Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 303525 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

New update up. Pretty major changes. I've used up most of the free tiles by making grass tiles separate from the periods, commas, and apostrophes used by rocky ground tiles.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

you like to make my job of including this in my Mod don't you :P

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL, as I said, it's probably best to wait a bit until it's stable somewhat. :P I'm heavily tinkering with it, and I'm really happy with the grass results.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

haha I'm just adapting, adding a few functions into my program to generate filters for me. Didn't take to long to make one for the new grasses, and other little updates are easy to fix.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Weee, this new grass tile is a bit too busy but it blends well with sand and looks really nice :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should've seen it when I still allowed color variation for different grass species, LOL.  Trying to balance it out, particularly the deserts. But some biomes simply naturally look like quilt patchworks it seems, and I'm still not very good at predicting the color outcomes of color changes in the raws. Also Hugo, just ask, I'll tell you which files have been changed exactly. :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Did you manage to do the moving grass animation, using 2 tiles and alt_tile?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

That's what I did with the sand:

It looks almost like a ground, just with some pebbles and lighter. It blends better, and it's not an issue with water since my water uses 1-7 tiles.
It is a bit offtopic though, I like your sand a lot :D.

May I use your 1-7 tiles for water with waves in Fallout mod?

Did you manage to do the moving grass animation, using 2 tiles and alt_tile?
It looks great, you should merge that in :).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:30:47 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

So he did? I will have a look for sure, and try to add this into Masterwork. Dont know about free tiles though. But I am really curious. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, I like it, but when I tried it on my own, they simply still don't mesh in that well. Even after several hours of tinkering. :[ I've tried the tile you used, several modified versions, as well as even replacing the sand tile with the exact same tile I use for rock/soil, and they still stick out like a sore thumb. I think it's because the sand I encounter are white, bright yellow, black or red. I've never really seen brown sand. :/

On the other hand, I've now standardized the colors and tiles used for pebble plants and baby finger succulents so they now show up having the same brown color as needle grass, at the cost of some of their tiles looking like grass. But that's alright, as long as it lets scrub deserts look like scrub deserts and savannahs look like savannahs. I hate how the game inserts random lush green "shrubs" into my deserts though. Or how dead plants seem to become a uniform ugly brown :[

And yes, you can use any of my tiles, heh.

Meph, yep. The wormy tendrils writhe around nicely. I used my modified tiles for { and } (also used for pigtails, though pigtails don't move of course). I've since replaced their graphics with something thinner in my current version though (pic below). As they looked too massive previously to be something cows graze on.

I also tried it on Meadow grass but it didn't look as good as I thought it would. Code snippet using the current tileset below:
[PLANT:MEADOW-GRASS]
   [ALL_NAMES:meadow-grass]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
   [BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
   [GRASS]
   [GRASS_TILES:0:216:0:216]
   [ALT_GRASS_TILES:216:0:216:0] Alt-Alt: 0:216:0:216
   [ALT_PERIOD:200:100]

[GRASS_COLORS:2:0:1:2:0:1:7:6:1:7:6:0]
   [WET]
   [DRY]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [BIOME:TUNDRA]
   [BIOME:TAIGA]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:13:39 am by Obsidian Soul »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

My grass moves under wind too, I used your 2 grass tiles in Fallout mod, and it looks like grass is moving under the wind. It looks great!

About green plants in desert, you have to mod to fix that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL, Okay, I had to try out adding it to all the grasses which use tile 0 and 216 only (including cave moss and floor fungi). And you're right, they do look very nice in large open areas of grass. If you stop focusing on an individual tile, it looks exactly like they're rustling in the wind. Adds a bit of pseudo animation to the game. I guess my mistake previously was doing it to only one species.

But I think it still needs a bit of getting used to. I keep expecting something terrifying and hungry that's going to eat my dorfs every time I catch movement in the corner of my eye. LOL

Anyway, I think I'll keep it. ^^ Great success?

Also regarding having to mod the desert random plants, how difficult is it? If it requires real coding, I guess I'll have to pass. :[
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:50:36 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also for anyone who downloaded the current version and want to try out the moving grasses for yourself, simply go to the raw/objects folder. Find the text file plant_grasses.txt and replace the contents with the following. Then save. Enjoy.

(Also, I suggest changing the FPS cap to 50).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And for anyone who wants the current main tileset version. It's below. Simply save the image and rename it to Obsidian_16x16.png

Then go to the data/art folder and overwrite the current file there.

It will probably be a while before I do another release. I'm doing them too quickly. ^^ Need to save up the changes.

(EDIT: Updated above image. Made a few small aesthetic tweaks to saplings, "grassy" shrubs, "herbs", and palms)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:30:54 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

I think I'll wait until your next update before I do any patching of my own ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Your spriting skills are amazing. Also I think I should not use "moving under wind" effect for caverns :D.

Regarding dead plants becoming "ugly brown", there's DEAD_SHRUB_TILE and DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR.

Also regarding having to mod the desert random plants, how difficult is it? If it requires real coding, I guess I'll have to pass. :[
There's no coding required to mod DF whatsoever, it's just a matter of changing a few text tokens.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:57:29 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18