Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To become a Wizard!  (Read 4851 times)

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: To become a Wizard!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:58 am »

Always be late, and when people call you on it, tell them that wizards are never late or early, but arrive precisely when they mean to arrive.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 02:04:52 am »

The thing about being a wizard is that the magic you use is literally impossible to understand.
So having no idea what you're doing is a good thing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:52 am »

If someone hires you to do some mumbo jumbo, always arrive at their house and then complain about memorizing the wrong spell and that you need to rest to fix it, then promptly take a nap on their couch.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:45:58 am »

If someone hires you to do some mumbo jumbo, always arrive at their house and then complain about memorizing the wrong spell and that you need to rest to fix it, then promptly take a nap on their couch.

That was actually an IRL LOL.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 02:46:51 am »

*If you don't believe these are magic, examine what they are. AI strives to give intelligence to the inanimate; robotics strives to animate the inanimate; chemistry literally spawned by looking at alchemy and creating theories based specifically on what worked; physics looks at the core structures making up the universe, revealing a deeper level of reality so arcane we can't fathom it outside of abstractions and metaphor along with equations so strange we don't even grasp the implications of them. We live in such a high-magic setting that it becomes mundane to us.
Magic is only magic for as long as we are unable to understand it, Clarke's Third Law and all that. As soon as we begin to comprehend the basic theories behind it, it stops being magic and becomes science. (Although I suppose, in the end, it's a matter of definition.)
Therein lies the trick. "We." The general population has a late 19th century conception of most of science. The only ones with a more advanced view than that are professionals in their respective fields; and usually that only applies to their respective fields. In other words, you're a wizard to everyone aside from the pros; who will probably also see you as a wizard if you do anything cross-discipline. :P
This guy? Wizard.

Being on the cutting edge, doing things that others think impossible, that is what makes a wizard.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 04:43:38 am »

Or if you want to fast track and die, get the Necronomicon.
+1

True wizards read the necronomicon
+2

Spawn the evil forces and rule the world and shit.
Brb looking for the necronomicon on ebay.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 04:59:13 am »

+1

+2

Well, it's right here.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 05:01:09 am »

+1

+2

Wait, what do you search for again? Glato, burrito, Nosferatu..?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 05:54:05 am »

+1

+2

Well, it's right here.
Seems like a prop or a fake looking from the price.
Not that it's unexpected since Lovecraft kind of pulled the idea out of his ass.

I would really love to get my hands on some kind of bible for a satanic cult, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 08:51:11 am »

Therein lies the trick. "We." The general population has a late 19th century conception of most of science. The only ones with a more advanced view than that are professionals in their respective fields; and usually that only applies to their respective fields. In other words, you're a wizard to everyone aside from the pros; who will probably also see you as a wizard if you do anything cross-discipline. :P
This guy? Wizard.

Being on the cutting edge, doing things that others think impossible, that is what makes a wizard.
But you are forgetting something: The people who work with this kind of advanced technological sorcery have an almost pathological need to explain how it actually works, which means we are rarely left in the dark about these things (or at least not in the general theories, if not the actual specifics). So, in the end, I guess the only thing that prevents us from being dominated by omnipotent technowizards is the fact that their field of expertise is too cool not to explain to people. :P
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17:45 am »

Other than this, there's the actual business of being a wizard. You know, spells and such. I don't expect myself to ever be shouting EI NATH at things, nor does that make sense, but I'm fairly sure there's a world beyond this one that's sort of accessible~ Forces beyond what I could plausibly know and all that.
So, you're saying that you're planning to study physics while dressed up in robes and wearing a pointy hat?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:15 am »

Holy shit did this thread manage not to be ignored. Thank you for the support, it's probably going to be a long and uneventful ride. It's time for wizardly updates, I guess.

Employment continues to be in limbo with the manager getting continuously more upset at the higher-ups due to their fuckups which are slowly escalating into disaster-level with shit being lost left and right. I've been reading The Golden Bough as nenjin recommended and after being three chapters in I'm still at it, so I'm probably par for the course. Located a small shop on the outskirts of town specializing in handicraft supplies where I probably could get my felt, but at this hour it'd be closed before I got to it - going to raid it tomorrow. I also found some notes from days past which I'm kind of hesitant to try... We'll see what happens when it happens, I guess. I just felt that it's necessary to give you something to say that I'm going through with this.

I used to practice meditation for a while, and the clarity of mind is something highly desirable, though I never got very far with it. I'll start trying to enter such a state in about two hours, the book won't read itself.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:57 am »

I would really love to get my hands on some kind of bible for a satanic cult, though.

As requested

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 03:11:12 am »

Just so everyone's clear, I'm sponsoring Slowpoke. No one else needs to do it, I'll be the magical patron.
It should be interesting, after all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 04:05:18 am »

As requested
This site has a lot of classical occult writing in electronic form. Also a lot of Crowley's works (in the Thelema category) and some Grimoires.
Pages: 1 [2]