Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Dwarf is Above the Law... apparently  (Read 1794 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
No Dwarf is Above the Law... apparently
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:22:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep. My Duke just convicted my King of violating his production order. Dwarven "Justice" at work!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: No Dwarf is Above the Law... apparently
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:23 pm »

If your mayor is the only dwarf with glassworking skill, mandates glass items, and the mandate fails, the mayor will sentence himself to a beating because "the glassworker failed to comply".

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »

It's a split personality thing.
._.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »

If your mayor is the only dwarf with glassworking skill, mandates glass items, and the mandate fails, the mayor will sentence himself to a beating because "the glassworker failed to comply".
Ha ha! Thats great! Dwarves, you so crazy!
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »

I don't think they'll actually carry out the sentence though, since they've still got the immune to justice tag.

If they do, then there is no point to that tag. Or its a bug. Or its VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

This is...glorious.  The perfect way to deal with nobles, just make sure they are the only craftdwarf who will be held accountable.

Hmmm... Actually, how are dwarves chosen for punishment?  Is it a selection of dwarves with skill or just with the labor activated?
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:07 am »

I'm afraid it depends on the skills, as in my fortress my nobles like to convict my soldiers, which have all their labors turned off.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:10:44 am »

This is pertinent to Toady's interests. I believe this means a few tags don't work properly... such as immunity to crime, and you would expect the menial work exemption to absolve them of responsibility anyway--you physically CAN'T have them create anything.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:50:55 am »

Except in the current version, the menial work exemption is also broken. Nobles will do anything from hauling to dragging animals around to military training to smithing the copper picks they themselves mandated, as long as the proper labours are enabled.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:13:30 am »

I can attest to this one, as my current nobles all have jobs, and are often the subject of they're own mandates.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:06 am »

So true.  I like to make my nobles into Foodies; cooks and brewers.  I figure they're just sitting around eating, drinking and socializing anyway.  They may as well have Foodie "hobbies".

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »

My king is one of the fort's top engravers. He helped decorate his own throne room and bedroom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »

If you want something done right, do it yourself?

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »

"urist mcjenkins, schedule me an ass beating at 4 o'clock for not making the glass I mandated myself to make"
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:02 pm »

The best one I had was a dwarf found drained of blood in the bedroom complex. There was a crime reported, a witness, and an accused murderer. I thought it was an easy find on the vampire: I looked at his thoughts screen and saw this:

The long list of memberships gave it away, and he had an enormous extended family, none of which were present at the fort. Okay, so he's a vamp. I lock him into a tiny room and make him bookkeeper-for-eternity.

Then I looked at the justice screen and saw that I had gotten the names mixed up, and I had locked up the accuser instead of the accused by mistake. Turns out to have been a happy accident, since when I found the dwarf accused of murder, her thoughts screen looked like this:

...so I locked her into a tiny room and made her manager-for-eternity. Two vampires in the same fort, and either one of them witnessed the other one draining a victim, or one of them drained a victim and tried to pin it on the only other vampire around. I still don't know which one of them actually did it.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.