Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Animal Crossing: New Leaf  (Read 12782 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »

In a few days the newest Animal Crossing game is dropping on the 3DS.  Is anyone else going to get it?

It'll be my first AC game and I hear there is some extensive multiplayer options.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17:10 pm »

My sister's been playing it for a few months now (import) and says it seems like the most solid iteration since the Gamecube games. I know it has some kind of feature wherein you can have people visit a copy of your town without being able to interact with it in a permanent way, so that takes a lot of the risk out of showing off your handiwork. Seems to have a lot of customization too.

I'm planning to pick it up when I get a 3DS later this year.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:19:52 pm »

Yeah I liked that visit mode for people you don't know.  I've read that you can let others modify your stuff but need to set them up with the allowances to do so.

Apparently I'll be needing to visit people to diversify fruit and similar things.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »

I've played all the Animal Crossing games so far. I tend to not have enough friends who play to make it worthwhile, but hopefully that'll change with this one.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »

I've played all the Animal Crossing games so far. I tend to not have enough friends who play to make it worthwhile, but hopefully that'll change with this one.

Well I'll be getting it via Download at midnight release time, so on Sunday I'll be looking for people to interact with, given I plan to loot my homeland to the bone initially.

Besides, apparently we can play the turnip or something stock market and having more friends means more potential high prices to sell at.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:06:25 pm »

I am so getting it. And then I will download all ze QR code outfits from the internets
It's FEF, not FEOF

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:58:30 am »

Fighting the urge to get this. I loved the GC version and had plenty of fun with the DS one, but I can see myself not having time for it.

My sister wants a 3DS mainly because of it.

My sister's been playing it for a few months now (import) and says it seems like the most solid iteration since the Gamecube games. I know it has some kind of feature wherein you can have people visit a copy of your town without being able to interact with it in a permanent way, so that takes a lot of the risk out of showing off your handiwork.
Glad to hear this. I know people who had their DS worlds ruined by people using hacked versions of the game.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:35:39 am »

Hmm, I haven't played this since the first itteration all those years ago, maybe I'll pick it up, dust off the ol' 3ds.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:59:34 am »

Orange alert!  My town has oranges, and maybe pears, but I'm going to sleep now, cause I gotta wait until morning to sell anything.  My primary goal is to initiate the night+ timeframe ordinance.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:52:19 am »

So, as someone who got a 3DS for Fire Emblem, and have never played an Animal Crossing game, how does it play? What's the idea behind the game?

I would really like to extend my 3DS library beyond one game and the only thing I've really been looking at is Monster Hunter.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 11:38:50 am »

Unless it's changed significantly over the years, I'd say it feels sort of like a cross between Harvest Moon and The Sims, with an emphasis on social interaction.

...Bores me to bits, so my opinion may be skewed however.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:01 am »

It's hard to really compare it to any other games... Basically, your super-deformed self heads out into the world, moving into a little town, buys a house and enters into a rather extortionate mortgage with an anthropomorphic raccoon.
From there on, you get to know your neighbours, explore, contribute to various muncipal facilities in the town, design the town theme song, sell your body work in the general store to pay your mortgage, and even visit other people's towns online.

Personally I absolutely adore this game. Colour me as one of the people thinking getting a 3DS specifically for it. :)

...Dang, now I feel kinda bad about abandoning all my neighbours back on the Wii version. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:12 pm »

It's basically like living a second virtual life in a little cartoon setting, where time passes in realtime. This is one of the big things keeping me from playing it (the commitment to baby it nearly every day) but it can be a draw for others who like to dabble in it.

I do like the game, it just seems, that because of how you have to spend so much time in it you quickly do everything you can, and after that it's just a matter of collecting all the rare stuff and waiting/cheating for holidays to come around to see special events.

If it was a bit more like Harvest Moon then I would find the game more appealing, I loved Rune Factory and enjoyed harvest Moon.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:06:18 pm by OzyTheSage »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »

I, myself, always loved to abuse the hell out of the system clock in order to advance through many days at once.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »

For everyone just picking this up, my sister was also saying that it actually takes a long time to unlock a lot of the main features in the game, since a lot of it is time-based. She estimated 1-2 weeks before she had the majority of stuff available. Stuff like the street pass features and the ability to scan QR codes were unavailable for the first few days, and the island came later. The shopping district which has a lot of different stores and things like the K.K. meeting place only built up gradually over the course of the first couple weeks.

So...don't be surprised if there's not much to do at first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7