Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Caravans: how's that work??  (Read 1733 times)

Multiple Caravans: how's that work??
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:20 pm »

I've been enjoying Masterwork for days now (absolutely the most fun with DF I've had) and just before deciding to head to bed for the night I got two caravans coming in at the same time, a Human one and my first Gnome caravan. I thought I'd pop in and as how that works.. I enjoy researching my plans for the next time I get to sit down and play, and it will be bugging me wondering how to handle two merchants (let alone two diplomats) at once.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Caravans: how's that work??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »

Don't worry. It sometimes happens in vanilla DF too, and the game handles it. Just chill and start plotting to kill them all.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »

Don't worry. It sometimes happens in vanilla DF too, and the game handles it. Just chill and start plotting to kill them all.

haha I've already got my hands full with Warlocks and Drow. And Goblins, Kobolds and these freaking things called Xen Infectors and Anubites that keep waltzing in. Oh, and Imps.

And, the biggest threat to my fortress of all: my idiot masons who insist on trying to build walls where they stand. The greatest threat to dwarfkind is utter idiocy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »

Okay mate, I'll give you a couple of tips:
One, those warlocks. You need guard animals/guard towers along with marksdwarves. Crossbows are good but cannons are better. ALWAYS engage at range. NEVER let your dwarves get in close.
Xen Infectors... I usually play Orc Fortress so I don't have much trouble with these guys. Treat them like warlocks, but with lower priority.
Imps... pave all things around the defensive positions of your fort. If you breach the caverns and vegetation starts growing on the soil layer, pave it. You can't have anything flammable. (assuming these are the imps that throw fire)
Drow. These guys can be nasty. Your best bet is to overwhelm them with either superior firepower (both material and quantity) or swamp them with golems.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »

Thanks for the tips, especially considering I was totally making it up as I went. The imps will be FUN. I'm on a jungle site heavily forested with cocoa trees. I wonder how wide firebreaks need to be... I'm sure I'll find out.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:14 pm »

I have a few Guardians of Armok, and they handle the warlocks nicely.  They're not particularly hard to make, either - just sacrifice some body parts and iron at the temple, and buy a sprite from a caravan.  They aren't really deadly enough to fight properly armed/armored foes, but they absolutely crush warlocks.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:07 am »

Oh believe me, they are plenty deadly enough to fight properly armed/armored foes... At least the ones at the weaker end of the spectrum. I had to bring the one I made in my last fort inside after he was keeping my Marksdwarves from being able to shoot anything. Those poor poor White Tigermen...

Don't worry if it gets dented or breaks a few limbs, it doesn't seem to mind.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:32 am »

Well warlocks, they can be nasty, especially if you try to engage them with mele. On the other hand, they usually have a necromancer with them...which means they are like the Judean People's Front crack suicide squad.
It's best to leave them alone, they'll sort it out between themselves sooner or later. :)