Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Chiptune  (Read 1644 times)

Wheat_Grinder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Chiptune
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »

I made a chiptune out of the Fortress Mode theme in Dwarf Fortress. Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/wheat_grinder/dwarf-fortress-finished

The last half is a bit shaky because I used the tab from www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54611.0 which didn't go into any detail about timing, but I got it fairly close overall I think.

Let me know what you think!

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Chiptune
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:29 pm »

Love it. I'mma replace the music file in my DF folder with that version.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:19 pm »

dang, I really liked this. Like you said, the second half isn't quite perfect -  but it still fits. Toady's tune is sort of sad, it feels like autumn to me. It reminds me of learning to play all those years ago, listening to this for hours on end.

On a side note, I really enjoyed Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me - I even looked up the original tune but your simplified version is just awesome. Did you create it by ear or is there music for it somewhere?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:39:42 pm »

urk, its the same repeating melodic line, without the nice warm sound of the mandolin.  It sounds like its being played on the world's cheapest organ.
  :-X
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Wheat_Grinder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:46:27 pm »

dang, I really liked this. Like you said, the second half isn't quite perfect -  but it still fits. Toady's tune is sort of sad, it feels like autumn to me. It reminds me of learning to play all those years ago, listening to this for hours on end.

On a side note, I really enjoyed Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me - I even looked up the original tune but your simplified version is just awesome. Did you create it by ear or is there music for it somewhere?

I grabbed it from piano sheet music, that's why it's simplified. That and Road of the Apotropaic God were me learning the software more than anything, as well as re-teaching my ear as well as I could after not having played an instrument in about 4 years. Dwarf Fortress was an attempt to transcript from a tab (bad idea) and more ear-training, plus a friend of mine wanted me to do it.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:56:24 am »

It sounds like its being played on the world's cheapest organ.

That is sort of the point of chiptunes. Like Dwarf Fortress itself, they are not for everyone.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:42:24 am »

my new background music.

edit: Got a bit further. It could use way less bpm, and perhaps a nicer sample.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:46:55 am by k33n »

orodoth

• Bay Watcher
  • A fat and drunken dwarf is a happy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:45:25 am »

I freaking LOVED it! To me the chip instruments used, actually gave it a darker feel. I applaud your efforts op.

Edit: I'd thoroughly enjoy setting "Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me" as the DF title screen. I think I've listened to it about 10 times now xD. Keep up the great work Wheat_Grinder!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:47:03 pm by orodoth »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »

urk, its the same repeating melodic line, without the nice warm sound of the mandolin.  It sounds like its being played on the world's cheapest organ.

Pretty sure that is a classical guitar Toady is playing in the default music, and not a mandolin...

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 09:03:18 pm »

It is.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 09:19:23 pm »

Could you do a version that sounds more NES-like?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 04:34:46 am »

Needs a bass line (idk what it's called but it sounds like the ocean swishing) but very good efforts dude.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »

Pretty sure that is a classical guitar Toady is playing in the default music, and not a mandolin...

the difference is academic to this academic.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku