Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Conquistador- does anyone know if it's any good?  (Read 3373 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Conquistador- does anyone know if it's any good?
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »

http://www.desura.com/games/expeditions-conquistador

I've heard it described as simmilar to HOMM. Which sounds good. But I'd like to know: how replayable is it? are events dynamic or does the game follow a script, and to what degree?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquistador- does anyone know if it's any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:44 pm »

Oh man, I've been considering making a thread about it and writing a proto-review in my head for the past 4 days.

So :D ( but that's more like a pile of random thoughts than a review, in fact :( )

It does feel a lots like HOMM.

You start out by selecting your crew, who have class (soldier,doctor,scholar,scout,hunter) and traits (pious,racist,open minded, altruist....). That will come into play as reactions to your decisions throuhg the game (e.g. straight attack : coureageous followers gain morale, cautions followers lose morale; set an ambush instead : the other way around. Or take in indigenous followers: open minded gain morale, racist lose morale.etc) .

You then arrive on a island that will serve as a big,big tutorial and set to do various quests for the local governor (then you'll later move on to the mainland)

The follower system is nice, little things happens to them, they keep giving you their opinions and advices or telling you the terrible secrets that got them to emigrate and so on.

It's not completely dynamic I think but I suppose various followers can fit in various scripted roles provided they got the right traits. Dialogues are very well written.

The survival aspect plays rather well in te beginning, despite the relatively simple system and the only two ressources to manage survival-wise(food and medecines; then there's "valuables" i.e. gold, a generic "equipment" spending points of upgrade your followers stuff along preset lines (eg: start with knife, +3 points of equipment: get cutlass, plus four more points : get longsword).

Switching your medical attention between your doctor so he'll get better and can start healing too and your worst wounded followers so they don't deteriorate too much, all the while looking around for herbs you can turn into medecine can make for some pretty tense moments.

Difficulty is completely off-balance. I struggled a lot in the first few hours, and that was nice, but the game became kind of easy as I started to get a grasp of the gameplay mechanisms and accumulate ressources. Still it'll occasionnally throw at you almost unwinnable fights and you're never safe from your own servants (who are sadly completely abstracted) stealing ridiculous amounts (like half a particular ressources, with a pronounced taste for your last 20 medecines when half the team's sick or wounded) in the middle of nowhere because you didn't put enough people on guard duty at night.

The quest are ok, and they really shine as they follow your succes or failure : you can lose a critical fight and the quest line will naturally fall back onto a "plan B" and the game fluidly go along. I dind't played that much but was pleasantly surprised to see a basic quest (bandits harrassing town) take into account my two big failures :p and the story devellop according to them (wait, make it three failures, I forgot one).

That's particularly enjoyable since there's an ironman mode and the quest have apparently been written with a no-reload policy in mind.

That does a lot for replayability I guess, I already wished I had tried different options on some quests. Regarding replayability again, I don't think it's dynamic but there's really a lot of options to approach (or ignore) many situations.

But then, I wouldn't take the responsability to recommand it to anyone for 20$. It's a nice game, but ultimately I'm a bit disappointed; it really feel like they, for whatever reason, didn't take the time they should have to finish it.

the world map is really not enjoyable to navigate, you can't understand where you're going, you can't have a proper overview, the jungle trees and props are nice but they tend to obfuscate the view ; which is somehow a fitting simulation of the difficulty it must be to move around in an unknown jungle :P, but sadly it's probably unvoluntary and don't play well at all.

The "economic" system is really simplified, 4 ressources is too little and the economic system doesn't make sense (the more things you buy, the more expensive they become, because the more money the merchant got, the less he values money ?), the map is a bit bland the only non-quest interactable things are pigs for meat, plants for medicinal herbs, coffers for valuables, and crates for ropes/wood/metal/stuff the only use of is to make various kind of traps to use in battle).

At 5 or 10 bucks I'd recommend it without a second thought, but at 20$ the main reason would be so they can make a sequel and make it better.

It's not a bad game, far from it. but it feels unfinished.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:52:26 pm by casserol »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »

For those playing: I looked at it on Steam, and it somehow managed to offend me (I'm not easily offended) by sending the image of "Be a hero! Commit genocide!" I know a fair bit about what happened during that part of history, and none of it is nice.

Is the game more sensible than that?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:07:45 pm »

In fact I was kind of pleased to see the options were here to play as a supremacist asshole. Which sounds weird . But should give an idea of how the non-gencidal-hero side of gameplay is possible and, to me at least :p, come naturally.

I havn't played it enough yet to make myself an idea of how the devs approached the painful history behind that period.

Praticaly everytime you come in contact with indigeneous peoples, there'll be mention of the brutality of the previous exlorers. Then you can choose to answer things ranging from "i deeply apologize for the unnaceptable behavior of my people" to "that's their right and you deserve it" or something.

