Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304413 times)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I dug up my dusty account just to let you know I've been using your tileset with DF 2014 no problem. It took some fiddling, but this is all you have to do to make Obsidian work with .08.

@Evaris, all your problems come from pasting old init files into updated DF. You're not supposed to do that. :P

Okay so here's how:

First, paste the Obsidian Raw folder into your freshly downloaded DF.

Open the Data folder and paste in the Art folder from Obsidian.

Open the Init folder and copy the colors.txt. Do not copy the inits! Instead, edit them as follows.

1. Pop open init.txt, find this bit, and change whatever is necessary so that it looks like this. Or just copy over it carefully.

Code: [Select]
This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to the 800x600 font might make you happier.
If set below 256x256 it specifies the grid size instead, with a minimum of 80x25.

[WINDOWEDX:800]
[WINDOWEDY:400]
[FONT:Obsidian_16x16.png]

You may disable window resizing if you wish.
[RESIZABLE:YES]

Full screen info.  The 0s below mean that the game will choose a resolution for you, but you can set it yourself as well.

[FULLSCREENX:0]
[FULLSCREENY:0]
[FULLFONT:Obsidian_16x16.png]

If this is set to NO, tiles will be stretched to fit the screen if there is a resolution mismatch.
If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space.  Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Graphics info, most of it as above.  Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on.  This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information.  Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded.  The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate.  As of May 2012, the Dwarf Fortress Wiki has custom tilesets available at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository and creature graphics at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics_set_repository.

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1350]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:600]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Obsidian_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Obsidian_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

2. Now, it should look be working. Create a world and embark. By default, the tree trunks appear as brown O's. To change this, pop open the d_init again and find this:

[TREE_CAP_PILLAR:'O']
[TREE_CAP_PILLAR_DEAD:'O']

And replace with this:

[TREE_TRUNK_PILLAR:79]
[TREE_TRUNK_PILLAR_DEAD:79]

This will make tree trunks appear like the well tile. Looks better, in my opinion. You can replace the tile with some other one too, if you want, by opening the tileset picture and comparing it with http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets to figure out the right number.

3. At all times, make sure this in the d_init.txt file

[VARIED_GROUND_TILES:NO]
is set to

[VARIED_GROUND_TILES:YES]
On this depends whether the grass and ground look as intended.

And that's it, yer done.

Thanks for creating this tileset, I adore it so much. I really wish it had diagonal walls though.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

@Evaris, all your problems come from pasting old init files into updated DF. You're not supposed to do that. :P

I haven't had any problems aside from trees looking better in Phoebus right now and the grass not animating.   :-\  Not sure where you got the idea I was having problems.  (Unless the init bit would cause the grass not to animate?)
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't had any problems aside from trees looking better in Phoebus right now and the grass not animating.   :-\  Not sure where you got the idea I was having problems.  (Unless the init bit would cause the grass not to animate?)

Those are exactly the problems I meant though. Copying the init over made the tree trunk use the ground tile instead of O, and the VARIED_GROUND_TILES being set to NO in the copied init made grass ugly.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

Those are exactly the problems I meant though. Copying the init over made the tree trunk use the ground tile instead of O, and the VARIED_GROUND_TILES being set to NO in the copied init made grass ugly.

The tree trunks weren't using ground tiles, just that the tree trunks aren't a unique tree-trunk looking tile like in Phoebus. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

another great tileset which delivers a nice grim tone to the world....which is quite harsh with all the baddies wanting a bite from the dwarves :).

hope this gets some updates :).

ratherBcoding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2014, 03:20:35 pm »

Great tileset! Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:26:56 pm by ratherBcoding »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

Hey, I dug up my dusty account just to let you know I've been using your tileset with DF 2014 no problem. It took some fiddling, but this is all you have to do to make Obsidian work with .08.

You'll need to do far more than just this to update things. Look inside the raw/objects folder in the Obsidian download and you'll see all of the game's raws there. Most (if not all) of them were updated for the new Dwarf Fortress version. I'm not certain what changes Obsidian made to the raw files, but you're much better off using DF 2014's raw files than Obsidian's DF 2012's raw files. The raw/graphics files are necessary and should be fine to use with the new version.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:24:05 pm by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »

Obsidian uses Phoebus as base, with changes to plants/grasses only.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »

I'm not certain why the Obsidian patch download includes all of the other raws if they're unchanged. It's definitely preferable to use DF 2014 raws then until Obsidian is properly updated.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:29:37 pm by Taffer »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2014, 12:58:51 am »

It includes the other raws, because it uses Phoebus raws, which by themselves change almost all inorganics, plants and vermin. Since this patch is supposed to be used on vanilla DF, Obsidian had to include them as well. If you would download Phoebus and patch it to Obsidian, the changes would be much smaller.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:50 am »

Thx for the tip, I patched Obsidian 0.8 based on Phoebus.
Unofficial Obsidian 40.11 pack

lewinthistle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »

The "Unofficial 40.11" patch worked for me in 40.13 LNP.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2014, 11:49:48 pm »

Yes there isn't anything that is to important in those patches besides in the .exe itself.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2014, 11:31:25 pm »

Hi all again. Sorry for the silence. First off, thank you very much to the guys who updated the set for the newer builds. I couldn't do so myself because I'm currently concentrating on an entirely different kind of update. A new set made specifically for TWBT. It's 32x32 for the graphics (though 16x16 for the main tileset still), so I have to entirely remake everything. I'll still aim for that medieval look though. Hope I can pull it off.

Here's a preview of the upgraded peasant dorf:

Oh and if I recall correctly, the only raws I changed (not counting the Phoebus raws), are the plants, grasses, and aquifer files. Not sure though, it's been so long.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:45:03 pm by Obsidian Soul »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2014, 11:53:29 pm »

Hi all again. Sorry for the silence. First off, thank you very much to the guys who updated the set for the newer builds. I couldn't do so myself because I'm currently concentrating on an entirely different kind of update. A new set made specifically for TWBT. It's 32x32 for the graphics (though 16x16 for the main tileset still), so I have to entirely remake everything. I'll still aim for that medieval look though. Hope I can pull it off.

Here's a preview of the upgraded peasant dorf:

Oh and if I recall correctly, the only raws I changed (not counting the Phoebus raws), are the plants, grasses, and aquifer files. Not sure though, it's been so long.

Cool
PTW
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18