Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 126010 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »

Great info!  Imagine a horde of tiny, pick-wielding dwarves dropping from a great height right on top of goblins!  I'm guessing impact damage is considered blunt.  Is there a risk of fatal head injuries for dwarves falling headfirst?
Actually when one creature lands on top of another creature, it doesn't do any damage. The creature on the bottom just gets stunned.

Arena mode disagrees with you:
You slam into the Cat 2!
The Cat 2 slams into an obstacle!
Cat 2's right rear leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone!
Cat 2's left front leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone!
Cat 2's upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
Cat 2 is having trouble breathing!
Cat 2's right front leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone!
Cat 2's lower body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
Cat 2 looks sick!
You slam into an obstacle!
Your right upper leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone!
Your lower body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
Your left upper leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone!
Your left upper arm takes the full force of the impact, jamming the bone through the left shoulder's muscle and shattering the left shoulder's bone!
Your throat takes the full force of the impact, bruising it!
Cat 2 vomits.
Cat 2 retches.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2013, 09:33:57 pm »

I think you take much less of an impact, especially if you have on armor. I've fallen 15zs or so onto a seal and shattered the seal while only taking light bruises while in bronze and iron armor.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:03 am »

Great info!  Imagine a horde of tiny, pick-wielding dwarves dropping from a great height right on top of goblins!  I'm guessing impact damage is considered blunt.  Is there a risk of fatal head injuries for dwarves falling headfirst?
Actually when one creature lands on top of another creature, it doesn't do any damage. The creature on the bottom just gets stunned.

Wasn't this changed recently with all the other changes to falling?

Also: I now have an explanation for why my child suicide medical training squad does not reliably produce injuries Huzzah!  For now I shall have to stick to my out of work miners.

Also also: Micro dwarfs riding war-cats dropping from the ceiling to mine goblinite in the face.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:30 am »

On the matter of weaponizing.
The size determines the fall damage. And cats and crundles tend to get away with bruises after falling even from considerable heigh.
So I guess nanodwarves should make fine paratroopers. (Well, not exactly paratroopers since you don't give them parachutes but you get the idea)

Ooh! give them spears, and then they're miniature dwarven dragoons!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:08 pm »

when one creature lands on top of another creature, it doesn't do any damage. The creature on the bottom just gets stunned.
Arena mode disagrees with you
I guess that must have been fixed in a recent version. According to the wiki:
Creatures that are dropped onto a standing creature's head will generally suffer little damage regardless of how many z-levels they fell. The unfortunate creature who broke their fall may suffer significant damage, however.

I guess it has been a while since I've dropped dwarves on kittens.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2013, 01:56:22 pm »

So, guess who's making daggers forgable?

Offhandedly, are bucklers to large for midget dwarfs to wield effectively?

EDIT:  So goblin prisoners can be used to cushion a dwarf-chute?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:59:54 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »

Offhandedly, are bucklers to large for midget dwarfs to wield effectively?
:?

Shields, bucklers, and any other items you add to that file don't have size information. Just give them shields.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:14 pm »

Neither full-sized nor tiny dwarves are damaged when falling 7 levels when clad in steel armor.  I'm going to try again tomorrow with double the drop distance.  In the meantime, does anyone happen to know the minimum height to damage armored, full-sized dwarves?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:09:26 pm by VerdantSF »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16:39 pm »

Ive seen minor damage at 6 zlevels.  Full clad iron and partially trained.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:47 am »

Ah, you're right!  When I tried a 7-level fall again, the 3 full-sized dwarves all got 1 or 2 bruises, while the three tiny dwarves remained unscathed :D.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:48 am »

I guess I'll slaughter all those bears I've been breeding. Major letdown there. Perhaps I should just train the bears I buy and keep the midget baby bears for non-fighting tasks. At least the 'war' tag will help me keep them sorted. I am also seriously considering altering raws to make my fortress population migrant only with *NO* children. The seething waves of useless migrant children are a bane.

Even if pickaxes are decent for native military dwarves, they still need to multigrasp and can't weild shields too, except in the luckier cases.

Kitting out miners in armor seems like an interesting idea though. I've lost several to strange injuries when channeling away up/down staircases in groups of 3-4. Armor might go a long way to preventing this from happening. It's also had severe implications on my hunt for the perfect death trap, but that's something I knew already. Armored goblins were surving long falls with only moderate injuries.

Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2013, 03:30:07 am »

You can't armour off-duty dwarves with the Miner job enabled, because the Miner 'uniform' of 'pickaxe, over clothing' overrides any uniform you assign yourself.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2013, 06:12:09 am »

Has there been any word about this issue from Toady? Was this discussed in DFtalk?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2013, 06:32:14 am »

I just thought about this. If you're going for a butcher thing, super huge animals that take forever to fully mature would be great right now. Since the babies never grow in size, waiting the 5 or more years some creatures require till they become an adult is not necessary to maximize your returns. So, slaughtering a new born isn't only fun for the family, it's efficient.

I guess I'll slaughter all those bears I've been breeding. Major letdown there. Perhaps I should just train the bears I buy and keep the midget baby bears for non-fighting tasks. At least the 'war' tag will help me keep them sorted. I am also seriously considering altering raws to make my fortress population migrant only with *NO* children. The seething waves of useless migrant children are a bane.

Even if pickaxes are decent for native military dwarves, they still need to multigrasp and can't weild shields too, except in the luckier cases.

Kitting out miners in armor seems like an interesting idea though. I've lost several to strange injuries when channeling away up/down staircases in groups of 3-4. Armor might go a long way to preventing this from happening. It's also had severe implications on my hunt for the perfect death trap, but that's something I knew already. Armored goblins were surving long falls with only moderate injuries.
You can wield multi-grasp weapons single handed, it just gives them a lower hit chance. Which you'll probably hardly notice. And as Sutremaine said, you can't armor up miner Dwarfs cause of a hard coded miner/woodcutter/hunter uniform. There was a work around to it found here. I tried fiddling with it last week, but it kicked my ass.

Has there been any word about this issue from Toady? Was this discussed in DFtalk?
I'm downloading the new DFtalk to see. If he did, and I'm the first to report back, I'll tell ya what was said about it.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:21 am »

I'm downloading the new DFtalk to see. If he did, and I'm the first to report back, I'll tell ya what was said about it.

You won't find anything about it in DFtalk, the microdwarf issue was not know at the time the Dftalk was recorded. The bug has been acknowledged on the bugtracker, but no official response yet.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23