have problem understanding the scope of this. What we do know is that blunt attacks and butchering is borked. How many other systems depend on size calculations? You can guess... And this is only one bug: how many other threads are started every week with "why is this happening?" or "please fix this!" Not to mention the all-time-suggestion toplist with graphics support, UI fix, multithreading, plus the modders need to do memory hacks and disassembly, and they are doing their impressing work like a person sent into an dark room blindfolded. I'm sincerely surprised that there is any modding at all.

So I'm with Gargomaxthalus: Toady's one man show IS impressive as hell, the game IS awesome, but there is only so much he can do in his time. That is reality.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »

snip

You're probably right on most accounts, but the fact still stands that DF is really the only game of its caliber. And I do not see anyone outdoing DF in terms of depth anytime soon. This bug is pretty bad, and it really does show that basic information on stuff isn't being properly tested/recorded. But no one is perfect, Toady included. Hopefully this will lead to a change in the way information is presented, if were lucky.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »

You're probably right.  People were going over butchering results with a fine-toothed comb back then.

I believe that the merfolk farm was back in 40d, and my own farming experiences in 40d make me think that animals were growing up just fine. The additional butchering products (organs, etc) were added in the following version: DF2010. DF2010 was a pretty big overhaul of the game and of bodies in particular, so my first guess is that this bug began there.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2013, 12:55:06 pm »

I believe that the merfolk farm was back in 40d, and my own farming experiences in 40d make me think that animals were growing up just fine. The additional butchering products (organs, etc) were added in the following version: DF2010. DF2010 was a pretty big overhaul of the game and of bodies in particular, so my first guess is that this bug began there.

Yes, I agree. It's likely that this happened when Toady rewrote the bodies code in the transition from 40d to 31.xx, given that the merpeople farming was a 40d phenomenon. That was the last major time the bodies code was fiddled with on a massive scale. I wonder if this phenomenon is related to rabbits not producing any usable meat in the current version, as opposed to their size merely being too small?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:56:51 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »

I wonder if this phenomenon is related to rabbits not producing any usable meat in the current version, as opposed to their size merely being too small?
I don't think so. I'm almost positive I've slaughtered migrant rabbits and you just get no meat.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:51 pm »

If relative size difference between combatants is so important to blunt damage (and punching is blunt damage), then choosing the correct dwarf for law enforcement could decide the fate of your fort.

Actually, the funny thing is, the few times when Edem II actually caused a serious wound, it was due to an unarmed strike.

2346 STR: 23 hits with a masterful steel war hammer, 23 bruises, 0 serious wounds.  ZERO :(.  The only serious wounds he managed were from unarmed strikes.

His other combat logs are the same.  Hammer bruise, hammer bruise, punch shatter, kick fracture, hammer bruise, hammer bruise... It's very odd.  You'd expect the unarmed strikes to be even worse, but the exact opposite is true.  I wonder if it's because the contact area for the fists and feet of tiny dwarves is smaller, so the concentrated force compensates, whereas blunt weapons remain the same size, despite the smaller dwarf's stature.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:06:55 pm by VerdantSF »

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »

I'm sorry to interrupt, but... am I the only one thinking this?

She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:32 pm »

Ha ha ha! Behold Edem II, Goblinite Miner!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »

Nah, your dwarf Dwarf is way too big, think realistic. :D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23