Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF  (Read 20790 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »

We've all heard of mermaid genocide in the name of profit, nightmarish "dwarven daycare centers," and what are quite frankly sadistic and overly-convoluted trap-designs purposefully built to torture invaders to death.  What I would like to know, though is what's the worst thing YOU have ever done in DF?

Mine was a Vault 101 mega-project.  I modded dwarves to have an extremely low lifespan and a high birthrate, setting the pop cap to 7. I embarked, waited for the first two hard-coded migrant waves, then burrowed into the earth and sealed the entrance, never to see the surface again. After about 30-40 years, all of my dwarves were horribly in-bred and no one had seen the surface for nearly five generations.  I imposed a sadistic rule, brutally enforcing mandates under the pain of death.  Since I never breached the caverns, some goods were hard to come by, namely wood.  Eventually the Vault crumbled via tantrum spiral, brother killing brother, cousin killing mother, father killing daughter.  I was quite astounded by how blood-soaked the walls and floors were when the last dwarf starved to death.

So tell me, Bay12, what's the worst thing you've ever done with your dwarves?

kuniqs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrible thing you've ever done in DF
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

Once I had a crippled dwarf in old, crippled version which had unusable crutches, making leg-wounded dwarfs useless. He got a mod, crawled to armory and became a legendary armorsmith. Then he got back to bed and continued to be useless again.

I've breached hell and arranged so he'll be the last one to die, hearing the screams of his friends and going insane from imagining what's coming for him.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

I stopped a party in the dining hall once.  Cruel, I know.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:25 pm »

I stopped playing DF to come and watch this thread.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:58:43 pm »

I made dwarves drink water.

I don't usually torment them. I give them a 3x3 bedroom, a good dining room, a rock coffer and a cabinet in each room. Then I forget about them.

I also made someone go into a danger room without a gauntlet. Whoops. He bled to death.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:40 pm »

You sick sadistic bastard.

Hmmm... The worst thing I have done was probably when I converted my danger room into a makeshift jail.  I had no desire to enable dwarven justice (way to many missed mandates) and due to a rash of undead related deaths I had a lot of unhappy fully armored dwarves bashing up my medical squad, so I sent the worst offenders into the danger room naked.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:32 pm »

You sick sadistic bastard.
To be fair, it was when I was learning. Although that lasted for a while, and was still cruel.
And your post reminds me, I once chained prisoners next to a lake in the cavern for punishment. The lake for water was a nice touch, as was making them defend themselves from the various creatures that were coming out of the lake.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »

An undetermined number of felines have met their doom at the bottom of very long garbage chutes, attempting to swim in very hot molten rock.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:15 pm »

back in 40d i did some horrible stuff.

embarked on a human town that had a brook right next to the big town hall thing that human towns had.  walled up the doors, then built a pump tower to pump the brook into the human hall and drown them.

embarked on a dark fortress, dug out a massive cavern below it, then channeled around it, dropping it and crushing the (still peaceful) goblins inside.  their demon leader was on the roof and could fly.  so i built a tower leading up to him, some walls around him, and a ballista in-front of him.  that took him out.

speaking of ballista, when the trade dopot got full (of my own kinsmen no less), i fortified in front of it, then started shooting a ballista into the depot.  iirc the constant barrage and rotting corpses caused the survivors and their animals to go insane.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:33:40 pm »

On my first fortress my dwarves started throwing a munch of tantrums. I decided to ground them from the outside world like the spoiled children they were. Sealed off all entrances and let them all dehydrate to death. The saddest part was the dwarves stuck out side. They were just fine and they lasted longer then the ones inside.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:36 pm »

I wanted to test the effects of unskilled doctors, and to test the effects of ballistae. Therefore, I set up a ballista in the dining hall during a party. Turns out that unskilled doctors are ok, just slow (no malpractice), while ballista bolts are blunt.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:03 pm »

I embarked on a volcano once.  I was curious about what was at the very bottom so I tossed a kitten in.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:04 pm »

I embarked on a volcano once.  I was curious about what was at the very bottom so I tossed a kitten in.

Pei Lei Demands a Sacrifice!

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »

i tried dwarven daycare once with training spears........ and realized the kids should have really worn a helmet and knee pads...
so later i just wait till they are fully grown citizens to wrap them in metal and try daycare once more. (but now they are grown ups so its called danger room)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:10 pm »

Well, I devised plans that-
nightmarish "dwarven daycare centers,"
Oh, we've been over that.  Right then, carry on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7