Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 303513 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 11:46:36 am »

The first one is nice, however you should do something with those "super waves", they look almost like walls. Common sand looks really nice.

Heh, you use my pigs? Nice. Btw I plan to include Obsidian as an option for Genesis. God damn it, supporting 4 different graphic versions will definitely make my updates harder :D. But it's totally worth it.

P.S. I liked single-shaded land more, could you post a version with commas and the like for those who play without varied ground tiles?

P.P.S. You could just make sand to look the same as land, with some grains or something. It's not used for the water because water is 1-7 tiles with waves on them, right?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:52:28 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »

Your pigs are awesums. You're credited up top. Remember this is still largely Phoebus' tileset in terms of the animals and stuff as I haven't gotten around to them yet (and I probably won't need to change them much, if at all). And I'd be honored to have my tileset included in your mod. :D

I've changed the "superwaves" (I assume you meant the swirly one) with something more subtle. They were originally like that because I focused on them being used for wave breakers, thus the Japanese tsunami painting vibe to them. But yeah, they're more commonly seen as normal ground sand variation. I'm currently using the "superwaves" as walls instead.

I'll also try using a grainier ground texture, but I don't think that's the problem. The main thing that sets them apart so garishly from normal ground, imo, is the color. Sand is white, bright yellow, or black.

And yes, I placed waves beneath 1-7 (including 8 and 9 for consistency really), but I'd like to keep the waves for people who don't use water depth. Incidentally, I have also adjusted them to shade lighter for shallower and darker for deeper, respectively.

For commas and stuff, will do, but I wouldn't know how to change it in the raws so they will use them. And not now though. In the future when I will start posting the other versions (square and diagonal walls, etc.).

I'll be posting a new version today with improvements from the feedback as well as other tweaks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:08:15 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »

well I have just finished added your version to Regen but I have to run off and do some work before I can fully test it. Like Deon I think for the water the first one is nice

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 8/6/2013 - v0.6 Alpha)
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »

Heh thanks for the usage guys. Apologies in advance as I'll be updating this pretty heavily in the next few days as the feedback come in. So it might be best not to bundle it in for now and wait until it stabilizes somewhat. :P

Anyway speaking of updates. New version up in OP.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »

So... sexy!
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »

So... sexy!
^ I am for that.

Currently doing a test run with your latest version, looks very nice

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:17 am »

You might have overlooked the PM I did send you, so I would like to ask here again: Might I use this in my mod, as an optional set, and might I port a few tiles (mostly the walls) to a tileset of my own?

I am more or less done with the tileset per se, I still have to do the raws and the patched exe for mine.

Your tileset is really amazing. I actually do like it more then Phoebus, which is my usual go-to tileset. The new Masterwork tileset, which I will use your walls and a few rock tiles, will even be the default for masterwork. :)  All credit given, of course. :)

And then I have to redo about 200 custom buildings... lol. Or at least improve them, and see whats wrong. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:03 am »

Oop sorry, Meph, I keep missing the PMs. >.< I just read it now. And yes of course you can use it however you want. I'm really honored you modders are bundling this in.

I got distracted by real life stuff and building an even more ambitious fortress so I can make better screenshots of my set, LOL. I love making geometric floor patterns.

I've found out one problem though. The water depth variation in brightness makes the numbers too dark in the trading screen. It's  minor (as I can check the values by pressing F12), so I'll address it in future update when I complete the tilesets of the other races as well. I'm content with how everything looks so far though.

And thanks Toxicshadow and Hugo. :D Great Success? LOL
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:48:10 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

Thank you.

You might as well test your upright spear/spike, because I assume it is broken. It uses inverted tiles ingame, similar to the barrel in the still. Thats why the background for it is to odd.

The background engravings I talked about for the floorbackground of items is really only important for custom buildings. Masterwork+OrcFortress+KoboldCamp have about 300 of those, so it seemed important to me. Makes sense that vanilla df does not need it.

I would love to add it now, but I cant acces my GUI, the source code is at home, and I dont have VB on my netbook. Will take 3 months till I am back home... mh...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:34 am »

The upright spear traps have not been changed from Phoebus' originals. It uses the '|' character, white on black. I can probably make it more spearlike like I've done with the parentheses (bows) and slashes (swords/projectiles), since it's not used much in text. But I can't do anything about the colors. And yep, same problem with the barrels when I first started to make this, because the one used by Phoebus has inverted colors for some reason (i.e. it's the background color that shows material, rather than the fg color). I have no idea if that's hardcoded in the game itselfor simply his preference, but I'm aiming to tweak it as well so that I can still use the floor tiles on it.

On the floor engravings. Ah. I was wondering why you needed it. But here's a workaround: I've uploaded the main tileset without the backgrounds, so you can add whatever fits your mod best. It might be useful for others as well who use different floor patterns.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:58:25 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:45 am »

I have no idea if that's hardcoded in the game
Yes it is.

The preview you did send me did not have the transparent spear/spike, and neither does the version you just uploaded. I am talking about the tile between the O and o. As far as I know i will show inverted in the game, so your spike is visible when the spike is retreated, and it is invisible when the spike should be shown. Phoebus uses complete transparency for the spike, while you use solid white color.
Edit: Ok, now I am unsure myself about this. I think I was talking about the channel designation, in that case its perfectly fine. Maybe I confused myself.

