Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing settings mid-game  (Read 1287 times)

Spiky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Changing settings mid-game
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »

I started my region / fortress with harder learning enabled, but I found the halved rate too slow after getting several migrant waves full of peasants. Is there any way to change this setting through raws or anything without starting a new world? Simply changing the setting did not seem do anything. Thanks.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Changing settings mid-game
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:55:16 pm »

The GUI can only affect new world gen.

Some things can be edited by tinkering with the data in the save game folder.  see:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29157.0

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure "harder learning" doesn't change anything that requires a worldgen.  To get the changes into your savegame, remove the "raws" folder from your savegame, then copy the "raws" folder from the main DF folder into your savegame.

I suggest you move the old "raws" folder rather than deleting it, since there's some risk that the savegame will refuse to load afterward (especially if you've toggled something else, such as one of the races).  If that happens, switch the old "raws" folder back in, and the savegame will work again.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Spiky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:47:18 am »

If anyone else happens to run into the same problem, I managed to solve it by comparing the raw files and changing the line YESLEARNING[SKILL_RATES:50:50:6:60] to !NOLEARNING!SKILL_RATES:50:50:6:60] in creature_standard.txt. Many thanks to you both.