Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Tileset - PREVIEW SCREENSHOT - Come have a look  (Read 2690 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
New Tileset - PREVIEW SCREENSHOT - Come have a look
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:37:31 am »

Hey guys, I am still contemplating a "better" phoebus version, which uses some custom tiles for mod-only stuff. Like the brazier/candelabra I added in the last Masterwork update.

I have maybe... max 10 tiles free for this.

';' (used only in one masons workshop tile) would become a set of tools.
'}' (used only in one jewelers workshop tile) would become maybe a pincer/tool?
'{' Unused. Completely free. MAKE ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!
'&'  Unused. Completely free. MAKE ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!

Coal and Bush use very similar tiles, the icon is the same, only the background is slightly brighter on one. I can merge them.

Flux Stone Tile is not used in Masterwork. Since I have entiry flux stone layers it looked odd, I made the stone look normal. This means another tile is unused.

There are 6 tiles for gems atm. Undug-ornamental, Undug-semi-precious, Undug-precious, rough gem, cut gem, large gem. I am sure that these can be reduced a little. Merging the first three to one "Undug-gem" for example. Players couldnt see how valuable the gem is on a glance, but then again most people dig all gems they find anyway. This would free another 2 tiles minimum.

There are 7 hardcoded crafts, among them ring/bracelet and crown. I want to change these two, for two reasons: First: Ring and Bracelet tiles look very, very similar. Second: I included a wearable helm called Crown and dont want people to get confused between two crowns. This means I can change these crafts to something else. It must be a small item that a dwarf carries around on or around his body. I thought about "glasses/monocle/spectacles" and "hourglass". Both are simple and small things that can be carried around. Migrants could for example arrive with a wooden hourglass and bone spectactles in their inventory.

Suggestions for different sort of crafts are welcome. More then welcome. ;) The current ones are: crown, ring, bracelet, earring, figurine, amulet, scepter. Replacing these would free another 2 tiles.

There are also the left and right arrow tiles. (Not the ballista heads, the thinner type) I am not sure if they are used for anything ingame. This would free another 2 tiles.

I would also like to do these changes:
Add waves as background to the numbers 1-7
Make a color-filling for a minecart, like nestboxes and buckets already have.
Make signs take on the color of the build mat.
Change barrel background to standard floor tiles, to meet all other items.
Change "Single Coin Tile" to a stack of coins.

Thats it. If anyone has a good idea, feel free to chime in. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:04:17 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: New tileset - Still about 10 tiles free, suggestions wanted.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:50 am »

I *really* like the way your water tiles and color filling looked, so I'm looking forward to that!
Signs taking on buildmat color is a great idea too.
Mixed opinion on stack of coins, currently the icon is very clear, it depends how clear you can draw the stack I guess :)

I will be a little sad to lose the gems, I really do target the valuable ones for mining, while I would leave the ornamental stones in the wall of a room or just not go out of the way to get them. But it's not a major thing of course.  Maybe you could somehow encode the value using a single tile in some other way, like the background color?

##############

I've definitely seen some { } & in game although I can't quite place where ... I thinkg fish, and dead demons.  I think they become their creature tile as a corpse, even if they have graphics otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:03:42 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »

Creatures use sprites. The 2 (?) vermin worms that use '{' and cant use sprites, well, they can use '(' for all that I care. ;)

And if you check the File Repository Thread, or the last post I made in Phoebus thread, then you can find a download for the current version, with the background fillings and the waves.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »

*Live* creatures use sprites.  Don't you have enough dead demons in your forts?! 

tbh I don't know about HFS demons for sure; but I've definitely seen some '&' corpses recently, whether they were HFS, or cavern monsters or demon diplomats I can't remember.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:12:27 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:25:14 pm »

Good point. I'll add the demon sprites onto the '&' then. Either phoebus or ironhands...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:22:35 pm »

Is it possible to do a nicer tile for weapons than just the slash?  Or maybe different tiles for ammo than other weapons?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:23:36 pm »

Ammo lying around is always the same as weapons. I wanted to use a little sword tile that somewhat looks like an arrow, so yeah. But flying ammo always uses / | \ and -. I want to change some of them a little bit, so that they look both ok as arrow/sword and a slash. But I cant do bullets/blowdarts/cannonballs/any other ammo.

Weapons sadly cant be done. I wish Toady would add a tilenumber to all items, like he has done for tools. It's not a lot of work for him, but would allow toys, tools, weapons, armor, ammo, trapparts and so forth have different tiles.

Mh... can you equip a dwarf in fort mode with a tool that has an attack assigned to it? I dont think so, but that would be a step in that direction. ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:03:43 am »

Here a preview of the work I've done.

