Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 303523 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

Would it help if all the textures for overrides and creatures were mashed into two giant tilesheets? Should I trim all the textures so there are as little empty/unused tiles as possible? Or is it okay if I leave the alternate animation tiles there (in case animation becomes possible), but not use them in the raws?

Yes, generally it's important not to have "empty" tiles. Obviously it will help not to include animation sprites too until they can actually be used. Do you know approximately how many distinct tiles (base tileset + overrides + creatures) you have/plan to have?

I think a feature I'd like more is if the creatures get their own -bg and -top textures. A lot of my creature tiles are quite small, and I worry they'd be invisible because of the static background requirement. Would that be possible or would it be too much for the code already?

Unfortunately there's just no [easy] way to intercept unit rendering, that's why this is not supported. Maybe I'll find some way, maybe not.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile

Yes, generally it's important not to have "empty" tiles. Obviously it will help not to include animation sprites too until they can actually be used. Do you know approximately how many distinct tiles (base tileset + overrides + creatures) you have/plan to have?

Hmk. I'll just bundle them in separate "extra" sheets included in the pack until they may be useful in the future.

As for the number of tiles, I don't know the actual number but ideally, everything that can be overridden. Some tiles are reused with just a change in the bg color (especially plants), but most will be unique. I'm even planning to have the directional wall-like tiles for unmined rock faces and river flows, though I'm not sure if that is even possible (though the override list seem to indicate it is). I'm completely rubbish at deciphering the raws, much less the code. I'm just an artist, which was why I gave up before. I'm already dreading having to organize everything and make sure the raws point to the right tiles.

Unfortunately there's just no [easy] way to intercept unit rendering, that's why this is not supported. Maybe I'll find some way, maybe not.

Oh. That's sad. :( Oh well, generic grass and floors for most of them then. Thanks for the replies.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:58:34 am by Obsidian Soul »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

As for the number of tiles, I don't know the actual number but ideally, everything that can be overridden. Some tiles are reused with just a change in the bg color (especially plants), but most will be unique. I'm even planning to have the directional wall-like tiles for unmined rock faces and river flows, though I'm not sure if that is even possible (though the override list seem to indicate it is). I'm completely rubbish at deciphering the raws, much less the code. I'm just an artist, which was why I gave up before. I'm already dreading having to organize everything and make sure the raws point to the right tiles.

You can use "probe" plugin/command to find out tile type if needed. You're interested in "tiletype: X" line, and then you can execute "lua ~df.tiletype[X]" with that number to get the tile type name that should be used for overrides.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can use "probe" plugin/command to find out tile type if needed. You're interested in "tiletype: X" line, and then you can execute "lua ~df.tiletype[X]" with that number to get the tile type name that should be used for overrides.

That just saved me a ton of time looking all over the forums for how to do that. Very much appeciated!  :D

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just added the raw names to probe's output as well (e.g. "StoneFloor3"), so you should be able to avoid the lua step in the next DFHack release.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't do anything but get more excited everytime I read the new posts here... It sounds like you are going for a kind of 45 angle to views so that it appears more like say an old school dragon warrior or final fantasy game?!?!  let us know when this gets close to say a late alpha/beta version...  I so want to try it!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just added the raw names to probe's output as well (e.g. "StoneFloor3"), so you should be able to avoid the lua step in the next DFHack release.

I'm using the windows LNP for testing for now (easier to update savegames on the fly). But I'll set up a new game folder with the fully updated dfhack and TWBT next since I'll have to test it anyway to see if the errors I'm getting is simply because of incompatibility with the dfhack versions. Thanks. :)

I can't do anything but get more excited everytime I read the new posts here... It sounds like you are going for a kind of 45 angle to views so that it appears more like say an old school dragon warrior or final fantasy game?!?!  let us know when this gets close to say a late alpha/beta version...  I so want to try it!

Oh if only.  :-\ Not isometric but just top down, since the game can't support anything else. But as close as I can make it to traditional jrpg aesthetics, yes.

Anyway, progress: impala, spider monkey, tapir, golden lion tamarin, blue peafowl, sloth bear, aardvark, chicken, dog, wolf, duck, alpaca, cat, cow, cavy, donkey, goat, goose, horse, mule, peafowl, turkey, llama, dromedary camel, bactrian camel, rabbit, pig.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:08:44 pm by Obsidian Soul »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

Oh if only.  :-\ Not isometric but just top down, since the game can't support anything else. But as close as I can make it to traditional jrpg aesthetics, yes.

Have you seen this? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg7390751#msg7390751 Currently it's just an experiment though and not in public TWBT release.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you seen this? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg7390751#msg7390751 Currently it's just an experiment though and not in public TWBT release.

:o Overlaps? Yes, please. LOL.

But too much to think about for now. I can modify this once that feature is fully functional and this tileset is finished. XD

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Oblique is what I was talking about... I'm old school I still remember getting excited over new atari games... the system not the developer lol... isometric was the only word I could remember, but I always loved the oblique view in Final Fantasy 1-6, dragon warrior 1-5, even the old school Ultima went from tile to oblique at one point.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Oblique is what I was talking about... I'm old school I still remember getting excited over new atari games... the system not the developer lol... isometric was the only word I could remember, but I always loved the oblique view in Final Fantasy 1-6, dragon warrior 1-5, even the old school Ultima went from tile to oblique at one point.

I'm a bit younger. The oldest FF game I've played was FF7 and FF Tactics. Didn't quite catch Ultima. :P

Progress. Sheep, water buffalo, caribou/reindeer, roc, bronze colossus, hydra, dragon

I'm keeping appearances as close as possible to how they are described in the raws, e.g. dark gnomes have teal skin and yellow eyes, hydra are red and gold and have 7 heads, dragons are wingless and green, etc. Shame they're not multitile yet, but I purposely made other animals relatively smaller so I could fill tiles for giant creatures and make them seem larger.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:40:53 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol Final Fantasy 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I could get that games tileset and figure out how to force it into DF... I'd be happy and could go ahead and die.... otherwise I will live forever and its all your faults...jk...

now someone is going to point me to a FFI mode from 10 years ago with a full tileset lol.

but yeah great work on the tileset.  I'll go back to watch mode lol.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol Final Fantasy 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I could get that games tileset and figure out how to force it into DF... I'd be happy and could go ahead and die.... otherwise I will live forever and its all your faults...jk...

now someone is going to point me to a FFI mode from 10 years ago with a full tileset lol.

but yeah great work on the tileset.  I'll go back to watch mode lol.

Yep something like that, though DF lacks transition tiles between two different ground cover, which makes it difficult to appear natural. My solution so far to that was to make all grasses be one color. Still not enough, but it helps reduce visual clutter.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pogress.

Bronze colossus, cyclops, giant, ettin, minotaur, hydra, dragon, roc (modified the dragon facing direction and the roc talons)

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Experiments with soil, smoothed, and engraved floors and walls. The floor might still be too dark. Though not sure if that's just because of the material.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18