Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For The Love of Armok...  (Read 4701 times)

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For The Love of Armok...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:51 am »

Wow, check out the sense of entitlement on that guy.

How, pray tell, is Toady supposed to fix a bug before it's even discovered?  And how are players to react when he fixes them in a rushed, haphazard way that breaks more than it fixes?
The bug that I described has been around since...
The First Age of Legends... x3
No, but seriously, this is a really annoying bug and could have been fixed a long time ago, I believe. In my opinion, I would rather play a game with few features and no bugs than a broken game that has plenty of features. Then again, that is just my opinion.

Well, can't make everyone happy sadly. I'd even prefer a bit more features first if possible, but eh, patience is a virtue ^^

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:44:14 am »

Wow, check out the sense of entitlement on that guy.

How, pray tell, is Toady supposed to fix a bug before it's even discovered?  And how are players to react when he fixes them in a rushed, haphazard way that breaks more than it fixes?
The bug that I described has been around since...
The First Age of Legends... x3
No, but seriously, this is a really annoying bug and could have been fixed a long time ago, I believe. In my opinion, I would rather play a game with few features and no bugs than a broken game that has plenty of features. Then again, that is just my opinion.

Well, can't make everyone happy sadly. I'd even prefer a bit more features first if possible, but eh, patience is a virtue ^^

Yeah, this game is like 34% finished. There is still plenty of time to fix bugs and unintended and unexpected behaviors. Don't be hasty, as Treebeard said. Real bugs will be fixed some day, but for now most of us would like to see new features instead of fixing minor bugs. (and most of the bugs can be fixed with DFHack nowdays...)

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:27:16 am »

If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.   :P

But it is not.

Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

With just a hammer and chisel.

All by himself.

(Well, almost.  ThreeToe offers ideas, but Toady does all the coding work.)

DF is Toady's life, literally.  And DF is so insanely detailed that it is difficult not to do just which parts he wants when he wants, as opposed to a more orderly plan.

In other words, have patience.  Lots and lots of patience.   8)

On a more practical level:  That "bug" that annoys you is a behavior based on container hauling.  Dwarves grab the container, then fill bins or plant seeds, and return.  And, apparently, they remove only one bin/barrel from any one stockpile at a time.  Try making a couple small seed-only stockpiles near your fields.
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »

You know, I accept the whole "single guy carving Mt. Rushmore" thing and I'm happy to wait; I'll just play other stuff or play what's out there already in the meantime. I admire Toady's work and I enjoy playing it. I just have to say that, you know, maybe Toady could consider what his players want in terms of dev structure a bit more, if only because we actually support his existence through generous donations.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 05:17:55 am »

Then use an older version of dwarf fortress, see if that still  has the bug.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:23 am »

And really, how is Toady supposed to fix this bug when he's shoulder-deep in the guts of the upcoming release?

I mean, he could roll back to the last stable version, fix it, and release that. But that seems like a senseless distraction from getting the new release up and running. Plus, he'd need to fix it in the last stable version AND the currently unfinished version at the same time. It's just a lot of work for questionable gain outside of the normal bugfix cycle.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 12:58:41 pm »

For the Love of Armok...can we please stop posting in this thread? It's not an actual suggestion, so it doesn't need to keep being posted to.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 07:24:01 pm »

In essence, the above "bug" isn't even a bug, it's unintended and unexpected behavior. Due to that, a natural workaround is easy, but fixing it would be rather hard.
Precisely.

Oh, and BTW: Toady's in the middle of a major update. Bay12-major, not EA-major. If you were OCP, would you demand that a version RoboCop be released which fixed the liver issues when they were in the middle of rebuilding him?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »

Guys.
I said he should release a bugfix-like version.
I never said when.
Maybe after this major update? Try fixing a large amount of bugs or unwanted behaviors of the new version, and then release it? THEN make a new version and do the same? I have made a few small flash video games before, and I've noticed that fixing bugs or "unwanted behaviors" goes a LOT quicker than adding features, and considering Toady's awesome masterful skills at coding, he should be able to sort out or add new code to make the version more stable/playable before the new version? It was a SUGGESTION. Not a demand or a threat etc. That is how I would run it, and it is my opinion. I understand where all of you are coming from, but that is YOUR opinion.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:20:59 am »

"For the love of Armok, put out a new release that fixes bugs" sounds like a demand to me. Anyway, there's always a bugfix cycle after a major release.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:13 am »

Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

One legendary engraver makes better engravings that dozen of novices. That just popped to my mind when I was reading that.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:54 am »

Guys.
I said he should release a bugfix-like version.
I never said when.
Maybe after this major update? Try fixing a large amount of bugs or unwanted behaviors of the new version, and then release it? THEN make a new version and do the same? I have made a few small flash video games before, and I've noticed that fixing bugs or "unwanted behaviors" goes a LOT quicker than adding features, and considering Toady's awesome masterful skills at coding, he should be able to sort out or add new code to make the version more stable/playable before the new version? It was a SUGGESTION. Not a demand or a threat etc. That is how I would run it, and it is my opinion. I understand where all of you are coming from, but that is YOUR opinion.

Soooo... You're basically suggesting that he do what he's already been doing already the last few years at least? (maybe before then as well, but that'd be before my DF time) Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what order you're actually suggesting things to be done in :S
Pages: 1 [2]