Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Gods of Bay12: OOC Thread  (Read 30703 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of Bay12: OOC Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »

Exponential increase does not beat steady decline when the steady decline is upon something that starts infinite.  No matter how much of an increase there is, it can never catch up to infinity.  Really, my comprise idea is the one that basically makes the most sense.
Which one was that?
Besides, your idea requires that the Void destroys the Void Plague...and, for that matter, that the allegedly infinite Void can somehow consume all matter instantly despite not having been shown to do so, ever.
If the former is untrue, the Void Plague will continue to increase in number, exponentially, until they run out of Void to eat. As they increase in number, their rate of Void-eating increases. If the former is true, my plan is doomed to failure and never made sense to begin with. And I know I've made Void-resistant life before, so it's possible.

Worst-case scenario, a bubble of stable Something eventually develops and slowly, erratically, expands. That's good enough for me!

No, that wasn't my idea.  My idea was this:
I don't think it will stop.  I think it will be an eternal war that is occuring.  Civilization will develop within the band of substance between devour and creation, and if it reaches space-faring levels, then there will be eternal wanderers who are perpetually running from the devouring.  Might provide some interesting lore.

and my prediction of what will happen is this:
When mortals finally get successful enough to do this, then I can predict that Xavnaos (possibly the insane side of (the) Zanzetkuken(s) helping by making mortals more susceptible as well) will try to corrupt mortals to sabotage the ships to have them swallowed by the void, while Neyaravah, the sane side of (the) Zanzetkuken(s) and other deities is trying to get the mortals aligned with them to flush out the saboteurs.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:11 pm »

Guys, I think we just created a universe that is Conway's Game of Life.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »

The argument of "Exponential<Infinite" requires that the Void's Voidifying speed actually be, you know, infinite.

And if the Void Plague expands in what I will call a sphere, the Void won't be able to unmake the stuff in the middle. That's why I'm imagining the bubble.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2013, 10:10:53 pm »

The argument of "Exponential<Infinite" requires that the Void's Voidifying speed actually be, you know, infinite.

And if the Void Plague expands in what I will call a sphere, the Void won't be able to unmake the stuff in the middle. That's why I'm imagining the bubble.
Actually it just requires that the supply of Void be infinite.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »

Why? The question isn't if the Void Plague can eat all the Void, but if the Void can eat all the Something.

And it hasn't, so it won't be able to keep up with a constant, exponential stream of Something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:35 pm »

That's kinda up to the GM to decide.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2013, 10:22:48 pm »

This thread should be renamed "Exponential Expansion Versus Infinite Consumption:A Dissertation." and published in Nature.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2013, 10:34:05 pm »

Well, I'm visualizing it more as a pulse, because the void has access to the substance in some way, and is devouring it from one side while the plague is going in a direction creating.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »

Well, I'm visualizing it more as a pulse, because the void has access to the substance in some way, and is devouring it from one side while the plague is going in a direction creating.
That's where our visions differ, I suppose. It seems more natural to have the Void Plague consuming in a sphere.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:25 pm »

Why? The question isn't if the Void Plague can eat all the Void, but if the Void can eat all the Something.

And it hasn't, so it won't be able to keep up with a constant, exponential stream of Something.

This is my oppinion.

The theoretical size of the Void isn't the question here. Yeah, it won't be ALL consumed.

But the question here is whether the Void can consume our little universe.

I'm just gonna point up at my equations and shit up there for that.

And to this...

That's kinda up to the GM to decide.

At this point, I'd say that it's up to the GM to decide which way it goes, you two.

He should be the one to decide on all this stuff, anyway.
That is true, but it's a god game tradition to argue into endless futility about pointless topics that make no sense.

This.

Also! Anyone mind if I quote this?

I think this is the only place where a debate about gods uses Calculus.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:58 am »

I think I realized how a God of Knowledge can be a minor deity while a God of Luck is a great god, which was kj's question a while back.

You see, it all boils down to determinism. If you know everything that was and is, you know everything that will be. The closer your knowledge approaches absolute knowledge, the lesser the margin for error from unknown variables, naturally. So, in a way, the quest for absolute knowledge, if successful, annihilates both luck and free will, as randomness is revealed to be an illusion born of ignorance.

Naturally, this means that knowledge and luck are worst enemies, as one devalues the other extremely rapidly.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2013, 11:14:22 am »

PTW
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2013, 11:51:41 am »

I think I realized how a God of Knowledge can be a minor deity while a God of Luck is a great god, which was kj's question a while back.

You see, it all boils down to determinism. If you know everything that was and is, you know everything that will be. The closer your knowledge approaches absolute knowledge, the lesser the margin for error from unknown variables, naturally. So, in a way, the quest for absolute knowledge, if successful, annihilates both luck and free will, as randomness is revealed to be an illusion born of ignorance.

Naturally, this means that knowledge and luck are worst enemies, as one devalues the other extremely rapidly.
This is genius.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:34 pm »

Technically ignorance is the opposite of knowledge. But for lack of a god of ignorance a god of luck works.
So to quote Socrates 'There is only one good knowledge and one evil ignorance.' or something. But yeah my character is just going to sit in like a room in a different dimension or something and just randomly grant followers knowledge.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »

Damn, you guys are going in on this. And I'm messing around with three birds. :P
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13