Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Powers.  (Read 3214 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
New Powers.
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:36:39 pm »

So, as a Necromancer Vampire i though myself all powerful in normal Dwarf Fortress... But then i installed Masterwork. First thing i did was go straight to the Arena, and found out Pyromancers, Dragonforms, Aquamancers, Lich, Master vampire, and lots of other cool stuff.
Is possible to become those in Adventurer Mode? How?

And can i get one of those dragon engines in Fortress Mode? Or they re all enemies?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:45:54 pm by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Powers.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »

Dragon engines are megabeasts (enemy only), though you can probably get a similar effect by dressing a magmamancer or a dwarf with a flamethrower in good armor (with netherbark clothing for fire resistance).
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »

Dragon engines are megabeasts (enemy only), though you can probably get a similar effect by dressing a magmamancer or a dwarf with a flamethrower in good armor (with netherbark clothing for fire resistance).
Oh... I though that maybe since they re kinda machines, they would be able to be made by dwarves.
I will try the magmamancer in armor :P
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:37:04 pm »

I haven't tried making any Magmamancers myself, but from the description in the manual just make sure you are prepared to keep them from running back inside. I believe it says something about exploding as well...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:25:15 pm »

That reminds me to write a little page on the manual about magic. ^^

Dragon Engines as build-able unit sound fun as well, I wonder why I never thought about it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:24:36 am »

Dragon Engines as build-able unit sound fun as well, I wonder why I never thought about it.

Yeah but better make them expensive. One alone killed a copy of my 10 dwarves militia, many of them legendary in their skills in testing arena.

And maybe they need a dwarf with an certain skill (Probably having to do with machine operating) to pilot them?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:52:37 am by Sarzael »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:11:50 am »

Yeah but better make them expensive. One alone killed a copy of my 10 dwarves militia, many of them legendary in their skills in testing arena.

And maybe they need a dwarf with an certain skill (Probably having to do with machine operating) to pilot them?

Piloting isn't possible, although I suppose the dwarf could be transformed into the dragon engine.  Requiring a specific skill is technically possible, but it would require a new DFHack script.  (Or, cray idea... could the dragon engine be a weapon that transforms the wielder [itemsyndrome]?  The weapon could then have any skill as its weapon skill.)

Dragon engines happen to be made up of all kinds of expensive ingredients (bronze, iron, emerald, copper, acid and oil, probably in large quantities), and are machines (so add clockwork parts to that list).  Simply requiring that all of the parts that make it up be assembled in the Gnomish Artificer is probably expense enough.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:13:59 am »

Toximancer+Flamethrower+Bloodsteel claws+Bloodsteel armor with fireproof boots and netherbark cloak is a good combo. One of em can beat hydras, dragons and other stuff.

Its painful to read the log though. Toximancers are so... cruel. Spit vomit over an bleeding creature, then infect it, then make the creature get a disease, then rot his face O_O.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »

Do "fireproof boots" actually do anything?  One of my dwarves made and artifact fireproof boot (bone), so I looked at the raws, and couldn't find any reason it would do anything, or any reason that fireproof boots would ever be fireproof (short of an artifact made from netherbark).

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »

I dont know, but if it says they re fireproof, they should be fireproof. How to edit raw to actually make them fireproof?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 03:36:49 pm »

There's no easy way to do so.  Fire damage or isotherm is a property of materials, not of item types.  The only simple fix would be to rename them so the name doesn't displease you.

Otherwise, create a fireproofing syndrome (I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do so) and implement and use an itemsyndrome script to apply it to the wearer when the boots are put on, which I suspect is what Meph has planned for that item eventually.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:50:21 pm »

You can always cross your fingers and really hope they are before sending a dwarf into that field that you totally didn't turn into a bonfire deathtrap...

I would assume items with names like Angel Blessed or ___ of Power would be similar flavor, right? There are quite a few I have seen when messing around in Adventure Mode between forts.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 03:59:58 pm »

I don't *think* that dwarf mode has any itemsyndromes that are tied to the item type rather than the material.  Orc mode has a couple (dreamwalkers' arcane weapons, and the sappers' satchel and flamethrower)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:42 pm »

Ehm.... you guys missed the fact that artefacts cant melt/burn up, and since fireproof boots can only ever be made as an artefact, all of them are fireproof. Kind of. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

Ehm.... you guys missed the fact that artefacts cant melt/burn up, and since fireproof boots can only ever be made as an artefact, all of them are fireproof. Kind of. ;)

The dwarf's foot will still melt, though.  :P
Pages: [1] 2