Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Legendary Armorer Raises Questions About.. Armor  (Read 1410 times)

New Legendary Armorer Raises Questions About.. Armor
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

Normally I'm super psyched to get a legendary armorer, but this time I have nothing but questions! I had a lowly miller take a strange mood and create this:

1) What is bifrost? I found a couple blurbs searching for info about it but the thing is, I have no idea how I got the material. I'm only a few z-levels down and I'll I've found is some iron and copper, and barely any gems let alone.. whatever the hell bifrost is. I take it that it is good, considering the value of the artifact is 410,000, almost doubling my fortress wealth.

2) What is Guardianplate?

3) What is the best way to leverage a legendary armorer early in the game? As I mentioned above, I only have access to iron and copper currently, but I know flux is down there somewhere so I'll eventually have steel. Should I consider making some really nice iron armor and etching runes, or is there some way to make good use of the armorer which I can't clearly see considering how many awesome changes there are from the vanilla I am used to?

Thanks for any tips you might have.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: New Legendary Armorer Raises Questions About.. Armor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:43:50 pm »

1) What is bifrost?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal

2) Guardianplate, is a good armor.  (covers a lot of the body.)  Not too much else to say about it.

3) Probably making armor is still his best job.  Whether iron is sufficient vs. whether you should go straight for steel depends more on your play style.... I'd go for steel if you expect to face enemies with steel weapons.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:45:23 pm by smakemupagus »
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:53:32 pm »

Thanks for sharing that link. I had actually looked at the entry for bifrost itself on the wiki, and it had little info. It didn't occur to me there would be a chart like that in a more general section. I do remember killing the frost giant, just a lone thief that was skulking around.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:22 am »

sure, no problem :D

so... that thing is about as good an artifact as you're going to get, and an legendary armorsmith too in the deal.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:28 am »

sure, no problem :D

so... that thing is about as good an artifact as you're going to get, and an legendary armorsmith too in the deal.

The best artifact I've had in years of playing DF on and off. I've had a few nice weapons here or there but never a really great armor piece. I dug down a few more levels since originally posting and I've found sphalerite and tons of gypsum and marble. Looks like I'll be making legendary steel armor in no time. Can't wait to play around with plate.