Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF  (Read 21634 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:39 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:42 pm »

My dwarves only ever drink alcohol if it came with them to the fort or there is no water on the map.
Other than that, I tend on the benevolent side.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:49 pm »

I have intentionally condemned dwarves to a horrible death. I have even deprived them of alcohol, personal bedrooms, and proper, high-class dining areas and food for extended periods.

Outside of that, I have made some relatively controversial mods, which impact the dwarves' lives in interesting ways. Such as giving them genitalia to be lopped off, by hordes of semi-megabeasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:54 am »

This one time, I t... traded.

With the elves!
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:20 am »

ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE

ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 01:01:43 am »

I dumped food and booze off a short cliff.  I then dumped several stones of marble while the children of the fort ate there.

Why did I do this you ask.  I was dangerously close to 20 dorfs and I didn't want any strange moods.

Four members of a migrant wave were a family.  When the children died the parents went insane.  My thoughts were, "Good, now I worry about strange moods for even longer."

The tantrum spiral stopped with only my miner alive.  I actually wanted him to die so I could re-embark.  No joy, still playing that same game.  Good news is that my mega project to flood a 15x15 area with only minecarts full of water is almost completed.

It's been 18 years and I have yet to start an underground farm.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:12 am »

When my duke demanded a steel throne in his dining room, i installed an upright steel spear in there. He didn't take the hint. (No flux on site, so i wasn't going to burn steel on silly demands; this didn't prevent me from forging a steel anvil, of course.)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 02:10:47 am »

I keep the choicest goblin prisoners in aquariums. A few forts back I put one such aquarium atop a marble spire outside. Then, every winter, the water inside the aquarium froze around the goblin.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 02:27:38 am »

When my duke demanded a steel throne in his dining room, i installed an upright steel spear in there.
I think you've made your... point.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA-*is shot*

Väinämöinen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Has gone without a drink for far, far too long
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:34 am »

I got a goblin ambush with a one troll squad. Goblins were killed but trolls went straight to my cage traps and so the whole squad was caged. I transferred trolls in my underground archery training cave: its an hall seperated with a bridge. Trolls are on the other side of the bridge (retracted) and untrained crossbowmen on the other.
Result: miserable, barely living, rotten, puking and bleeding trolls wondering like giant moving pincushions.

Crossbowmen were happy: they took a pleasure of slaughter recently.  :)
Assimilated by the C64 in the 80's. Lost since then.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:49 am »

One thing I'll never forget was walling in a mooding new mother after she took over a junk workshop in the corner of the meeting hall. I didn't have the glass or something to give her and so frantically built a wall around the workshop incase she went beserk. She did.

I didn't realise until she did that she had a baby in there with her and she beat the poor little thing to death. :'(

I'm not exactly a fan of dwarven children but I sure as hell felt awful about that.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 03:59:09 am »

One thing I'll never forget was walling in a mooding new mother after she took over a junk workshop in the corner of the meeting hall. I didn't have the glass or something to give her and so frantically built a wall around the workshop incase she went beserk. She did.

I didn't realise until she did that she had a baby in there with her and she beat the poor little thing to death. :'(

I'm not exactly a fan of dwarven children but I sure as hell felt awful about that.

This is by far the most horrible thing posted so far.  I think this one wins.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 04:25:59 am »

I wanted some interesting engravings, so I decided to give my dwarves something to watch in the hope that they would carve it.  I built my fortress with a 40 tile long entrance hall.  I then channeled the floor and put retracting bridges over it.  I did the same on the next lower level.  And on the level under that, I put some upright spikes linked to a repeater.  On the side of my "holding chamber" and "blending chamber", I put fortifications, and windows behind those fortifications, and an observation hall behind those windows. 

So, over the course of several years, whenever a siege or ambush squad would show up, I would drop them into the holding chamber.  The benefit of a holding chamber is that the siegers don't retreat since technically, nobody is dead, yet.  I built up a sizable army of one or two hundred goblins in my holding chamber.  Again, after a number of years, I decreed it ready.  I took a handful of dogs, and pastured them in the entrance hall.  I drafted my engravers and stationed them in the observation chamber, and then locked the door.  I then pulled the lever, dropping the dogs into the mix of goblins.  The goblins tore them apart almost instantly.  Anyway, while this was not a nice thing to do, I wouldn't consider it particularly horrible; however, I neglected to mention one rather crucial detail.  I had embarked in a reanimating biome.  The dogs came back to life.  4 zombies vs. 200 goblins?  They died pretty quick again.  However, the dogs would not stay dead.  Until one of them got lucky, and managed to tear an arm off one of the gobs.  Slowly, but surely, the chewed and ripped off limbs overcame the hundreds of goblins.  It was difficult to see what was going on through all of the miasma.  All I know is that the number of goblins dropped.  Slowly at first, but more and more quickly. 

Once all that was left was a bunch of zombie limbs and corpses, I allowed my engravers to leave while I prepared the next stage.  I dropped the zombies to the bottom level, and turned on the automated spikes, thinking that eventually the pieces would start to rot away.  (Incidentally, they didn't.  I just got more pieces.)

So, I started gathering sieges again.  After a few more years, I had hundreds of goblins.  I like to think that they could hear the sounds coming from the chamber below.  I once again stationed my engravers, this time in the lower observation chamber.  I then dropped the new goblins in to pit of repeating pikes and zombie limbs.  It was over very quickly. 

So, after years of preparation, I considered my engravers ready.  They had honed their art smoothing the entire fortress.  They had watched hundreds of goblins getting torn to pieces by the undead.  The images surely must be etched upon their psyches.  I had them start engraving the trade depot first.  Nothing but circles, dwarves travelling, a titan moving into a cave, etc. 

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 05:01:30 am »

-snip-
It doesn't matter that this didn't work. It sounds glorious.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 06:10:08 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7