Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!  (Read 303491 times)

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Graphics Set (Updated 24/7/2013 - v0.8) - Now with ANIMATED GRASS!
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »

Is there a 24x24 version of this or is it only 16x16?
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2018, 02:07:55 pm »

There is only a 16x version, but you can type "twbt tilesize 24 24" into dfhack while the game is running to get it a bit larger.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2022, 09:56:44 am »

Hi all. Here I am again, much older and still too stupid to mod DF code. LOL

I had another fey mood last year and during that time, I managed to accomplish quite a bit in terms of constructed buildings, soil and rock types, items, and creatures for the 32x "Granite" tileset. This is in addition to the already more or less complete plant graphics I did years before; and some polish to already completed item graphics. But given that I've completely forgotten how to mod them into the raws/TWBT, I lost interest again soon afterward. :(

Here's a preview of what I managed to accomplish thus far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm still broken over the fact that rock and soil tiles don't follow the same adjacency rules as walls and floors. So I opted for a somewhat isometric representation of rock/soil/tree layers. However, given that I could not test them ingame, I have no idea how they will actually look like.

That said, I did complete the 32x animal and creature sets that I started way back in 2017. And that's what I'm here to offer. Just in case anyone is interested.

These include all animals (including giant and animal men versions) rendered in a cohesive artstyle. All of them are accurate to their actual descriptions in the raws and/or their real life appearances. It also includes domesticated and war-trained tiles for animals which are currently able to be domesticated; and child tiles for those which have them. They are arranged alphabetically, not by biome.

I can't post raws here directly due to the character limit. You can see them at:
graphics_Granite_animals.txt : https://pastecode.io/s/4xfhqpgq
graphics_Granite_humanoids.txt : https://pastecode.io/s/kipmxdzq

Note that I'm not sure if the raws will even work with the current DF version. These were made using last year's raws. The tiles are also designed to have a transparent background (via TWBT). They might need tweaking for tilesets which do not support it.

Granite_animals.png

Granite_humanoids.png

I've also included tiles for forgotten beasts, titans, demons, and night creatures below. But these are randomized in-game. So in most cases they won't match in-game descriptions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I release these animal/humanoid tiles under CC-BY. You are free to use them in your own sets or modify them to your needs. But please credit me at https://www.artstation.com/obsidiansoul

This was a massive undertaking (these are all hand-made from scratch, literally pixel by pixel) and ate up a lot of my free time. Sadly, I'm a broke artist and I'm currently busy working (on a 3rd world salary). So I don't know when I'll be able to pick it up again. I still hope I can finish it before the Kitfox release.

Also, I once balked at doing this, but needs must. If you're swimming in money and won't miss a few bucks, you can donate to my PayPal here. This is completely optional, and you can still use my art with just the credit. :) Also, donate to bay12 of course.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:14:23 am by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2022, 04:12:56 pm »

That's beyond amazing, well done! :) Love the sandstone and glass/ice tiles.

The Steam DF version allows a lot more freedom when it comes to graphics, so if there are any questions, send me a message.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2022, 05:47:53 pm »

That's beyond amazing, well done! :) Love the sandstone and glass/ice tiles.

Thank you. :) I don't even know if it's possible to use them for specific material constructions. Haha. I remember seeing them in Masterwork raws a year ago though, so I figured they had to be.

The Steam DF version allows a lot more freedom when it comes to graphics, so if there are any questions, send me a message.

Is it moddable? And is it easier to edit the raws?
Does it support sprite transparency?
Animations? Male/female-specific sprites?
Do natural rock/soil walls/roots/branches have LR, UD, UR, UL, DL, DR, pillar, etc. adjacency now?
How much of the Masterwork and TWBT features got officially implemented?
I have so many questions, LOL.

But yeah, I literally have no idea what has been going on in DF, Kitfox or regular version. I haven't been following anything for a while now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:01:19 pm by Obsidian Soul »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2022, 06:41:34 pm »

Is it moddable? And is it easier to edit the raws?
Does it support sprite transparency?
Animations? Male/female-specific sprites?
Do natural rock/soil walls/roots/branches have LR, UD, UR, UL, DL, DR, pillar, etc. adjacency now?
How much of the Masterwork and TWBT features got officially implemented?

Moddable; yes, easier to edit the raws; no. Still easier than using TWBT though.
Yes, transparency is supported.
Animations to a certain degree are possible, although I stopped working on SteamDF before that was finalized. Don't know if anything was done in that regard, but in theory it can work.
Male/Female: Yes, or to be more precise: Caste specific sprites work.
Adjacency: Yep.
Masterwork features: None (never asked to have any included), TWBT features: Pretty much everything and a lot more.

But yeah, I literally have no idea what has been going on in DF, Kitfox or regular version. I haven't been following anything for a while now.
Huh. Well, me neither these last few months.

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2022, 07:10:34 pm »

Moddable; yes, easier to edit the raws; no. Still easier than using TWBT though.
Yes, transparency is supported.
Animations to a certain degree are possible, although I stopped working on SteamDF before that was finalized. Don't know if anything was done in that regard, but in theory it can work.
Male/Female: Yes, or to be more precise: Caste specific sprites work.
Adjacency: Yep.
Masterwork features: None (never asked to have any included), TWBT features: Pretty much everything and a lot more.

