Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Important Fort-born Creature Size Information for Modders -- Updated with Guide  (Read 4077 times)

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks to the diligent work of the forum goers in this thread: Fort-born creatures stay around baby-size an issue with the current release has been found that fortress-born (as in the creatures born in your fort during a current game) creatures and dorfs will stay at or around baby size for that creature. This leads to several issues:

• Dramatically reduce the amount of butcherable meat and other products from fort-born creatures.
  • Dwarves (and custom civilization creatures) will be born at dramatically reduced size and will not be able to field weapons like hammers, maces, greatswords, and the like as effectively as they should.
  • Blunt weapon damage (aside from unarmed strikes) will be drastically reduced by these smaller creatures when wielding weapons that deal blunt damage.
  • The general combat effectiveness of warbeasts will be greatly reduced from their wild versions. If you ever wondered why your hoard of sabercats seems to be slaughtered every sieges... well their about the size of housecats, adorable, but not deadly

Here's just how big the differences between fort-born(native) and migrant dwarves are:
Checking all the peasants:

NameStatusBlood countDescription
Ilon AquastockadeImmigrant5940Corpulent
Edem RoughnessjailsImmigrant6180Average in size
Avuz AnathelNative505Corpulent
Etru GembrushNative482Strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard
Solon YellrimNative397Average in size
Stukos ShinbronzeNative457Thin and scrawny
Zuglar WindlashNative311Average in size
Fikod InkmartyredNative443Short and muscular
Cerlo ClaspedtwistedNative382Muscular
Morul ArmorabbeyNative722Tall and skinny
Ast ChainedtradedImmigrant4440Short and just incredibly fat
Logem PaddlesavantNative721Short with well-defined muscles
Melbil AmazedmirrorImmigrant5700Corpulent

There is, however, a definitely fortressborn miner with blood count of 6060 and a woodcutter with 5940. I could likely find more normal-sized native dwarves, though the majority are indeed on the small side. Looks like things are getting complex.

Also, a random incredibly skinny kid is 811, a sample of five dingos (all gigantic) ranges from 379 to 1305, one horse is 60000 (presumably the single mare I bought from a caravan a few years ago), while other ones ( mostly 16000 - 22000) are slightly larger than foals (9000-11000); all are gigantic or enormous.

Current proposed workarounds include:
teal = confirmed
yellow= pending
red = debunked
  • Running these scripts using DFHack:
    • Spoiler: Author Note's (click to show/hide)
    • Spoiler: Putnam's Script (click to show/hide)
    • Special Mention to Urist Da Vinci for finding the one line to rule them all:
  • Modding all creatures (or just the ones you care about) to be born at their full adult size. This will require a regen for the effects to occur but will address the issue in any other generated world
  • Updating existing save's raws so that dwarves (or any custom civilization creatures), any other creatures are born at adult size. Note this should only effect dwarves and creatures born after this change was made and will only affect the current save
  • Interactions that tranform or "heal" the creature appear to restore the creatures to something near their expected size **Thanks to fricy for confirmation of this

Updated with the a step-by-step guide (courtesy of Okami No Rei) and DFHack scripts.
-- It is recommended you run these or use Okami's patched raws if you are not comfortable with using DFHack.

Additional Notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:01:20 pm by Black_Legion »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Important Fort-born creature size information for Modders!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:24 pm »

Idea: use a transformation syndrome on minidwarves, turning them into dwarves. May or may not need to be permanent, if it works.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »

Idea: use a transformation syndrome on minidwarves, turning them into dwarves. May or may not need to be permanent, if it works.

If the reaction is permanent then it should make them the default adult size, assuming transformations always sets the creature to an adult version of the transformed into creature. This would require a regen and necessary interaction tags in the civ file which is a drawback. We should probably use some science on that, though to my knowledge no one has ever done transforming reactions on children.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »

You are onto something with transformations:
Tested with Masterworks mod 2.h - Heal nearby pet reaction in the Warkennels & Transform into Armok's ward in the temple.

Drake: before age 2, blood  562, after: age 26!, 14980
Dwarf before: age 13, blood: 864, after: age 3!, blood 2270

As for how permanent it is: The transformation seems to screw around with the birth year to (by?) a negative value (wtf??). I found two creatures in my fort that have neg. birth year, (I ran this reaction a few times before, so I assume these were  the ones healed by it) one of them normal size, the other micro size. So that's 3 out 4 transformations that fixed a creature.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:45:16 pm »

Tested with Masterworks mod 2.h - Heal nearby pet reaction in the Warkennels & Transform into Armok's ward in the temple.

