Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The ability to bring waaaay too much stuff  (Read 2298 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The ability to bring waaaay too much stuff
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »

This is what the new version has brought us. What's the fun in being able to bring 300 units of alcohol? I thought this was supposed to be a challenge to survive.

Also, how the hell can one wagon hold 20+ barrels of food and drink?

This is not a signature.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ability to bring waaaay too much stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

I hope there's some huge downside to not bringing the anvil. Otherwise those 1000 points are too tempting.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

Either way. It's way too much stuff. Like f'reals.
This is not a signature.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

There were probably some people who thought there weren't enough points in the last version. I guess if you want a challenge, you don't have to spend them all.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

By the way, I should point out you can also bring along wooden logs for 3 points apiece.. so yeah, crank out those glacier fortresses!  :D

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:51:00 pm »

The extra starting points will really help new players, and if you want a challenge, leave 300 points unspent or something. I know it's hard to not powergame and get the best possible stuff, but it'll make the game more challenging for you.

I think the 'V' option (Visualize) is pretty sweet, even though it isn't supposed to be actually useful.

It seems like the up and down buttons are backwards; I keep trying to use <as> as up.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

up <> down is a roguelike tradition, but you can always remap them if you find it too confusing.

As far as the points go, yeah, I was really surprised to see how many you could have. At some point I need to test whether you still get an anvil later if you don't bring one.

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

Id say you wouldnt get an anvil if you dont bring one. Otherwise, whats the point?

Which means no metal items for you.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

one difference though is now you only get 1 wagon regardless of how much you bring. before people would tweak it to bring maximum wagons, thus getting a large number of free horses and mules

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Saktoth:
<STRONG>Id say you wouldnt get an anvil if you dont bring one. Otherwise, whats the point?

Which means no metal items for you.</STRONG>

since most maps have no magma its not that big a deal

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 04:00:00 am »

The town liaison comes with the first dwarf caravan, and you can order an anvil. You have to pay for it, but a dozen stone mugs in year 2 are worth 1000 extra points easy.

the only time I can see paying for an anvil is if you start with no trade with anyone (if that's even possible, islands seem to have links with dwarves in this version).

FWIW I have not gotten a metalsmith with a free anvil in any of my forts yet.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Skydancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

By the way, where are we supposed to find magma? Don't tell me I have to queue 20 jobs for each metal item just to harvest wood, make coal, smelt and create it...  :eek:

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skydancer:
<STRONG>By the way, where are we supposed to find magma? Don't tell me I have to queue 20 jobs for each metal item just to harvest wood, make coal, smelt and create it...   :eek:</STRONG>

Why... that would be... realistic!

I personally like it now that you have to choose between settling near magma and dealing with tons of imps and stuff from the start or starting with no magma and having to do it the real way. Magma was a crutch for a lot of people and let you mass produce tons of free wealth- now alloys like bronze are actually worth making over iron and stuff.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

Okay, I'm confused now.  Granted, I've only been able to play the new version for about an hour, but when I was getting ready to embark, it wouldn't let me bring any alcohol whatsoever.  Or Plump Helmet, or seeds or anything.  Just meat.  Lots and lots of meat and fish.

Did I miss something?

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

You probably spent all your points.  The item select screen only shows the things you can afford, and if you have no points, you can't afford anything.  Remove some skills or something and you'll see some items available.
Pages: [1] 2