Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124476 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress-born dwarves & animals are not growing to adult size!
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2013, 06:20:00 pm »

Ugh, well to muddy the waters, sometimes birds grow, sometimes they don't.

Wrote this script to dump all the bird sizes to a file
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ran it every season for a year on 400+ birds.
Data here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7742

Long story short, about 10% of chicks grow properly.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Edit:  Birds that grow properly are all of the same clutch as well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:49:53 pm by kingubu »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2013, 12:11:13 am »

I found (over in the DFHack thread) that the bug also prevents proper size calculation for strength and fatness. The old and young dwarves in your fort that grow properly aren't affected, but the rest will keep to a single body size regardless of how much they eat. This means that if the bug is fixed, all of your corpulent lazy adult dwarves will suddenly need bigger belts and will move slower because of their increased size.

Currently if you view an obese dwarf's info page, it will correctly tell you how fat they should be, but this currently doesn't affect how fast they move or what size of pressure plate they will trigger for bugged dwarves.

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:15 pm »

Using a modification of kingubu's script, I confirmed that in my test sample, one out of 12 clutches are growing.  I started with 3 females each (peafowl, goose, chicken, turkey) and one male each. In the second batch of eggs, again, one out of the 12 clutches are growing, but I managed to catch that clutch soon after birth and found that when they "grew" they shrank to a normal size for their age.  Also, I noticed that they grow when unit.relations.birth_time mod 1200 == df.global.cur_year_tick mod 1200. 

Spoiler: The modified script (click to show/hide)

My data dumps

Edit:  forgot the code tag
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:55:02 pm by Kurik Amudnil »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »

Edited due to cure being found!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:28:23 am by VerdantSF »

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2013, 07:06:56 pm »

Patched Vanilla Raws, as well as a .dfmod file for DF Mod Manager 0.7

Do PM me if I've missed something.  I'm just now testing it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:45:46 pm by Okami No Rei »
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »

Adjusting the Infant/Child sizes seems like a good workaround.
I foresee that dwarven mothers will move a LOT slower since they have to haul all that extra weight.
Which I guess is actually more realistic than drafting all the moms into the military and birthing while in a sparring session.
I guess they're going to turn into dreadnoughts with that: normal babies are able to stop a couple of arrows or a single strike with halberd, now imagine a meatshield of the size of an adult dwarf, also greater size would allow them to actually punch someone to death while mommy is busy swinging an axe.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »

Using a modification of kingubu's script, I confirmed that in my test sample, one out of 12 clutches are growing.  I started with 3 females each (peafowl, goose, chicken, turkey) and one male each. In the second batch of eggs, again, one out of the 12 clutches are growing, but I managed to catch that clutch soon after birth and found that when they "grew" they shrank to a normal size for their age.  Also, I noticed that they grow when unit.relations.birth_time mod 1200 == df.global.cur_year_tick mod 1200. 

So a clutch of birds that are all born at the same time either all have the bug or all don't. What creature type grew properly in the first batch? Was it the same as the creature type for the second batch? The same mother? Do you have their birth times from DFHack?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:07 pm »

Double post because solution:

Code: [Select]
unit.relations.birth_time=-1
This single line of code will change a dwarf's birthday and cure them of the aging bug. Probably works for animals too (needs crowdsourced testing).

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59:46 pm »

This single line of code will change a dwarf's birthday and cure them of the aging bug. Probably works for animals too (needs crowdsourced testing).

Wow, I will have to try that.  And some variations.   As for the birds in my test, the first set that worked were geese, the second set were chickens, so not the same mother.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

Urist Da Vinci, you are amazing. did you know that?

Could somebody add this info to
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6334
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2013, 12:30:03 am »

in my few test that I have done so far, yes -1 works.  however, I also found that a multiple of 1200 works.  Then I found that a multiple of 10 works.  All of the birds that were growing were born on a tick ending in zero.  This means that we don't have to totally mess up their birth time.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2013, 01:33:43 am »

in my few test that I have done so far, yes -1 works.  however, I also found that a multiple of 1200 works.  Then I found that a multiple of 10 works.  All of the birds that were growing were born on a tick ending in zero.  This means that we don't have to totally mess up their birth time.

That is... so strange. I can only imagine the code behind this.

Should I hold off that latest fix until this new one is implemented?

Kurik Amudnil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2013, 02:26:29 am »

Putnam and I have each posted a script on the dfhack thread (Putnam's) (mine).  I think they need more polish.

I think I would prefer to use either of the scripts rather than mod the creature sizes.  However, it is important to note that with the bug, babies and children often are born or migrate with a size far greater than they are supposed to have and once fixed they will shrink to the correct size and grow from there.  This means that getting butchering young animals will provide no returns or fewer returns for creatures with large babies.  Setting birth_time to -1 such as Putnam's script does, will give units born latter in the year the same size as units born earlier in the year which may improve butcher results from the younger animal population.  I also have concerns about mods, scripts, or other places that use the birth time from the historical figure entry or assumed identities so I suggested a modification for Putnam's script.

I also think we need to test whether or not vampires, undead, and other not living things will grow after being fixed or will properly stay where they are.  Or should they grow if they gain/lose strength or fat?  Does this fix make a unit lose size when they lose a limb or other body part? Do we care?

Edit: fixed typo, thanks!

Also, looking at my bird tests for birth time, I missed some growing birds.  Thats what I get for not writing a function in the spread sheet to show diffs in size
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:54:26 am by Kurik Amudnil »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:08 am »

I also think we need to test weather or not vampires, undead, and other not living things will grow after being fixed or will properly stay where they are.  Or should they grow if they gain/lose strength or fat?  Does this fix make a unit lose size when they lose a limb or other body part? Do we care?

s/weather/whether/

Confused me on the first readthrough.  Weather is actually a thing in DF.  (I wonder if we should test weather?)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

Do we have to hunt and peck through each dwarf and creature to add this, and keep checking new ones?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23