Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304468 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2015, 07:11:19 am »

boulder is a tiletype. It's a native boulder found on map, not an item you receive after digging a wall. So you should use 'T' instead of 'I'.
never mind, i was wrong
Plus what it that tile number 398 means? maximum number available is 255 ;)
proper map-boulder will be [OVERRIDE:236:T:StoneBoulder:3:32]
proper piece-of-stone will be [OVERRIDE:7:I:BOULDER:BOULDER::3:32]

Don't know what is wrong with sceptre and crown, usually reason of override not working is a typo :)

Added: wild guess: try to type ":0:", instead of "::" in the "subtype" section

Added2: plus, if you beginning from scratch, you don't need to override crown, since it's the only thing that uses tile 230

Oh doh! LOL. I got that from the DFHack probe function. It said tiletype 398 and I unthinkingly used it. That said, still not working.  :( I'll play around with it some more I guess after I get  more tiles done. Graphics first.

And ideally I'd override as many tiles as possible, even when unnecessary, to make way for tiles that can not be overriden but can be defined in raws, e.g. different plants/grasses (also since the main tileset has a different resolution).

I'm just starting to realize that this project means I'll probably be making thousands of tiles. *headdesk* Biggest worry at the moment really is the coding part. Since I used Phoebus as a base in my old set, I didn't have to deal much with that before.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2015, 08:27:50 am »

Oh doh! LOL. I got that from the DFHack probe function. It said tiletype 398 and I unthinkingly used it. That said, still not working.

No! First number isn't a tile type, it's a tile number :) Ie. from http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets

That's how it works - it first checks if there are any overrides for a given tile number because it's very fast operation, and if there are, then fetches more data about the tile (which is slower) and processes overrides.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2015, 06:49:18 pm »

I override the crown and scepter in my overrides which I've taken a break on. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129219.120. Bottom of the page, I saw you wrote in the twbt thread that you were already looking at that though so you should have already seen that. The raws used are different though so maybe you aren't seeing it. (I'll check to see why the crown and scepter aren't working I could have sworn they were) Well they worked for me I just disabled them from the finished good stockpiles they were in to see if they were working. It could be something Toady did that changed it or a feature in twbt that changed? I checked on 40.15 so idk.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All I did to test that stuff quickly was give myself a bunch of embark points so I could get a bunch of items move them all to a stockpile and see if they were overrode, or start with extra dwarves so testing was quicker but yeah if you have a more advanced fort it is much easier to test things.

For the Stoneboulder try these, different tile names depending on the rock type after all

[OVERRIDE:236:T:StoneBoulder:3:32]
[OVERRIDE:236:T:FeatureBoulder:3:32]
[OVERRIDE:236:T:MineralBoulder:3:32]

Instead of the :3: for the tileset name you can use an the actual name of the tileset (without the .png I think, especially when you use more than a few extra ones it becomes more manageable, I didn't do it because that was a feature that came to be after I learned the first way. It makes it easier to manage and understand what that is for from the outside at least.

Really looking forward to how this turns out it's looking really nice so far. I'm no artist and just comparing your work to what I see of my overrides lol..  :'(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:54:45 pm by LeoCean »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:38 am »

No! First number isn't a tile type, it's a tile number :) Ie. from http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets

That's how it works - it first checks if there are any overrides for a given tile number because it's very fast operation, and if there are, then fetches more data about the tile (which is slower) and processes overrides.

I know, LOL. My brain just goes numb when dealing with code I guess, and I was a bit tired when I did that. d:

@LeoCean Thanks! I'll try that. BTW, your #Comments in the Spacefox overrides were extremely helpful. :) And pff, your work fits with Spacefox's artstyle, that's what counts more. My pseudo-realistic set may end up looking worse in the long run, heh, as the game itself is geared more towards minimalism when it comes to graphics. Detail isn't always good, and I may still simplify some things if they look wonky ingame. :P

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2015, 06:06:34 pm »

Yeah I built the spacefox overrides in the hope that they would be expanded upon, idk if fricy included the file which had a credits line for each tile and what that tile was for in his uploaded version though. (It helps)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2015, 08:20:28 pm »

Nahhhhh man, I'm sure I'm not the only person on a 1920x1080 or higher resolution screen that has to lean up and squint at the screen from time to time to try and decipher what is happening when a few less well-differentiated tiles start bumping up against each other. Why I loved the spacefox dorfs so much, instantly clear which is which, though I can't remember how they got sized to 24x24, gotta dig through my "I'm glad I kept these now" zip backlog real quick.

Found em: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10419 someone did some graphical wizardry and cleanly upscaled phoebus and spacefox to 24x24, I had the thread somewhere but don't know where as it was before I actually signed up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:30:48 pm by Max™ »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2015, 08:43:46 pm »

Ah, yes...upon closer inspection, it looks like these were resized with HQx. It's a pixel art resizing algorithm that lets you smoothly scale stuff up to 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x resolutions. It can screw up some details but it's actually very commonly used in emulators.

You can download HQx and much better resizing algorithms like xBr here. And it's funny you'd bring this subject up, because I actually found this program a few minutes ago and I was really eager to share it. Unlike other pixel art resizing programs out there, it can handle alpha transparency! :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:45:44 pm by DragonDePlatino »

nippes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2015, 02:39:08 pm »

This set is imho most gorgeous.
11/10 would set again.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

DF with a 32x set will be amazing. I will make an higher res version for my mod myself but since I am no artist, may I use yours as a example to start with?

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF with a 32x set will be amazing. I will make an higher res version for my mod myself but since I am no artist, may I use yours as a example to start with?

Sorry for the late reply. Ran out of free time again so the upgrading has been put on hold. :(

But yes you can. Again, reuse/adaptation/rework of this set is encouraged (you can use any of the 32x I've finished and posted as well). Credit appreciated, but not required. Have fun :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:25:59 am by Obsidian Soul »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Sorry for the late reply. Ran out of free time again so the upgrading has been put on hold. :(

But yes you can. Again, reuse/adaptation/rework of this set is encouraged (you can use any of the 32x I've finished and posted as well). Credit appreciated, but not required. Have fun :)

No worries, it helped me a lot to figure where arms and legs go and stuff because I can't figure that by myself.  :D

I got some interesting results even if I keep fixing stray pixels all the time.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2015, 11:24:30 am »

This needs to be updated for 42. Definitely my favorite graphics pack.

Chojin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »

i truly agree.
Please update it to 0.42.x :-)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2015, 02:32:20 pm »

i truly agree.
Please update it to 0.42.x :-)
This needs to be updated for 42. Definitely my favorite graphics pack.
https://github.com/fricy/Obsidian/releases

Chojin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2015, 02:40:29 pm »

Awesome ! Thx :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18