Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 304512 times)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2014, 12:31:45 am »

Cool
PTW

OT: I haven't seen your tileset before. It's frikkin' gorgeous! :D

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:29 am »

...My soul is better than yours!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2014, 12:42:06 am »

...My soul is better than yours!

....Adamantine? D:

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2014, 09:46:13 am »

Hi all again. Sorry for the silence. First off, thank you very much to the guys who updated the set for the newer builds. I couldn't do so myself because I'm currently concentrating on an entirely different kind of update. A new set made specifically for TWBT. It's 32x32 for the graphics (though 16x16 for the main tileset still), so I have to entirely remake everything. I'll still aim for that medieval look though. Hope I can pull it off.

Here's a preview of the upgraded peasant dorf:

Oh and if I recall correctly, the only raws I changed (not counting the Phoebus raws), are the plants, grasses, and aquifer files. Not sure though, it's been so long.

Great! Can't wait to see more of it!

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2014, 02:14:36 am »

Some more. Just gauging how the major sentient creatures should look like. I shortened the dwarves a bit to make them more distinguishable from humans. Left to right: dwarf, kobold, goblin, elf, human, troll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:16:35 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2014, 05:34:53 am »

Some more. Just gauging how the major sentient creatures should look like. I shortened the dwarves a bit to make them more distinguishable from humans. Left to right: dwarf, kobold, goblin, elf, human, troll:

Neat :)

The troll should probably be a bit more green-ish, the sprite looks a bit like a Yeti. At least thats what I wanted to say, based on the sprites from Phoebus that I'm used to, he uses green trolls. Checked the raws, its actually grey and white for troll fur. The more you know, mh.  :o

So... yeah, your troll is right on track. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2014, 06:40:26 am »

I'm currently concentrating on an entirely different kind of update. A new set made specifically for TWBT. It's 32x32 for the graphics (though 16x16 for the main tileset still), so I have to entirely remake everything. I'll still aim for that medieval look though. Hope I can pull it off.
Super neat!
Just an FYI: There's a bug in twbt with the animated grasses, so my advice is to not use tile 0 until it's fixed. Any tips where I could remap tile 0? I'm not sure about 39, 44, 46...

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:18 am »

@Meph The trolls used by Phoebus is by sphr, IIRC. And yep they're actually white and gray and furry. I've always imagined trolls to be something like giant killer sheep, since goblins actually shear them and use the hair for weaving most of their clothing. Yetis don't have horns or tusks so I think it'd be easy to tell them apart. And yeah, I'm basing the appearances on their actual descriptions and raws (hence red goblin eyes, yellow kobold eyes). Though I compromised for a bit with kobolds, since I do prefer the furry canine cutebold-look rather than the reptilian DnD kobold or the folkloric gremlinish kobold.

@fricy Hm. For the current (old) release? I don't really remember anymore, LOL. Honestly, I haven't played Dwarf Fortress for more than a year (entered a competition in the meantime), and still haven't played it yet. I'm focusing on completing the graphics before I delve into inserting them into the game. I've forgotten quite a lot about it. :[

But... since the old version doesn't need TWBT, it shouldn't require it yet. Hope it can be fixed though, and thanks for noting it.

With the one I'm working on however, I think moving a lot of things to overrides would free up a lot of tiles in the main tileset for the moving grass and other things. So that hopefully won't be a problem. It's exciting to think of what else they can be used for.

EDIT: On checking...
39 is used for demons, I think, not sure if implemented in game or been replaced by creature graphics, might be free;
44 is floor with engravings, so not free;
46 is used for twirling animation and for arrows in flight I think. I think that's hardcoded, so not free.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:20:12 am by Obsidian Soul »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2014, 07:46:12 am »

@fricy Hm. For the current (old) release? I don't really remember anymore, LOL. Honestly, I haven't played Dwarf Fortress for more than a year (entered a competition in the meantime), and still haven't played it yet. I'm focusing on completing the graphics before I delve into inserting them into the game. I've forgotten quite a lot about it. :[
No worries, I expected something like that, lol.
But... since the old version doesn't need TWBT, it shouldn't require it yet. Hope it can be fixed though, and thanks for noting it.
EDIT: On checking...
39 is used for demons, I think, not sure if implemented in game or been replaced by creature graphics, might be free;
Thx, I'll try to find some time to investigate if tile 39 is ok. It should only be a temp. fix anyway, bugfix should be easy once mifki can focus on dealing with some outstanding issues with the plugin.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2014, 07:51:06 am »

Could I ask you to make a few (~5) sprites for creatures that dont exist in vanilla DF, but in MasterworkDF ? I really like how they look, and if I use your twbt set once its done in the mod, it will look odd, because some civs don't fit the graphic style.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »

@fricy Yeah and I don't recall seeing "&" ingame ever. Thank you. :)

@Meph Sure. But it has to be afterwards heh. Still have hundreds of tiles to slog through ;D

And happy new year! :)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:50 am »

Progress:

row 1
dwarf, elf, human, quiver, ammo1, ammo2, necklace, earrings, swordsdwarf, armor rack, shield1, shield2, helm, woodpile, bars, backpack, cage1, cage2, bin2, bin1, tanned skin, crutches, instrument, slab, cabinet, ring
row 2
kobold, goblin, troll, archery target, anvil, quern, ash, barrel, bucket, master wrestler, armor, gloves, boots, pants, block, boulder, well, book2, book1, egg, cheese, web, coffin1, coffin2, chair, table

Note: barrel and bucket are taken from opengameart.org (CC-BY-SA) with minor modifications, since they fit almost perfectly as is. Two or more versions of the same things are also present, since I'm not sure which look better. Modified goblin and kobold heads a bit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:58:36 am by Obsidian Soul »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »

Ohh! These are some really nice graphics! I love how you made the shoes stand out by giving them some strong highlights. The designs are pretty nice as well, with a lot of contrast between them.

But if I could give one suggestion...there's a bit of style clashing here. Your characters have sharp 1-pixel outlines and conservative color usage, but some objects (like the target) look like you took larger images and downscaled them. If you're going to do that, I would suggest using nearest-neighbor interpolation to keep their sharpness. That, or posterize the colors of all of your graphics to unify them a bit better.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:01:53 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:08 pm »

But if I could give one suggestion...there's a bit of style clashing here. Your characters have sharp 1-pixel outlines and conservative color usage, but some objects (like the target) look like you took larger images and downscaled them. If you're going to do that, I would suggest using nearest-neighbor interpolation to keep their sharpness. That, or posterize the colors of all of your graphics to unify them a bit better.

Oooh. So that's what posterize does. :o The target isn't actually resized though, but since circle-select isn't hard-edged, it results in fuzzy borders. Colors probably won't matter since the game will change those anyway (and I don't know how to use palettes effectively :-[). But I'll try to sharpen the borders of everything. Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:15:42 pm by Obsidian Soul »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2015, 01:40:34 pm »

This is all looking fantastic.

I'm especially pleased that you're going for a larger resolution.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18