I dont think its a big problem.

And I laughed when I saw your (). I changed them to bows as well ^^ And with arrows I did not mean the ballista heads, I meant the three arrows next to the trees, second line. They are only used for indicator (pointing to a dwarf) and showing the direction of the bridge. The christmas-tree next to them is actually the arrow up. ;) I did change all of them as well.

What exactly are your {} ? Worms? Rope-Ends?

I also saw you flapping wings-bird question. You can do it for all vermin birds, mammals, fish, insects and the like. Use alt-tiles with inverted color on them. See the Ironhand tileset vermin, it transforms a spider into a lobster using this transparency trick, or the phoebus prepared meals. It changes a few dots into twice as many dots. You can change the wingspan, or leg-position, or the rat-tail, or the fin/bubble position on fish. Not quite as fancy as you wanted to do it, for every creature in the sprites, but at least any vermin would do it.

You could also do wavy grass this way. :) And trees that shake in the wind/move their leaves.

From personal experience this can hurt the eyes after a while. I made a writhing floor of maggots once for the third cavern. ^^

Tile 245 and 0 are free btw, 0 is only used in the intro video if I am not mistaken. '-' and '|' could also look like your sword/arrow tile, because it is used for flying ammo just as your '/' and '\'. Tile 10 should be free as well, I have never seen it ingame... someone mentioned powered millstones??

Before your walls start, there is one tile with a little white dot on it. Below the cactus. What is it?

'&' is dead demons. ;)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:33:08 am by Meph »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 10:56:06 am »

Oooh wavy grass. But I think there's a problem with that - the backgrounds are black for the fg and bg to work correctly, if I'm not mistaken. It might still be useful for things which take up almost all the tile space, like trees. Though, yeah, I'm guessing there's no way to adjust how fast they blink.

I've also actually adopted the transparency trick. My prepared meals are similar, in that they look like a random speck as part of the undiscovered walls, but they become a pot filled with stew thingies when used for food.

{ and } are just some random character I found in the character map that looks as close as possible to worms/eels. without being too much like worms/eels (if that makes sense).

For the spikes, you mean the dig designation? Thanks. I wasn't aware it was used for spear traps as well, as I haven't been building menacing spear traps for a while (too much micromanagement to bait them in, though they were great at skewering goblins LOL). I'll fix those next update.

EIDT: Hm, so it's not a problem after all? I'll double check by making spear traps. As I said earlier, I thought it was the '|' tile that is being used by spear traps?

For '-' and '|', noted. I'll also change the & to show dead demons next update. As for the free tiles, I don't know what to use them for. :/ More plant variation perhaps?

The tile before wall start is a young cactus. And now that you mention it, I realize that that was the withered plant tile in the original, LOL. I'll fix that as well, maybe using another of the free tiles for the withered tile instead.

I've also noted that the metal door (216) isn't being used. Instead the game uses the tile for bars (240). Can that be fixed?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this. :) Very useful.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:02:30 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:31 am »

216 isnt used? Good to know. :) More power to me, I could put a Drow tile into it. :)

Though, yeah, I'm guessing there's no way to adjust how fast they blink.
Yes, there is.
   [GRASS_TILES:w1:x1:y1:z1] w&x are grass, y&z is dead grass.
   [ALT_GRASS_TILES:w2:x2:y2:z2] w&x are alt-tile, y&z is dead grass.
   [ALT_PERIOD:200:100] => ingame ticks. 200 for first tile, then 100 for second tile.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Plant_token#Grass_Tokens

Sadly, there is no alt_color, so you actually need two tiles for this. Damn. I was sure it would work.

Creatures have a lot more:
CASTE_ALTTILE
CASTE_COLOR
COLOR.
CASTE_GLOWCOLOR
GLOWCOLOR.
CASTE_GLOWTILEGLOWTILE
CASTE_SOLDIER_ALTTILESOLDIER_ALTTILE
CASTE_SOLDIER_TILE

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 11:58:55 am »

And thanks Toxicshadow and Hugo. :D Great Success? LOL

Great Success! How Much? lol jk HIGH FIVE!

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »

Speaking of the successes of greatness, my forays into the scary world of "advanced" raws modding reports Great Success! Modding plants is fun. :D

I've now made the scrub desert look more desert-like by changing the graphics used for pebble plants and baby toes succulents into the same ones I use for small cave mushrooms and adjusting colors accordingly.

Upper right: scrub desert; lower left: woodland

I've also restored the withered plant tile; moved the young saguaro/bloodthorn tile to tile 244; used tile 10 for plump helmets, to separate them from dimple cups; switched around the quarry bush tile; and lastly, I've changed '{' and '}' yet again to be more worm-like but also as the tile for pigtails.  I figured crop tiles would be one of the most commonly seen plants, so I might as well give them some lurv.

Sorry my farmers are nooblets

I'm excited to do go over the rest of the plants.

EDIT: Also adjusted the opacity of the numbers themselves so that the darkness/brightness of their water background doesn't affect their readability.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:32:42 pm by Obsidian Soul »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18