Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304454 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

You may be interested in the new Text will be Text plugin, which allows you to set up a separate tileset for text to the rest of the tiles.  As of version 2.01 (2014-06-04), it also allows you to add an arbitrary number of additional tilesets, tiles from which can be set to override specific items or building tiles.  This functionally implements eternal suggestion #4 for full graphics support. 

I'm going to include this in the Starter Pack, and it would be great to have a 'pure text' version of your tileset that can be dropped in.  Most of the letters are already clear, but there's a few things like the quality symbols and any changed letters, numbers, and punctuation which are hopefully easy to include in a pure text tileset, and would make things a lot easier to read in cases where truetype doesn't work or has been disabled. 

Any further stuff like overrides would be awesome, but given the rate of updates (including recently a demo of allowing different tile width for the menu) you might not want to invest too much time just yet - but don't let anyone stop you if it look fun!  It's also probably a good way to deal with the whole walls-as-leaves thing that's going to come up in the new version, though that's still not so bad as the cursor/stairs/bins/'x' mixture. 

Please don't feel any pressure - I just thought it worth sharing with the people who have done the work to make pretty graphics happen already  :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

You may be interested in the new Text will be Text plugin, which allows you to set up a separate tileset for text to the rest of the tiles.  As of version 2.01 (2014-06-04), it also allows you to add an arbitrary number of additional tilesets, tiles from which can be set to override specific items or building tiles.  This functionally implements eternal suggestion #4 for full graphics support. 

I'm going to include this in the Starter Pack, and it would be great to have a 'pure text' version of your tileset that can be dropped in.  Most of the letters are already clear, but there's a few things like the quality symbols and any changed letters, numbers, and punctuation which are hopefully easy to include in a pure text tileset, and would make things a lot easier to read in cases where truetype doesn't work or has been disabled. 

Any further stuff like overrides would be awesome, but given the rate of updates (including recently a demo of allowing different tile width for the menu) you might not want to invest too much time just yet - but don't let anyone stop you if it look fun!  It's also probably a good way to deal with the whole walls-as-leaves thing that's going to come up in the new version, though that's still not so bad as the cursor/stairs/bins/'x' mixture. 

Please don't feel any pressure - I just thought it worth sharing with the people who have done the work to make pretty graphics happen already  :D

Wow! Ok, I'm *very* interested. :D Will read up on it and see if I can put together a pack that actually uses unique tiles. Might take a while, as I haven't touched it in a long time (haven't played DF for a bit). And I'm not very good at the coding part.

Thank you. And thanks to Meph as well who also gave me a heads up on it. Will see what I can do, but no promises.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139579

See also the full example here.

Edit@fricy:  yes, yes I did.  Small mobile screens...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:29:12 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

Well I don't think I've said this yet, but your graphics set is the best in my opinion.  I am highly looking forward to the DF 2014 version whenever it may come.  (especially should it come with the text bit)

Though out of a point of curiosity, do you plan to release a higher resolution version of the tileset at any point in the future? 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I don't think I've said this yet, but your graphics set is the best in my opinion.  I am highly looking forward to the DF 2014 version whenever it may come.  (especially should it come with the text bit)

Though out of a point of curiosity, do you plan to release a higher resolution version of the tileset at any point in the future?

Thank you. :) It's still the usual chaos after a release though, and I'm afraid I can't make a new version yet until the dust settles. I'm really not very good at coding, so I'd be lost without some of the more established mods paving the way for me. Which tiles need to be changed, which needs new tiles, new raws, etc. Not to mention the essentials haven't yet been updated of courser - the LNPs, dfhack, Dwarf Therapist, the sound pack, etc. and the bugs that have yet to be squashed.

As for higher res, I dunno. Does it still affect the zoom? I'd like to, but when I tried before I could not zoom in as close as I wanted to.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which tiles need to be changed, which needs new tiles, new raws, etc

Not too much that has changed actually.

There are leaves (tile#249, #059-semicolon, and #172-¼), branches/trunks ("wall" and "river" tiles as well as the animaltrap/low mountain symbol #127 and capital 'O' #79). They can all be changed in d_init.txt
#15 or #42 (not too sure) is used for a few more things (armies moving on the quick travel map in adventure mode, and stuff like chestnuts and seed pods on trees), and #5 is used as flower symbol.

As long as the leaves and flowers look reasonably leave- and flower-like respectively you don't need to do much updating.
I don't know how much you changed, but the only raw file you can't reuse from your 34.11 release is plants.txt or whatever it's called. Otherwise you just have to edit d_init.txt and you should be done.

Oh and all the tree tiles are now only used on the maps.

CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile

Thank you. :) It's still the usual chaos after a release though, and I'm afraid I can't make a new version yet until the dust settles. I'm really not very good at coding, so I'd be lost without some of the more established mods paving the way for me. Which tiles need to be changed, which needs new tiles, new raws, etc. Not to mention the essentials haven't yet been updated of courser - the LNPs, dfhack, Dwarf Therapist, the sound pack, etc. and the bugs that have yet to be squashed.

As for higher res, I dunno. Does it still affect the zoom? I'd like to, but when I tried before I could not zoom in as close as I wanted to.

Well as-is I've been running obsidian as usual while doing testing on my Orichalcum mod for the new release.  (as-is, pre bugfixes and the like of course.)  So I know everything is working - and as-is what I've seen is most of the tiles are okay, just grasses / stone floors aren't appearing varied like they used to, tree trunks are hard to see defined from everything else, (they just blend in with the landscape too much IMO) and flowers could look more flowery, though I'm not sure that will be a real issue as they still appear decently.

As for high res, well it does, but I'm using a rather high res monitor so a high-res tileset would be nice.  I think Meph is on the right track with his decision of 24x24/48x48, but that's me.  I just don't like the style, which Obsidian wins hands-down for DF on. 

Oh, and I guess I should have clarified before on my question on the "text bit", will the next, or a future release of obsidian support the Text Will Be Text add-on? 

Sorry for all the questions ^^'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:16:00 am by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I was using this I generated 60 worlds and no goblins were in any of them. Might need to investigate that.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

That's a vanilla problem mangul.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a 40.03 version yet?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which tiles need to be changed, which needs new tiles, new raws, etc

Not too much that has changed actually.

There are leaves (tile#249, #059-semicolon, and #172-¼), branches/trunks ("wall" and "river" tiles as well as the animaltrap/low mountain symbol #127 and capital 'O' #79). They can all be changed in d_init.txt
#15 or #42 (not too sure) is used for a few more things (armies moving on the quick travel map in adventure mode, and stuff like chestnuts and seed pods on trees), and #5 is used as flower symbol.

As long as the leaves and flowers look reasonably leave- and flower-like respectively you don't need to do much updating.
I don't know how much you changed, but the only raw file you can't reuse from your 34.11 release is plants.txt or whatever it's called. Otherwise you just have to edit d_init.txt and you should be done.

Oh and all the tree tiles are now only used on the maps.

Thank you! :) But hmmm. A big part of my set is the grass and that actually requires some changes to plants.txt. Might have some problems with that.

And sorry folks, no 40.xx yet. It will take me a while to slog through it. I also want to make use of the Text Will Be Text plugin but I don't know if that's supported yet (I don't know if it supports BG/FG as well). Too many things unstable right now and I haven't played DF for a long while. :/ A 24x24 version will have to wait even longer, LOL. I literally have to relearn everything at the moment.

EDIT: And oh yeah, the goblin error is not mine. Either you disabled invasions, spawned on unconnected islands, or it's a bug in 40.xx

Hm. I think it might be better if I made my graphics set higher res then scale down if needed, as Meph's thread  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140794.0 implies it can be done.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:23:37 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I think it might be better if I made my graphics set higher res then scale down if needed, as Meph's thread  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140794.0 implies it can be done.
That being said, I havent managed to find a 64x graphic thats still recognizeable when scaled down to 16x.  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trudat. :[ Oh well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

But with Twbt, you can play with 32x or 48x even on smaller screens. There is no 80-tile hardcoded limit. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18