Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304560 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

About
A 16x16 graphics set for DF2012 (v0.34.11v01). It focuses on consistency and stylized realism to harmonize the different tiles and give a more "medieval" atmosphere to the game. Unlike other tilesets, this also specifically sets aside different tiles for grass which also animates (giving it the effect of gently rustling in the wind). This makes it easier to distinguish pasturable areas from bare rock and sand, tell apart different biomes, as well as letting you plan green (or blue, if you're going with cave moss) gardens along your entrance halls. Just make sure to forbid traffic on it to avoid trampling them to bare ground.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or problems, please don't hesitate to tell me about them. This is based on Phoebus' Graphics Set

Download and installation:

NOTICE: This graphics set has not been officially updated for the newest DF versions (DF2014), since I didn't have much free time in 2014 and I am now devoting my time on remaking a different version with higher resolution tiles for TWBT. Some people have kindly made a temporary update for this set. They are bundled together with PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack for Windows, fricy's MacNewbie Pack for Mac, and Beautato's Linux Lazy Newb Pack for Linux. I highly recommend that you download those instead, as they also come with a ton of useful utilities. Please back up your game before using graphic sets. Thank you.

Pre-bundled:
I highly recommend that you use this with the Lazy Newb Pack (available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users) . As these contain various bugfixes, plugins, and utilities that will make your Dwarf Fortress experience much more pleasant (particularly the indispensible Dwarf Therapist utility). For the Lazy Newb Pack for Windows, click here to get the latest unofficial expanded version compiled by PeridexisErrant. For the MacNewbie Pack for Macs, click here to get the latest version by fricy. For the Lazy Newb Pack for Linux, click here for the installer by andrewd18. This is already pre-bundled with them, so no need to install the patch. Simply select this from the preexisting graphics set choices. Don't forget to go over your start up settings again in LNP or MNP after activating this.

Patch:
If you are not using LNP or MNP, click here (1.65 MB, zip archive) to download the patch from the Dwarf Fortress File Depot. To install, unzip the file, then simply copy and paste the contents of the folder into the DF directory and overwrite when prompted. You may want to back it up first.

If you have preexisting saves, copy the raw folder of the Obsidian pack and paste it into the specific save folder you want to use. Overwrite when prompted.
[/s]

Main tileset preview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screenshots:
My fortresses kinda suck. So if you have a screenshot of your own glorious fortress using this tileset, please post them below and I may add them here. Thank you in advance.  :)

Changelog:
v.08 Alpha
0.7 Alpha
0.6 Alpha

Credits:
You can use this tileset any way and anywhere you like. Credits to me and the others listed below would be appreciated however.

If you liked this graphics set, please consider offering a small sacrifice to Armok, destroyer of worlds.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:15:54 am by Obsidian Soul »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Tileset
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:42 pm »

Reserved

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »

Reserved

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:27:24 pm »

Reserved

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »

This looks glorious, it's like a mix of grim-dark (but not too much) and classic game graphics (shining force)

Nice work.

EDIT: downloaded before the OP could be edited for the link :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:38:42 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:19 pm »

This looks glorious, it's like a mix of grim-dark (but not too much) and classic game graphics (shining force)

Nice work.

EDIT: downloaded before the OP could be edited for the link :P

LOL. Couldn't wait, huh? :D Don't forget to send me feedback and stuff1.

1Masterfully made adamantine goblets encircled with menacing spikes of diamond and filled with Dwarven beer
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:56:51 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:28 pm »

Downloading it now, screens look really good though!

Edit: Yeah, played around with it, looks beautiful! Kudos to you O:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:52:16 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:32:53 pm »

I'm surprised, you animal list for graphics was more updated then the phoebus one I had with my Slap Graphics. Extra diamond spikes for being up to date (altho idk how I got an older/incomplete version)

Either way looks tip top and will be back in a few days (maybe less) with feedback after I take her for a long spin.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:56:47 am »

I am extremely happy this is out!
i love the walls and especially the feel of them, it is different and may be my new favorite

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:22 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys. What do you think of the ground tiles, btw? That's experimental atm. I'm not sure if I like it that much as they look a bit... flat. I may revert to Phoebus' varied ground tiles, but then again maybe I had just become used to them being different shades.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:07 am »

I love everything but sand, it stands out from the ground too much. A bit smoother/ground-like sand would be nice. Everything else is GLORIOUS.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:59:28 am »

Very excited to try this tileset! It looks GREAT!
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:23:01 am »

I just played with it, yep, IMHO sand is sweet but should blend with ground better. Everything else is FABULOUSS.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:52:33 am »

I just played with it, yep, IMHO sand is sweet but should blend with ground better. Everything else is FABULOUSS.

LOL.

As for sand. Hm, that's what Meph said too. I'll see what I can do. I loathe to lose my wavy water though. :[ Sand and water use the same 2 tiles.

And thanks Primus. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:54:29 am by Obsidian Soul »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 11:05:05 am »

Ok quick tweaking by overlaying the sand swirls and waves with a generic noise textures. I like the results. What do you think?
(Pardon the mess, I just had to fend off 2 successive sieges)

I also tried darkening it, but didn't like the result. It makes white sand look like black sand.

I've also reintroduced the varied shades in the ground tiles and fixed some background mismatch in the colon and semi-colon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18