Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 303503 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks like two-third of Obsidian users probably have TTF (TrueType Font) enabled and aren't getting to experience this beautiful text:

That cool font is like half the reason for using Obsidian.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a 12x16 tilesheet that could work well as the TWBT font for Obsidian:

Spoiler: "sheet" (click to show/hide)

Any opinions on this? Would this be a suitable replacement for the current TWBT font included with the GitHub version of Obsidian? I'm not too familiar with the TWBT stuff yet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Any opinions on this? Would this be a suitable replacement for the current TWBT font included with the GitHub version of Obsidian? I'm not too familiar with the TWBT stuff yet.
I find it really harsh on my eyes. It's all jagged and pointy, while Obsidian font is nice and smooth.

Some of it may be inevitable with a narrow font, but notice "S" and "t" have sharp tails that Obsidian lacks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:42:38 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it really harsh on my eyes. It's all jagged and pointy, while Obsidian font is nice and smooth.

Some of it may be inevitable with a narrow font, but notice "S" and "t" have sharp tails that Obsidian lacks.

I had been thinking that anti-aliasing is bad, but maybe some mild anti-aliasing would be okay. I see now that the current TWBT font uses just a small bit of anti-aliasing. Just a little anti-aliasing makes it look much less harsh:

Spoiler: "non-animated version" (click to show/hide)

I've also edited it to make it match Obsidian a bit better. It's not perfect, but maybe it's good enough to replace the current TWBT font:

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if AA makes a significant difference, but both look better than the original "harsh" one. It could be hurting if it's making thin lines thinner.

The color scheme happens to be different between the feelings screenshots, but I can still see it's been improved shape-wise.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:46:58 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if AA makes a significant difference, but both look better than the original "harsh" one. It could be hurting if it's making thin lines thinner.

The color scheme happens to be different between the feelings screenshots, but I can still see it's been improved shape-wise.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, most the shapes were adjusted a lot from your suggestions to make them stay more true to Obsidian. And I found lots of problems while checking through them all. The anti-aliasing was just an afterthought and was very-hastily added in with a couple of filters. Yes, the anti-aliasing is hurting some parts by making them too thin, like the lowercase "t". I'm not sure if I like anti-aliasing or not yet, but that "t" will be adjusted it stays in.

The color change was unintentional. The first one was installed into vanilla DF v0.43.03, but the second one it was installed into the Obsidian graphics pack with TWBT in fricy's MacNewbie pack for DF v40. I didn't notice they were different colors before, but the Obsidian colors seem to look better. The dark blue in vanilla blends in with the black too much.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe it's good enough now.

Spoiler: "tilesheet" (click to show/hide)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Maybe it's good enough now.
Tried it in game. Commas look a bit thick, but other than that I think it's beautiful. Periods maybe a bit, as well.

I'll probably start using if I'm ever on a version with DF Hack updated.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tried it in game. Commas look a bit thick, but other than that I think it's beautiful. Periods maybe a bit, as well.

Thanks for all the help. I've been messing with Mayday the past few days and thought I should upload this one before I forget.

ivanzypher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »

Will this work with vanilla DF 43.05 if I merge the folders into the DF directory structure?

Bishop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:53 pm »

Will this work with vanilla DF 43.05 if I merge the folders into the DF directory structure?

Works on my Linux system.
Just follow the installation steps from the DF wiki.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:47:08 pm by Bishop »
- The Capybara of Dwarf Fortress

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

I was inspired by Meph's tileset to continue my work on the 32x32 Obsidian successor with TWBT (working name: Granite).

Deciphering the gobbledygook of code with little to no direction online is what stopped my initial progress. Now that I have Meph's tileset to use as a (very comprehensive) example/template I can finally continue the work without going insane. Progress will still be slow, but below are what I have so far. It may still change significantly as I explore what tiles can and can't be replaced with TWBT, as well as the new TWBT Next features.

Mountain biome snowy brookside in spring with patches of ice:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Temperate marsh with dense reed beds along a flowing brook:
Savannah bordering a temperate forest with bamboo thickets:
Cavern (not yet fully re-tiled)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:53:20 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the help. I've been messing with Mayday the past few days and thought I should upload this one before I forget.

Thank you for this. :) This will come in handy. I modified the old Obsidian font for kerning as well as centering, since the tiles back then were square, hence the discrepancy with the actual Dalelands font.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:35:51 pm by Obsidian Soul »

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was inspired by Meph's tileset to continue my work on the 32x32 Obsidian successor with TWBT (working name: Granite).

Deciphering the gobbledygook of code with little to no direction online is what stopped my initial progress. Now that I have Meph's tileset to use as a (very comprehensive) example/template I can finally continue the work without going insane. Progress will still be slow, but below are what I have so far. It may still change significantly as I explore what tiles can and can't be replaced with TWBT, as well as the new TWBT Next features.

Mountain biome snowy brookside in spring with patches of ice:
Temperate marsh with dense reed beds along a flowing brook:
Savannah bordering a temperate forest with bamboo thickets:
Cavern (not yet fully re-tiled)
Woah, this looks really good.  It's nice to see others take interest in larger tile-sets, playing with the default ascii is great but sometimes tinkering with other stuff can give the game a different feel.  Keep up the good work.  :)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ptw... I really enjoyed your obsidian 16x16 tile set in my earlier days in DF... I'd like to see what you can produce in 32x32.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18