As for how permanent it is: The transformation seems to screw around with the birth year to (by?) a negative value (wtf??). I found two creatures in my fort that have neg. birth year, (I ran this reaction a few times before, so I assume these were  the ones healed by it) one of them normal size, the other micro size. So that's 3 out 4 transformations that fixed a creature.
So could you stop a animal/dwarf from dying of old age with that?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:17 pm »

Oh, wow... I had no idea this was happening. Do you guys know how long this has been going on? :S

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:53:38 pm »

So could you stop a animal/dwarf from dying of old age with that?

Sure, there's even a workshop that does exactly that. I couldn't test that reaction though, because I forgot to fix a bug with it, and the building decontructed... :)

The thing is, I don't even know how these transformations are supposed to work, and is the age thingy intentional, or some quirk.We nee some modders here...

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:20:38 pm »

Oh, wow... I had no idea this was happening. Do you guys know how long this has been going on? :S

From the thread this issue seemingly came up in the creature/body rewrites of the .31+ era. The in-depth butchery analysis of things like the mermaid farm of the .40d era didn't show any of these findings. Thankfully a bug report has been made in the tracker and it has been given elevated priority.

That's good that some of the transformation interactions appear to help this issue.

Here are some of the findings in the original thread that helped find the issue, these are just a comparison between migrant and fort-born(native) dwarves blood_max sizes (indicates the overall size of the creature):
Checking all the peasants:

NameStatusBlood countDescription
Ilon AquastockadeImmigrant5940Corpulent
Edem RoughnessjailsImmigrant6180Average in size
Avuz AnathelNative505Corpulent
Etru GembrushNative482Strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard
Solon YellrimNative397Average in size
Stukos ShinbronzeNative457Thin and scrawny
Zuglar WindlashNative311Average in size
Fikod InkmartyredNative443Short and muscular
Cerlo ClaspedtwistedNative382Muscular
Morul ArmorabbeyNative722Tall and skinny
Ast ChainedtradedImmigrant4440Short and just incredibly fat
Logem PaddlesavantNative721Short with well-defined muscles
Melbil AmazedmirrorImmigrant5700Corpulent

There is, however, a definitely fortressborn miner with blood count of 6060 and a woodcutter with 5940. I could likely find more normal-sized native dwarves, though the majority are indeed on the small side. Looks like things are getting complex.

Also, a random incredibly skinny kid is 811, a sample of five dingos (all gigantic) ranges from 379 to 1305, one horse is 60000 (presumably the single mare I bought from a caravan a few years ago), while other ones ( mostly 16000 - 22000) are slightly larger than foals (9000-11000); all are gigantic or enormous.

It's amazing to see the sheer difference in size between migrant and fort-born citizens.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »

I wonder with this age breaker (in some cases i've had a creature rapidly age through transformation) I believe it's an issue with different MAX_AGE settings, imagin a dog that lives a max of 10-20 years, lets say 10 is the max (for easy figuring) and a dwarf is 100-150 (not the actual data in the raws, just easy figuring)

Now lets round the dwarf max age down to 100 and say the dog is 5 years old (half way)
would say transforming it to a dwarf create a 50 year old dwarf?

As I've done a little bit of testing and found that even a temp transformation to an ageless entity (Dwarf to Bronze Colossi and back) seems to drastically age the subject (in the few tests I've done) however some cases are that perhaps like MW age is thrown into reverse. If I can get this age breaker to work as I want, I could have a method of growing my own armies instantly. instead of waiting a min of 1 year (the bare least for the CHILD/BABY tags)

time to break the science out and hit up adventure mode.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:04:12 pm »

I didn't know Drakes live to be ~403,291,461,100,000,000,000,000,000 .-. That's also 4.032914611 * 10^26, or 26!.

Nevertheless, PTW, interesting stuffs.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »

I made a dfmod file that makes all child sizes equal to the adult size for every creature in vanilla. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7730

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »

I made a dfmod file that makes all child sizes equal to the adult size for every creature in vanilla. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7730

Thanks for your work I'll add the link to the top post.

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

Out of interest (I'm a noob, by admission) how do we implement .dfmod files?

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »

Out of interest (I'm a noob, by admission) how do we implement .dfmod files?

If you mean how to apply the file, you want: DFMM
If you mean how they're generated... best I can tell you is that DFMM creates them as a sort of custom diff file.

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »

I'm getting the error: "Access is denied: '...\\raw\\objects\\text' File "Dfmm.py", line 542, in install"... What do I do? :(
Pages: [1] 2