Three more workshop tiles. Hammer (forges), Toolkit (mason), and small Toolkit (jeweler).
Ashes/Broken Ammo now show both, a pile of ashes with sticks/arrows sticking out.
Water/Magma always shows both waves and numbers.
Nestboxes and Buckets show their content a lot better.
Minecarts show their content.
Signs take on the color of the build material. Inverted tile from signs is a 'divide by' sign.
0 are coffins now. Inverted tile shows only a cross. (use TTF for text)
Slabs are gravestones now. Inverted tile shows only a '+' sign.
Thin walls or brick walls to chose from. Both show engravings reasonably well.
Candelabra and Brazier flames can now be colored.
Chests can now be two-colored.
Arrows/Weapons now look like a little sword.
Flux gets a unique tile again, see the trade depot in the corner, its the same.
Decorational half-walls (look at the fountain in the lower corner) are now engraved.
Meat now looks like a raw steak.
Mechanisms insides can have a color now.
The eyes of totems can have a color now.
Traps have floor-background now.
Barrels have floor-background now.

Cavern 1 will get a unique tile: See the green mossy stuff on the center left. => cave moss.
Cavern 2 will get a unique tile: See the blue wavy stuff on the center. => crystal floor.
Cavern 3 will get a unique tile: See the different floor tiles on the lower left. => dungeon floor.

The creature tiles for dead dwarves/elves/humans/goblins/kobolds are now colored, for better use in custom workshops. They are only seen for dead creatures in cages, so no big change ingame for the corpses.

Demons and Bogeymans now look different, hulking shadowy figures. (prone to change)

Still have more or less free:
1 tile entirely free.
3-4 tiles free to use as crafts. Any craft goes, books, glasses, hourglass, dice, anything.
Left arrow (to show direction when building a bridge) could be used. Any ideas so that they still look like an arrow a bit?
Right arrow (to show direction when building a bridge) could be used. Any ideas so that they still look like an arrow a bit?
'+-' tile is free.
'(' could be a bow.
')' could be a bow.

I might replace bones with different bone-tiles.

Feedback welcome, especially on the two different tiles.

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Tileset - PREVIEW SCREENSHOT - Come have a look
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:32:05 am »

Two kinds of crafts to make can be beads and comb. Dwarves wear combs with them to comb their beards. :)

Unused '{' can become a wheel. I think, wheels are always very important and have a wide range of use, but we don't see many in DF.

Bellows can look like a left or right arrow. It is the tools to be used by a smith.

I like your approach and the graphics you made, Meph. Looks great!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:23:57 am »

Awesome!
One small recommendation: Can you give the "wave" background to 0,8,9 too? Maybe it's just my OCD speaking, but I think it would help reading if all numbers looked the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37:14 am »

Wheels can be done by merging 4 round corners. I dont need to make a 1 tile wheel, what would you use it  for? I cant to multi-tile creatures, like wagons or siege engines with wheels.

0 doesnt exist, its a grave icon now.
8 and 9 do have the wave background.

Bellows make perfect sense, thats a great idea. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:10:10 am »

Looks nice!  so colorful with everything having colors :D

I don't know whether replacing 0 was a great idea, TTF kinda glitches out all the time, and plus there are too many places that can't be TTF.  example: Now the numbers in the z-depth meters and the little falcone-happyness-meter will always be coffins, right?

The creature tiles for dead dwarves/elves/humans/goblins/kobolds are now colored, for better use in custom workshops. They are only seen for dead creatures in cages, so no big change ingame for the corpses.

Are you sure?  ... I could have sworn corpses on the ground/stockpile use the tileset currently.  I guess it could be a graphic that looks exactly like the tileset. ??? I don't know whether that affects your thinking about it one way or the other, but currently the monochrome makes them very distinct from live dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:12:15 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:54 am »

I'm willing to experiment ;)

I think the coffin for 0 is ok, it has the same overall form, and people will realize this soon enough.

I myself dont know exactly about the corpses... because there is an exact copy of the tiles in the creature sprites. ^^ I thought it was about cages, but might be all corpses... I will notice it while testing, one way or the other. :)

Now I just need bellows or bows/crossbows, hourglasses, dice, and whatever else might be of interest. ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12:43 pm »

I was messing around a bit with engravings and trees... cant do the trees like I wanted them, because of the seasonal color change, otherwise I could have given them brown trunks.

Anyway, wells show an inside as well:

And never mind the colors, the game is not more colorful, because they dont exist like this in natural df settings... but you can use this for workshops and furnaces.

Smake, you can also have hammer, sword and crossbow tiles now, but again, only for workshops.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 02:09:11 am »

Preview

Pages: [1] 2