Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Verdun: The Game  (Read 2333 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Verdun: The Game
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:23:40 pm »

I have come upon this little MMOFPS gem (to be found here: http://www.verdungame.com/), telling the tale of a soldier in World War I trenches. Oh, ok, maybe story is too much to be said - it is just session based shooting, but the WW I feel is really great. It is currently in beta, so there is not much in terms of weapons or maps, but still it is good. Also, free, at least for now, weighting only 250 MB, Linux, Win and Mac compatible (Unity) and no installation required.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Verdun: The Game
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »

This could be cool. I hope they have aeroplanes.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:39 am »

I launched the download, and forgot to play ... :|

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:42:03 am »

I don't know about airplanes (right now there are none, but the game is in early beta, and developers right now concentrate on making more guns and maps), but just found out something more amazing - really, really amazing, I must say - squad-based experience. In short, game is squad based, with basic squad consisting of NCO, Rifleman, Machinegunner and Grenadier. And more the players play along in the same squad, more experience the squad gains. You still gain your own experience, but squad based one gives nifty upgrades - from better equipment (second level is required to actually arm Machinegunner with a machine gun), different uniforms (squad starts in 1914 ones, then advances to 1915 ones and - probably - beyond) to different skills (yes, there are skills there - NCO is reloading his pistol faster, Rifleman can hold his breath for longer etc.). Which is really great. And would be even better with Bay12 players getting together in a squad, so feel free to add BlindKitty to friends. :D

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:03:27 am »

Just got this and it looks pretty nifty. We lost our first game very hard though, being pushed all the way back by the Reich. Good fun though, and if we plan on getting a squad together add Spaghetti7 to yo friends.

EDIT: Hang on, I think you need their user ID too. I guess I'll just put this here too then:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't change my graphics settings off of "Fastest". It just reverts again when I leave and come back.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:07:53 am by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:32:42 am »

I have the very same problem with graphics, but so far, I just put it back higher whenever I start the game. At least the loading times are short. :P Added you to friends already, hopefully I will show among yours, as copying my ID doesn't seem to work so far. Beta is still buggy. :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:18:49 am »

Jolly good fun, although I don't seem to be very good. Anyway, if you want to add me:

Pierre Sheb
7994f48fa8441ed68bada1b18c8c2557146a61ce2

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 11:47:23 am »

Im not sure about this, it is in early development but some things just dont seem right from the get go. It is NOT a MMO anything, battles are 8vs8 and lets be honest trench war in a decent sized map between 16 people its kind of lame, maps are kind of small and lifeless, it feels more like a paintball match than actual war, but most of this things can change and overall its worth a try.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:44 pm »

Is it just me or does it have insane waiting times before being matched up?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 05:36:37 pm »

So I'm necro'ing this because I saw it on Steam Early Access.

I'm all for realistic shooters, I'm all for historic realistic shooters, I'm all for squad-based historic realistic shooters. I play WWII Online after all. This seems like it would give me a more intimate experience, however, with good graphics.

Has anyone played this newer version? Is it more historic, like they say, or is it more arcade-y? What are the match-ups? Is it just 16v16, or do you get really big with 32v32 or higher? How does the squad communicate? Built-in VOIP? How do they cross-communicate? Is there a clan infrastructure set up? etc. etc.

Just looking for more general detail of this newer version.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.