That's an interesting question you bring here. But once again I don't think I played it enough to get what, if anything, the dev want to say about it.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 02:08:04 pm »

accidental double post :(

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:38 pm »

game lacks a dynamic, procedural rplay element to it, looked at reviews its heavily scripted and as such would give it a miss

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:44:13 am »

I like it. It's open world. Everything is mostly scripted, true, but the story is good, with different paths. My main point of disagreement is the lack of a real inventory system and some weak aspects of combat, particularly ranged combat. A gunshot does about half the damage of a melee weapon and rarely even hits, and I do best by simply loading up on fast moving scouts with no ranged capabilities at all.

For those playing: I looked at it on Steam, and it somehow managed to offend me (I'm not easily offended) by sending the image of "Be a hero! Commit genocide!" I know a fair bit about what happened during that part of history, and none of it is nice.

If it is any consolation, the Aztecs were a real bloodthirsty piece of work too; and most of the real genocide was indirectly via diseases that had once killed the same number of Europeans, when they spread from Asia.

But yes, you can actually kill all the natives in this game. Anything less would be boring revisionism. This is what all cultures did before the modern era, including the indigenous. There are no angels among men, nor any truly peaceful cultures on earth. You'd be hard-pressed to find a period in history to your liking, other than right now.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:41:22 am »

game lacks a dynamic, procedural rplay element to it, looked at reviews its heavily scripted and as such would give it a miss
I just started playing it (well, relatively) and I think that's really wrong to judge. The game is very nicely branching, though it's simply not an open-world procedural game for obvious reasons. I just got off of Hispanoila (which has a remarkable amount of gameplay for a tutorial island) and I actually lost the battle against the BBEG. The first time I've actually lost at a game and was able to continue, while deciding that it was pretty much the best outcome.
It's not at all like the typical scripted rpg imo, and the tactical combat is fun but extremely challenging at times. The servants stealing stuff is a big pain in the ass but the time progression mechanic with hunting and such is done reasonably well. I'm not sure how long the game is, or whether the combat will stay interesting until the end, but I've gotten my share of enjoyment out of it already.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:17 am »

I've played it for a bit and all in all it feels kind of meh. I like the turn based combat, I like the text adventureish scenes, but in the end the game feels... empty. Like there is no drive that makes me want to actually go out into the jungle and explore, it's just two types of chests, herbs and some boars scattered around the map.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 03:55:13 am »

Be a hero! Commit genocide!
Well all good RPGs are like that. In Star Control 2* you talk 2 species into effectively committing species-wide suicide (for a a good cause) and wantonly kill the last remaining member of a 3rd species while destroying the the holy relic another 2 species (or 1, since they evolved from common stock) were fighting over for millenia (the closing narration implies that your allies are hunting the remnants of these 2 species and killing them, though I suppose one of them really deserved it for committing more genocide than you. Allegedly.) You also get to sell people into slavery (though that, thankfully, can be avoided, if you don't mind an additional challenge.) And don't get me started on Lord of the Rings.
The only difference here is that it's about real people with offendable descendants.

In 1996, Computer Gaming World ranked it as the 29th best PC game of all time, calling it "a stunning mix of adventure, action, and humor."[4] IGN named Star Control II the 17th best game of all time in 2005.[1]

GameSpot also named it as one of the greatest games of all time.[2] In addition, it was also given eighth place in GameSpot's list of the best gameworlds by reader's choice,[5] as well as the third place in the best endings.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:07:14 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 04:27:28 am »

Be a hero! Commit genocide!
Well all good RPGs are like that. In Star Control 2* you talk 2 species into effectively committing species-wide suicide (for a a good cause) and wantonly kill the last remaining member of a 3rd species while destroying the the holy relic another 2 species (or 1, since they evolved from common stock) were fighting over for millenia (the closing narration implies that your allies are hunting the remnants of these 2 species and killing them, though I suppose one of them really deserved it for committing more genocide than you. Allegedly.) You also get to sell people into slavery (though that, thankfully, can be avoided, if you don't mind an additional challenge.) And don't get me started on Lord of the Rings.
The only difference here is that it's about real people with offendable descendants.

Space genocide is just *squishy*, agree and be a *happy camper*, you don't want to be *silly cows* like the androsynth. Let's be *together* instead of being *frumple* and *dancing*.

EDIT: I am getting a feeling of deja vu.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:29:00 am by Aptus »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:35 am »

Does anyone know if there's any relation to http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63476.0 ? (Or even if the aforementioned roguelike is still alive in any form)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 06:20:08 am »

Expedition? Looks like it's mostly dead... Slash seems to have toned back roguelike stuff over the last year or two. Still doing 7drl stuff, but if there's anything else it's behind the scenes. Further updates are... fairly unlikely, I'd imagine.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:41 am »

He was hoping people would throw money at him DF-style, and they didn't. So now he's pissed and won't work on Expedition (I think he's  doing some sort of a social-shootery thing in Facebook instead)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:27 am »

Random thing I always ask for games that let me build parties or characters, and as this one seems somewhat based upon reality... can you actually pick between male/female soldiers/troops/whatever you want to call them, or is it all random, or is it just always all men? Or gender-locked depending on the role the character performs?
Pages: [1] 2