Awesome. Guess I should be making natural wall categories then, similar to constructed walls, not one-tile boxes.

Huh. Well, me neither these last few months.

I just read up a bit. And oh no. There was drama. D: Just to make it clear to everyone: Meph asked for permission and has credited me (which wasn't necessary, as pointed out in my first post). I'm grateful that my sprites saw the light of day in a playable version.

A lot of the graphics innovations that tilesets have now is because of his experimentation with the raws and mifki's TWBT. And I (and probably a lot more people here) owe a lot to Masterwork and Meph answering questions. I'm not taking sides and I hope it all settles down, but I appreciate you, Meph, and what you've done for the modding community. <3
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:13:54 pm by Obsidian Soul »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2022, 06:47:14 am »

Lovely sprites! :)

These rise the prospect of having a graphics pack similar to the official one available for Classic/free version users as well. From a modder's perspective, this is nice since sprites can be made to fit both Classic and Premium at once. The only other graphics packs I've heard are getting updated are Vettlingr's and Bitlands by DragonDePlatino, and both of them are more stylistically distinctive, in a way that sprites not done specifically for them will look "off". (Meph might be doing something as well, but I haven't heard about it since the drama.)

And a few questions:

What is the order of the animal sprites? It seems to be based on the alphabetical order of the raw files, but then giant creatures are at the end, and birds are at the top of the list instead of toads and worms (creature_amphibian and creature_annelid preceding creature_birds and creature_birds_new).

How come the FBs/titans/night creatures are looping? Is that a quirk of making things work with TWBT?

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2022, 08:37:37 am »

Lovely sprites! :)

These rise the prospect of having a graphics pack similar to the official one available for Classic/free version users as well. From a modder's perspective, this is nice since sprites can be made to fit both Classic and Premium at once. The only other graphics packs I've heard are getting updated are Vettlingr's and Bitlands by DragonDePlatino, and both of them are more stylistically distinctive, in a way that sprites not done specifically for them will look "off". (Meph might be doing something as well, but I haven't heard about it since the drama.)

And a few questions:

What is the order of the animal sprites? It seems to be based on the alphabetical order of the raw files, but then giant creatures are at the end, and birds are at the top of the list instead of toads and worms (creature_amphibian and creature_annelid preceding creature_birds and creature_birds_new).

How come the FBs/titans/night creatures are looping? Is that a quirk of making things work with TWBT?

Thank you. :) Though after I've watched videos of the upcoming Kitfox version, I think it might be more prudent to wait until its first release at least before I continue with this. Or I might run the risk of having to redo more tiles than I would want (especially since multi-tile creatures are now seemingly possible).

Now that I look at the raws, I realize it's not alphabetical at all. LOL. My bad. But rows are separated. Unlike earlier creature sheets, these basically unify everything into two raw files. So I think I first started out trying to sort it alphabetically then gave up halfway through.

As for the repeating tiles, they are placeholders. I do not know how the Kitfox version will deal with it, but at the moment, it is impossible to create specific tiles for FBs/Titans/Night Creatures in the classic version, because they are procedurally generated in-game. Some examples from the wiki:

Code: [Select]
A gigantic snail composed of grime and filth.  It has wings and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its deadly spittle!
An enormous blob composed of water.  It has an enormous shell and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its webs!
A towering three-eyed pterosaur.  It has a long, curving horn and it has a gaunt appearance.  Its chocolate scales are jagged and overlapping.  Beware its hunger for warm blood!
A great humanoid composed of flame.  It has two short tails and it squirms and fidgets.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2022, 09:00:54 am »

(especially since multi-tile creatures are now seemingly possible).
You can draw up to 96x96 in size.

s for the repeating tiles, they are placeholders. I do not know how the Kitfox version will deal with it, but at the moment, it is impossible to create specific tiles for FBs/Titans/Night Creatures in the classic version, because they are procedurally generated in-game.
You need to draw the bodyshapes and appendages etc in separate sheets, those get assembled in code on the fly to create a sprite that fits the description.

Same system that the equipment uses, like a dwarf with an adamantine helmet gets the dwarf-sprite + the helmet sprite from two different images.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #250 on: February 10, 2022, 04:49:22 pm »

There are actually prospects of Toady releasing some of the new raws, without the sprites attached, some time before the release. He has talked about this in a few FotF replies (and an interview?). The idea is that modders should be able to familiarize themselves before Steam Workshop integration goes through.
I guess it depends on how smooth the integration goes though, if it has to be pushed to some release after the initial Steam release I could see the same happening to the example raws, given they might be less finalized then.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 10, 2022, 09:39:53 pm »

From the discord:
is there a way to get an idea of how the new tileset layout is going to work? I want to get started on updating my tileset to work with the steam release, but I have no idea what tiles are changing or in what ways
We have plans to make a modding guide when we have all the info!
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2022, 07:56:38 pm »

Nice work, really lovely. Maybe you and Meph should team up so we get a good alternative to Vettlingr's :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2022, 11:59:52 am »

Nice work, really lovely. Maybe you and Meph should team up so we get a good alternative to Vettlingr's :P
Mh.....  8)

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2022, 04:03:06 am »

Mh.....  8)
What? :D
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18