Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304289 times)

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just tried this one out; and I've stuck with Phoebus for quite a long time now...and this graphics set really is the first one that actually made me think of switching over. 

It still lacks some of the refinements that make Phoebus really great (like that configuration utility), but I love the artistic style and how pretty it is; the colors and style feel more consistent and unified in this theme. 

You've done great work here, Obsidian.  I'd love to see what you do with this going forward.  Are you considering changing/improving some of the unit tilesets?  (animals, creatures, etc.)   

In fact, the only thing that I feel this really lacks compared to phoebus is the stars on the ore textures;  that is so useful for quick identification of ore veins when digging. 
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

Thank you. :)

Regarding the ores, I actually specifically retained that look since I found it immensely useful too. Rock that contain metal ores do still have "star"-like bits in them (one or two, depending on how rich the deposit is, same as in Phoebus) that give the overall impression of glinting metal once they receive the color of their respective metals (silver, gold, copper, etc.) However, unlike Phoebus', they aren't arranged regularly and centered. They are staggered to give a more "organic" appearance to bare rock walls. Same with the gem deposits, which also have a somewhat randomly arranged but still sized according to how rich the deposit is, with tetrahedral "crystals".

If it's not showing up for you (and if you're using LNP) try setting graphics back to default then back to Obsidian again, that might fix it. Tiles don't sometimes apply correctly in my experience, if you're switching between two sets directly which changed different tiles.

And yes, I plan to do all the animals and creatures as well (I've already done it for some, IIRC eagles, ravens, keas, and albatrosses), but I'm putting it off for now until the next version of the main client is here. I also still need to complete the goblin, kobold, and elf tiles as well. But again, next version. I'm already worried about how the multi-tile trees will affect the existing graphics sets. :/

As for Pheobus' ulilities, I can't code, LOL, so I'm afraid that won't be happening ever. :P Anyway, thanks again.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hands down my new favorite tileset.  Outstanding work!

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »

Just about every screen that annoyed me before in some of the other tile sets I've used is eye candy with this set.  I'm really amazed at how well the different screens flow together - even during world creation.  I really love the font you've chose for the text and numbers.

This whole set reminds me of my first experience with listening to Dark Side of the Moon in sync with Wizard of Oz.  The record repeated two and half times, but the music still fit each spot in the movie perfectly.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:00:09 pm by Clatch »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

Thank you both. :) And re:Wizard of Oz, lol, I read about that in Cracked. Haven't tried it though.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:06 am »

Thank you both. :) And re:Wizard of Oz, lol, I read about that in Cracked. Haven't tried it though.

Well that was years ago with a cassette deck and a VCR.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXvVUg-VAE How times have changed. :P

Seluin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2013, 12:06:53 pm »

I love the look of this set, but for some reason I can't get the dwarves to show up properly like I see in the screenshots. They all show up grey and hard to distinguish from the background. Did I install incorrectly? :/
I am having so much Fun.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2013, 05:03:47 am »

I love the look of this set, but for some reason I can't get the dwarves to show up properly like I see in the screenshots. They all show up grey and hard to distinguish from the background. Did I install incorrectly? :/

Hey Seluin, sorry for the late reply. Can you post a screenshot? Are the dwarves actually my dwarves or the default ASCII ones? i.e. Are they smiley face icons?

If so, try this: go to you Dwarf Fortress install folder, find the folder data then save then the folder name of your current savegame (e.g. region1). Open it and you should see that each individual savegame folder actually have their own raw folders , each with a folder for graphics and objects. Overwrite these two with the folders from my own graphics set (BACK THEM UP FIRST), and see if it helps.

Also check the init folder in the main install directory and find the file init.txt. Open it in a text editor and make sure that it's [GRAPHICS:YES] not [GRAPHICS:NO].

If that doesn't work, try using the LazyNewbPack (Or MNP if you're on Mac) linked in the first page of this thread and activate my graphics set from its choices instead of manually patching it. LNP and MNP automatically updates the graphics for the savegames as well.

Also Clatch, I just watched the entire thing. And yep, it's kind of eerie how they all match up so well, heh. Even the lyrics sometimes describe what they are actually doing onscreen.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 04:22:51 pm »

I tried this out, and what looked odd to me was that natural walls seamlessly tile vertically, but not horizontally. Another thing that's odd is the default black tile for open cavern space looks kind of like a floor.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

Which wall? Because as far as I know, they do tile horizontally as well, though given that I opted for a non-symmetrical details on each natural wall tile, they will unavoidably appear to be "patterns" in large enough agreggations.

And hmmm. Yeah the open cavern space does appear to be the same tile as grass, though very dark. I didn't notice that before. I'll fix it on the next release of the client.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2013, 11:02:49 am »

I love this.  I always experiment with new sets, and I found your through LNP.  It is my new favorite now!  Also, I love your trade depot and entry way set up.  Very pretty and practical.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23:54 am »

I love this.  I always experiment with new sets, and I found your through LNP.  It is my new favorite now!  Also, I love your trade depot and entry way set up.  Very pretty and practical.

Thank you. :) And yep my gates (especially the one in the circular fortress, which is actually underground) haven't failed me yet. Sieges don't even usually get past the first lock before most of them are either dead or captured in cage traps. It has the added advantage of letting wagons in, keeping them safe, and continuing trading even during sieges.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome tileset...

... But why the two penises in that image? I can't un-see them.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »

Awesome tileset...

... But why the two penises in that image? I can't un-see them.

LOL, those were supposed to be two dead trees beside a river starting overflow with blood. I used the same branching pattern tipped with differently colored columns (usually olivine) to depict trees in my catacombs.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2014, 03:40:58 pm »

LOL, those were supposed to be two dead trees beside a river starting overflow with blood. I used the same branching pattern tipped with differently colored columns (usually olivine) to depict trees in my catacombs.
I meant the two chunks of wall just at each side of the title, but damn :o

Anyways, great tileset. I've been using it lately!
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18