Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 125922 times)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2013, 09:11:17 am »

Do what now? You can't ass to mod it? What person ever claimed that DF is bug free?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2013, 11:06:50 am »

Let's stop this hating on DF and Toady's coding before it gets out of hand. It's understandable to be a little miffed about a bug like this in Dwarf Fortress. But it's a game, not life support. And it's not actually game-breaking, considering you can change a couple values and deal with the worst half of the problem (dwarf size). In all honesty this is just another inconvenience that DF figured out how to work past while Toady figures out how to fix it. Like always, ye of little faith.

Yes, I want this fixed as soon as possible, but I won't let one of the many, many bugs I've seen in DF ruin the experience for me. Nor will I let it fester into the apparent dislike of Toady's M.O. when it comes to coding his brainchild.

On the other hand, perhaps it was intentional and meant to nerf wrestling some more :p

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »

Let's stop this hating on DF and Toady's coding before it gets out of hand. It's understandable to be a little miffed about a bug like this in Dwarf Fortress. But it's a game, not life support. And it's not actually game-breaking, considering you can change a couple values and deal with the worst half of the problem (dwarf size). In all honesty this is just another inconvenience that DF figured out how to work past while Toady figures out how to fix it. Like always, ye of little faith.

Yes, I want this fixed as soon as possible, but I won't let one of the many, many bugs I've seen in DF ruin the experience for me. Nor will I let it fester into the apparent dislike of Toady's M.O. when it comes to coding his brainchild.

On the other hand, perhaps it was intentional and meant to nerf wrestling some more :p

MY GODS!  HE'S USING REASON!  EVERYONE PANIC!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2013, 02:16:58 pm »

Go into the raws and change the baby and child size to adult size.

Great suggestion!  I'm going to do the same for my war animals so the next generation can actually put up a fight.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2013, 02:21:07 pm »

Has anyone actually tested how this affects domestic birds?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »

So, I'm still hatching eggs.

There is some growth taking place.  Peafowl and geese give some bones right at birth, chickens and turkeys do not.  But if you, say, forget about the birds for a while and then get back to them because your combat logs are filling up with cat vs bird fights because somehow a cat got locked in your bird room, well then, slaughtering two year old birds is the same.  Except turkeys now give bones.  Easily more than the others.

At some point the turkeys got larger.  Still not full size, maybe 20-30% give bones. 

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make a graph or something with a lua script. 

Edit: Weird, someone was asking about birds as I typed this.
Has anyone actually tested how this affects domestic birds?
Edit Edit: Yeah, I've hatched about 5000 birds in the last few weeks. 
tl;dr version is raise peafowl or geese and slaughter them immediately for best returns.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:25:50 pm by kingubu »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2013, 02:34:56 pm »

Huh. So not even Turkeys ever give meat?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »

No, if they give bones they give meat.  You just have to wait for turkeys to grow.  Peafowl and geese can be slaughtered as soon as they hatch.

Turkeys do give 2 meat, 2 fat, a skull, and a skin at birth a percentage of the time.  I'm just focused on bone carving so I mostly just track bone returns.

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2013, 03:44:15 pm »

If you are using the unit-info-viewer I made, you would be able to check their size at birth (which is often much larger than expected) and compare it to when they are a year or two old.  Bones should be provided when the unit is at size 283 or more.  I doubt that those birds really grew but were born large to begin with.  If they did truly grow, I would like to see some seasonal saves where something grew so that I can try to figure out why.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out how to calculate the other related sizes and have deciphered a bunch of info on many of the unknowns in the body_plan structure which I am planning on posting to the dfhack thread latter.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »

Ajusting the Infant/Child sizes seems like a good workaround.
I forsee that dwarven mothers will move a LOT slower since they have to haul all that extra weight.
Which I guess is actually more realistic than drafting all the moms into the military and birthing while in a sparring session.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »

Ajusting the Infant/Child sizes seems like a good workaround.
I forsee that dwarven mothers will move a LOT slower since they have to haul all that extra weight.
Which I guess is actually more realistic than drafting all the moms into the military and birthing while in a sparring session making baby smoothies in the danger room.

I fixed it for ya  ;D
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2013, 02:57:22 am »

Hmm. Can I keep the baby size the same but make the child grow to adult size?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2013, 04:39:19 am »

I believe they'd be stuck at baby size if they started/came to the fort as babies.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:13 am »

so, um can somebody please post the mechanics of how to actually edit the raws for a work-around on this?
Has somebody built a script or exe that will just run through all the raws and fix them for other animals?

can we sticky either/both to the beginning of the thread?

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2013, 11:48:26 am »

so, um can somebody please post the mechanics of how to actually edit the raws for a work-around on this?

I believe that's what the DFHack people and the Modding sub-forum community are working on it right now. I think that they will place the fixes into the DFHack tool or the Lazy Newb Pack whenever they're ready.

I plan to start testing this issue, once I'm done testing the fix for vampire alcohol dependency.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23