Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession of the Dwarven Throne  (Read 1904 times)

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession of the Dwarven Throne
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:38:07 am »

Now, I'm not sure on this but I sure an Interested. Does anyone know? How the hell does a new dwarf come to power when an old one dies?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Succession of the Dwarven Throne
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:17 am »

Firstborn next in line? I'm not so sure myself.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:49 am »

The token in the raws is [SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR] but that's as much as I really know about it.  I'm not entirely certain that it's actually implemented.  I think I've read recently that it's either unimplemented or badly broken, but I don't recall where I read it.

If it is broken, I might try making the monarch an elected position to see what happens.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:49 am »

I think in one of the previous announcements I saw Toady say he's going to be working on hereditary succession for the next release.

Here it is: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121197.0

So, the implication is that succession doesn't really work as it should yet, but will soon.

He's also talking about insurrections, so my hope is that hereditary succession will work for all the lesser nobles as well as the king.  I would love to see civil wars inside civilizations with families of different lords going to war against the king's family.  Maybe even commoners, like tanners and butchers, could have patriarch/ matriarchs and opportunities to usurp the throne themselves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:07:50 am by Hamsmagoo »

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:40 am »

Thanks for the link, Hamsmagoo.

There's a lot of room for variations on power structures and how people come to power.  I hope we get a lot to work with for modding.  Setting up different systems of government, and the ramifications thereof, could be very interesting.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:54:14 pm »

After some searching with Legends Mode and Legends Viewer, I can't find any kind of logic succession. The monarch's children doesen't take over the throne, it just some random dwarf who becomes the next monarch.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:02:41 pm »

After some searching with Legends Mode and Legends Viewer, I can't find any kind of logic succession. The monarch's children doesen't take over the throne, it just some random dwarf who becomes the next monarch.
The children should take over the throne, assuming they are 12 or older. Worldgen as it is, of course, often has the only eligible heirs being minors.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:15 am »

Hum, reminds me that I have a queen vampire with 10 children. If she dies, it`ll be very interesting.

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:07:38 am »

Here is a list of dwarven monarchs from a world I made. There are some succession laws in place here, so yeah, maybe it was fixed in a new release b/c I just downloaded on a new laptop but yeah.

-----

1-85              Mafol Gladshoots
85-150           Fikod Containedlabor

- Fikod had no heir -

151-156          Udil Amazedbolted

- was cursed to be a lizard
               and fled to the mountain
                of spinning -

157-305           Zasit Keysoldier
305-328           Minkot Bellsscales
328-341           Urdim Deertrumpets

- Unknown reason -

342-pres. (399) Litast Limbsalve

- Litast is a dwarf vampire.
- became a vamp inside her reign
- All monarch were queens
- each block is a dynasty (all descended from each other)

-----

Now god knows why Litast took over from the previous dynasty.
seems maybe there is randomly generated dominant gender but from a sample size of 1 it could be anything, lol.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:14:20 am by lionrt60 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »

Even as far back as 40d succession sorta worked, but I think children couldn't i herit, ehich meant dynasties being taken over by outsiders (cacame, tholtig, and posdibly the monarchs in your example were victims of this).

Furthermore, succession has no procedural rules or politics anout it and does not take place post world gen (if your baron dies, that's it!)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »

I've done extensive succession research on this in the past and there is a sort of pattern. If a monarch dies, a living son or daughter is choosen at random to be the next ruler. If there is no living offspring, even if they still have living grandchildren, the next king or queen is choosen at random from amongst the dwarves of that civilization. As to how it's chosen in fortress mode if they die in your fort I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:35:19 pm by BloodBeard »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:01 am »

I've done extensive succession research on this in the past and there is a sort of pattern. If a monarch dies, a living son or daughter is choosen at random to be the next ruler. If there is no living offspring, even if they still have living grandchildren, the next king or queen is choosen at random from amongst the dwarves of that civilization. As to how it's chosen in fortress mode if they die in your fort I don't know.
AFAIK in fprtress mode it doesn't. Once they die, you no longer have a monarch, the post remains empty.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

All monarchs being queens either implies some sort of cognatic primogeniture + a lot of luck in place, or some variant thereof where only females inherit (like reverse agnatic). It's probably random from specific dwarven civ to dwarven civ though, is what I'm guessing. When there are no direct heirs, I'm guessing the game looks of closest relative or picks a random dynasty.

I hope Toady fleshes out succession laws someday with CKII mechanics or something like that. Personally, if I was in charge, the throne goes to the dwarf whose name is closest to Stannis. Because the throne is his, by right.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 02:28:12 pm »

Personally, if I was in charge, the throne goes to the dwarf whose name is closest to Stannis. Because the throne is his, by right.

You MUST name your fort Dragonstone :D!