Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Chronicle of Master Axeblight: My first Adventure  (Read 661 times)

KarratKake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Chronicle of Master Axeblight: My first Adventure
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:26:02 am »

Tales of Adventure Mode: The Chronicle of Master Axeblight

So I opened up the quickstart guide, and created my character like it specified. After that, I quickly got bored of reading, so I closed it and started adventuring. I was dropped off in a shop of some sort, where I played around with the controls a bit. I found the attack button after a bit of searching. I went outside to look for some prey to test my newfound skills on. I saw a group of about 5 cats and 10 chicken-things grazing to the side of the road. Naturally, I hit one of the cats with my axe. Big mistake.

The animals became angry. All 15 of the passive grazing beasts began to swarm and attack me like mosquitoes. The only way I could avoid them was to hide inside a shop and hope the merchant would close the door or fight them off. He didn't. Instead, he got angry at me because I let 15 or so furious animals into his store. So now, I was in a corner, on the ground, fighting for my life against 10 chickens, 5 cats, and a very pissed off shopkeeper. Let the battle begin.

I figured out the combat system quickly, and began hacking away at the CLOUD of angry fauna that was rapidly advancing upon me. I started with the cats, because I know how this shit works in D&D: I do not want the cats alive and gutting me. I went for the easy shots to the body and legs, and found that one good hit with the axe would be enough to cause the cat to bleed to death. I also learned that the chicken's primary mode of attack was to latch onto me and peck me to death. Most of the chickens bounced right off my armor, but a few were able to cling on. I was forced to the ground.

Once all of the cats were de-pawed and dead, I moved on to the chicken-things. Luckily, being prone doesn't make you much less effective in battle. Once again, I went for the easy body shots, and all seemed to be going well. That is, until my axe got stuck in one of the chickens. I had to resort to using my shield to bash them to death. It didn't work so well. I checked my health status: Most of my body was heavily bruised from repeated chicken assaults, but I was still in working condition. Unfortunately, my endurance didn't hold up as well as my limbs. As the "Tired" condition fell upon me, the chickens began amassing on my battered body. My bashing was futile; they were overpowering me. I checked my health screen again: one of the chickens had literally PECKED OPEN MY LIVER. Still, I fought on. I realized that bashing wasn't my only option; I could bite the chickens, which would be much more effective in bleeding them out. They started dieing, one by one. Things looked good. But the battle wasn't over yet.

I had overlooked one detail: the merchant. By the time I realized that he was still in the fray, it was too late: there was a steel dagger being twisted inside my stomach. I was bleeding to death. I knew I only had a short time before the cold hands of death were upon me. I spent my last breaths cursing the chickens who had wrought this havoc upon me. The last thing I saw was a rooster, proudly standing atop a pile of dead birds and cat limbs. Thus ended the tale of Master Axeblight.

TL;DR Make sure you're well prepared before taking on a pack of wild poultry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:42:22 am by KarratKake »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicle of Master Axeblight: My first Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:02:02 pm »

Something very similar happened to me on my first attempt. Got kicked to death by an alpaca. My next adventurer got a quest to kill the first as he had become an enemy of the civilisation, even though the (now named) alpaca did the job already.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.