Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to fix sober vampires?  (Read 5791 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to fix sober vampires?
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:29:03 am »

I was hopeless. I have learned my lessons from the previous forts I lost: walls and bridges and levers linked to them MUST be ready before the first year ends. And they were. A nice multi-layered fortification system, which allowed to survive a siege and in most cases even allowed to have some beekeeping and grazing in the fortified yard. It was nice for a siege, but... But then came an ambush. Two groups of goblins: one armed with crossbows and other armed with scourges and whips. Like the worst case scenario ever. with minimal loses of four dwarves I managed to seal myself off, while retaining the possession of the yard (and more important - the well). Unfortunately one goblin leader got caught in the cage trap near my caravan gate, and the other got himself killed inside my wood tunnel (I was implementing a automated wood delivery when this happend) just before the bridge smashed half of his squad.
And here we come tho the hopeless part. Here am I sitting tight in my little fort with 60 dwarves, 40 of which are adults. Just outside both entrances of my bunker waiting 1 crossbow-goblin and three goblin lashers. I waited for quite some time until some new migrants arrived. I was hopeless, so I decided to mobilize all of my dwarves and sally forth. This plan worked. well. almost. I quickly overwhelmed a crossbow-goblin, but then his lasher-friends came to the party. Then battle turned into the butchery. I paid a dear price for the victory. out of 60 dwarves + about 10 migrants only 19 remain. 8 of them are children, and most of the adults are cripled and/or injured. Only three dwarves are able to perform any work, so I guess most of the injured will die before the next wave.

But let's get to the brighter things. While contemplating the survivers I noticed that all three lashers were killed by the fresh-elected mayor (I lost like four or five mayors during this sally). And she is an unarmed migrant who just came to the fort. She is awesome. Her combat log looks like if she was fighting kittens. Every blow is a broken bone or internal organ. Bare handed!!! and she was not hit even once during her fights!

So I gut curious. She claims that she was a general in the other dwarven civilization and that she is the enemy of the nearby goblin civ. That would explain such a prowess, right? She also claims that she have killed two named goblins in year 1. Apparently I have got a useful migrant for a change. A true war hero.

So I looked her up in the legends viewer (I dislike messing up with game files to use in-game legends, so I usually dump worldgen legends before starting my forts). And she was not there. So I decided to check up erly war history of the civilization she claimed she served as general, and I checked those two goblins. Both led me to a truly gifted lady she led 21 attacks on the goblin civilization and was victorious in 19 of them. She also managed to descend into the caverns and tame Giant Toads and Giant Olms. However she managed to profane something (legends viewed does not say what was it) and got herself cursed with vampirism. Shortly afterwards she was forced to leave and since that time she was changing places and traveling around.

I am pretty sure that this wonderful lady is indeed my mayor now. And even though she is a vampire - she might be just what my fort needs for a proper military takeoff. So hence my question: is there anything I can do (dfhack, binary patching, modding...) to save her from eventual sobriety?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix sober vampires?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:49:48 am »

I believe someone gave dwarf blood a syndrome that when ingested, removed [NO_DRINK] for slightly less time than what it takes to die from thirst. This way the vampire would drink blood, get thirsty, drink alcohol if possible, but survive even if it can't get any.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:13 am »

How do I do that?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:22:20 am »

Ok. I have searched around a bit and found this hack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112807.msg3429958#msg3429958

I hope it will work when changed in raws of the existing game.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »

Apparently something is not working. my vampire drinks dwarf blood on a regular basis but she never becomes thirsty for wine. Could anyone please check these values? should I make the syndrome duration longer? Or maybe I have modifyid it in wrong place (I did it in my save directory)?

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:28:46 pm »

Damn, so drinking dwarf blood alone won't do it.

The wiki says that drinking blood gives a vampire a happiness boost, can anyone confirm?

Also, doesn't losing no_eat/no_drink/no_sleep for a nostun creature, screw them up?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »

Perhaps you could give blood the [ALCOHOL_CREATURE] token?
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:14:22 pm »

You could try removing NO_DRINK itself in the vampire interaction?

I recall that vampires don't exactly drink blood from their victims, so syndromes do not apply.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:49 pm »

add a CAN_DO_INTERACTION that gives dwarves the ability to remove NO_DRINK from themselves, your vampire will then cast it apon herself, lose the no drink and go for booze. now since you are in a current world you might want to goto "interaction_standard.txt" and play with BP_BUMP (who cares if it's a cat interaction, only animal that uses it) alter to fit your needs and give it to dwarves to use.

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:BP_BUMP]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Remove NO_DRINK]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:16800]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]

[INTERACTION:BP_BUMP]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:creature]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:1000]

NOTE:
backup the file so you can reverse it if need be.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »

This might be a stupid answer, but wouldn't it just be possible to just remove the tag, [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] by adding to the interaction:
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT:START:0]
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »

list of things CE_ADD/REMOVE_tag can effect (some is more for if conditions)

FIT_FOR_ANIMATION
FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION
HAS_BLOOD
MORTAL
NO_AGING
STERILE
Creature token: BLOODSUCKER, CAN_LEARN, CAN_SPEAK, CRAZED, EXTRAVISION, LIKES_FIGHTING (or LIKESFIGHTING), MISCHIEVOUS (or MISCHIEVIOUS), NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT, NO_DIZZINESS, NO_DRINK, NO_EAT, NO_FEVERS, NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN, NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST, NO_SLEEP, NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT, NOBREATHE, NOEMOTION, NOEXERT, NOFEAR, NONAUSEA, NOPAIN, NOSTUN, NOT_LIVING, NOTHOUGHT, OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, PARALYZEIMMUNE, SUPERNATURAL, TRANCES, UTTERANCES

ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT is not in there

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »

I fixed it by adding REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0:END:11200 to dwarven blood. Whenever a vampire drinks dwarven blood, he will remove his tag, then start drinking booze once, then goes back to being no_drink vampire again. It makes them harder to spot as well, since they get thirsty. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 04:46:35 pm »

I fixed it by adding REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0:END:11200 to dwarven blood. Whenever a vampire drinks dwarven blood, he will remove his tag, then start drinking booze once, then goes back to being no_drink vampire again. It makes them harder to spot as well, since they get thirsty. :)

Can you confirm that this is tested / works?

My current fort I have this tag setup
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:ALCOHOL_CREATURE]
          [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
          [SYN_INGESTED]
          [CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0:END:40000]

This tag here is not working. Even though the "slowly due to drink scarcity" thought appears and disappears, he is still walking very slow. I have not seen him go to the booze stockpile.

I checked this thread and this thread, and I think my problem may be that "END" tag is too short of timeperiod. According to the wiki, then the 40,000 above should be roughly 1 month. I thought dwarves got thirsty in a month.

Any ideas?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:23 am »

I think I heard of a fix where meph made dwarf blood alcoholic... Look at masterwork

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »

In my opinion, this is purposeful. Just because alcohol has no effect on vampire dwarves doesn't mean they wouldn't crave it. Imagine a dwarf not being able to get drunk for all eternity. :P

Still can be annoying though...
Pages: [1] 2