Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Gods of Bay12: OOC Thread  (Read 30986 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of Bay12: OOC Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »

Of course the Void winning would be dull. But without opposition there's no interesting story, which is what I'm here to provide.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2013, 02:44:22 pm »

Ops sorry I did not know this thread existed. Sorry for cluttering up the main thread. Also is there a god of evil at all our of the players or would I be the first ?
Well, Xanvannos is the main antagonist, but he's more of an Ouranos than any god of evil in that he was there in the beginning and doesn't like people creating stuff in his void.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »

Oh true the void has to be pushed back for there to be an interesting story, but humans are in so many other stories that it seems overdone for them to be in here too.
I also just mean the void itself seems kind of overdone, at least as far as things that need to be pushed back.

NINJA'D:
But I don't think that form of opposition is interesting. It's not a nuanced force with interesting ramifications, it's literally just "this thing is in the way of other things existing, and will probably continue to try to ruin everything once it's been created. Deal with it before building anything."

I think a decent analogy might be digging out stone to make your base, and then worrying about caveins. It's not an interesting challenge or nemesis or anything. It's an ambient obstacle at best and a frustrating obstacle to actually doing anything at worst.

If you want opposition, you should try to push an interesting thing into a different interesting direction, not just declare yourself an obstacle to all interesting things and hope to be interesting by definition as a result.

Also, I don't know that they'd be my first choice, but I do like humans when they're defined as sort of action move hero-esque. And a few other ways (navally/coastally inclined is interesting), but usually not "they're flexible" or similar.

Ninja'd.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »

Ops sorry I did not know this thread existed. Sorry for cluttering up the main thread. Also is there a god of evil at all our of the players or would I be the first ?
Well, Xanvannos is the main antagonist, but he's more of an Ouranos than any god of evil in that he was there in the beginning and doesn't like people creating stuff in his void.
It burnsssssss, precious!
Sig! Onol

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »

Ohh ok then so I can quite snuggly fit into the god of all that is evil and the darkness within sentient species excellent
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

Of course the Void winning would be dull. But without opposition there's no interesting story, which is what I'm here to provide.
As Irony noted, that kind of Void is overdone. It's pretty dull, especially considering that you, personally, tend to overdo it. Besides, also as Irony noted, it's a dull kind of antagonist--the kind that wants the heroes dead, and that's it. One-dimensional. No wonder the Void hates the Real World and its four* dimensions...

*Possibly more, if string theory is in play here.

Ohh ok then so I can quite snuggly fit into the god of all that is evil and the darkness within sentient species excellent
Please don't become stereotypical.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »

If there was a void god in the real world, technically it would be winning.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »

That depends. Define "Void".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2013, 03:13:43 pm »

nothingness.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »

nothingness.
Then no, Void wouldn't be winning. Even vacuum has notable quantities of substance. Besides which, the "Void" hasn't gained any ground--still as much somethingness.
Certainly, the kind of Void Xantalos is all about is failing.
Sig

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »

nothingness.
Then no, Void wouldn't be winning. Even vacuum has notable quantities of substance. Besides which, the "Void" hasn't gained any ground--still as much somethingness.
I was thinking more of the space between atoms.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:59 pm »

nothingness.
True, but then you'd basically be saying that space between stuff takes up more space than stuff does. Which is obvious, even without getting into subatomic spaces.
Sig

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2013, 03:30:23 pm »

nothingness.
See: Quantum foam
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2013, 09:56:25 pm »

As Irony noted, that kind of Void is overdone. It's pretty dull, especially considering that you, personally, tend to overdo it. Besides, also as Irony noted, it's a dull kind of antagonist--the kind that wants the heroes dead, and that's it. One-dimensional. No wonder the Void hates the Real World and its four* dimensions...

*Possibly more, if string theory is in play here.
Yes yes, I know I tend to overdo that kind of thing, and right now it's boring. That's why we have character development. The ministrel is telling the story, after all, so I obviously didn't destroy everything. Maybe I calmed down or something? I dunno yet. Calling any character boring at this phase would essentially be right because there hasn't been much time for their personalities to develop. After all:
Nevarayah: Dragon thing who likes life for some undefined reason
Xavanos: Void thing who hates creation for invading his space
Cheesecake: 'I bake and eat other people too'
Survival God: 'I survive'
Wolin: Dude who literally appeared out of nowhere and created the rest of the gods for no reason
Ironeye: God who arrived on a meteor (or something to that degree) who likes creation and made a shield

Not all that much to go on.
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2013, 09:58:17 pm »

The difference--and, in fact, the main thing I'm noting--is that you seem to be one variety or another of omnicidal maniac in a large number of games, on the "universal annihilation" scale if possible.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13